fiberglass leaf springs

Old October 10th 05, 02:24 PM
IAN DONALDSON

Default fiberglass leaf springs

G'day

I am looking for some laminated fiberglass spring to us on the tailwheel of
my Murphy Rebel.

Could anyone advise me where I might purchase some?

thanks and regards

Ian Donaldson

Old October 10th 05, 04:37 PM
Cy Galley

My 1993 Buick Regal has a rear spring made of composite. Might get one of
these and cut it down. Buick has over 130,000 miles without the rear spring
giving problems.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

Old October 10th 05, 08:06 PM
Wallace Berry

In article RUv2f.471892$xm3.226915@attbi_s21,
"Cy Galley" wrote:

My 1993 Buick Regal has a rear spring made of composite. Might get one of
these and cut it down. Buick has over 130,000 miles without the rear spring
giving problems.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair
A Service Project of Chapter 75
EAA Safety Programs Editor - TC
EAA Sport Pilot

Chevy Astro van has composite real leaf springs. Probably get 'em nearly
free at a junk yard.

There's a Stits SA6b that has composite leaf springs off an Astro van as
gear legs. Pictures are he
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/1050A.htm
Old October 12th 05, 02:42 PM
Jeff

Ian,

Why not lay-up one yourself? It is really not that difficult or time
consuming. Many people have laid up their own fiberglass main landing
gears and tail springs. If you are interested I can give you some
basic instructions.

Jeff
Dragonfly N41GK

Old October 13th 05, 01:24 PM

Jeff,
I once had a Quickie ( Q1 ) that broke a tailspring. ( don't they
all ). Anyhew, I replace it with one designed for a Dragonfly and
never had a problem with it after that. The Dragonfly spring was a
different material of construction and shape than the Quickie's. I
don't remember where I ordered the Dragonfly spring, but I would like
to get another one for another project. Do you know who sells them
nowadays? Thanks

Neal