Overstocked on PDA's

Old December 1st 03, 06:42 PM
Ed Hollestelle

Default Overstocked on PDA's

We have too many iPaq's on hand.
All models: 31XX, 36XX,3765, 38XX and 39XX
Cables/GPS units (with iPaq cable and power converter), Colibri loggers and
LX160 computers.
Pleas give us a call at 519-461-1464
Ed Hollestelle / Solaire Canada

Old December 2nd 03, 12:58 AM
Jim Kelly

the 3950 is **clearly** the best of these for gliding . .

jk

Old December 2nd 03, 01:20 AM
Marc Ramsey

Jim Kelly wrote:
the 3950 is **clearly** the best of these for gliding . .

No, the 3950 is **clearly** the best for use under office lighting,
thanks to its transflective screen. The 36xx, 37xx, and 38xx have
reflective screens, which my eyes find somewhat easier to read under
direct sunlight. The 31xx may only have a grey scale screen, but it has
better contrast in direct sunlight than any of the color models. In
reality, none of these devices can beat the contrast or clarity of the
screens on the SN10 or B2000, but they do look prettier during those
moments when you can actually distinguish the colors...

Marc
Old December 2nd 03, 02:19 AM
Eric Greenwell

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Jim Kelly wrote:
the 3950 is **clearly** the best of these for gliding . .

No, the 3950 is **clearly** the best for use under office lighting,
thanks to its transflective screen. The 36xx, 37xx, and 38xx have
reflective screens, which my eyes find somewhat easier to read under
direct sunlight. The 31xx may only have a grey scale screen, but it has
better contrast in direct sunlight than any of the color models. In
reality, none of these devices can beat the contrast or clarity of the
screens on the SN10 or B2000,

Is this because of the screens used on the SN10/B2000, or because they
are mounted on the panel and mostly out of the sun and glare?

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old December 2nd 03, 02:54 AM
Marc Ramsey

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote:
No, the 3950 is **clearly** the best for use under office lighting,
thanks to its transflective screen. The 36xx, 37xx, and 38xx have
reflective screens, which my eyes find somewhat easier to read under
direct sunlight. The 31xx may only have a grey scale screen, but it
has better contrast in direct sunlight than any of the color models.
In reality, none of these devices can beat the contrast or clarity of
the screens on the SN10 or B2000,

Is this because of the screens used on the SN10/B2000, or because they
are mounted on the panel and mostly out of the sun and glare?

The real answer would have to come from an LCD expert. My experience
has been that my SN10 and Palm m100 had roughly the same (good) contrast
under sunlight and shade, the Aero 15xx was slightly worse, and the iPaq
31xx had even lower contrast (but still better than any color display).

The reflective color displays work OK in sunlight, with the backlight on
or off. They work in shade if the backlight is on. The transflective
displays are basically unreadable in sunlight or shade with the
backlight off, with the backlight full on in sunlight they are
marginally readable, OK in shade.

I think the clearest indication that there is a problem with using the
39xx in soaring, is that I am always experimenting with screen
protectors to try to eliminate glare and improve contrast. I never felt
the need with earlier models...

Marc

Old December 2nd 03, 04:56 AM
Jim Kelly

| The reflective color displays work OK in sunlight, with the
backlight on
| or off. They work in shade if the backlight is on.

However these units are quite old now and I find that even with my
current model h5550 I could happily have it's speed many fold better
.. . .
Afaicr no iPaq models have had this type of display for 2 years or
more?

The transflective
| displays are basically unreadable in sunlight or shade with the
| backlight off, with the backlight full on in sunlight they are
| marginally readable, OK in shade.

Hence we leave the backlight on (requires an efficient 5v supply
from the glider's battery) and need to solve the reflective issue.

| I think the clearest indication that there is a problem with using
the
| 39xx in soaring, is that I am always experimenting with screen
| protectors to try to eliminate glare and improve contrast. I never
felt
| the need with earlier models...

Perhaps you could add your findings for us, to the adjacent post?

The H3950 is not a current model, but it has some advantages over
it's replacement, the H5150 (simpler design, no Bluetooth, bigger
battery, adequate audio volume). The H3950 can be updated to the
latest firmware/operating system. And it has the large display (new
iPaqs have a 15% smaller display! - the H5xxx have the larger).

Thanks for your insight . . I had not appreciated that the displays
had changed a couple of years back and become harder to use in
sunlight. So much for progress!!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Old December 2nd 03, 05:25 AM
Marc Ramsey

Jim Kelly wrote:

| The reflective color displays work OK in sunlight, with the
backlight on
| or off. They work in shade if the backlight is on.

However these units are quite old now and I find that even with my
current model h5550 I could happily have it's speed many fold better

The extra speed (in comparison to earlier iPaqs) is only useful if
you're trying to display terrain. Since the terrain makes the display
even harder to read, I don't see much point to spending the extra money.

Afaicr no iPaq models have had this type of display for 2 years or
more?

That's correct, all Compaqs (and just about every other production PDA)
since the 39xx have used transflective displays, because they are vastly
better in the office environment.

The transflective
| displays are basically unreadable in sunlight or shade with the
| backlight off, with the backlight full on in sunlight they are
| marginally readable, OK in shade.

Hence we leave the backlight on (requires an efficient 5v supply
from the glider's battery) and need to solve the reflective issue.

The reflections are only part of the problem. The older models were
easier to read, even with reflections, as they had better contrast. The
newer transflective designs are getting brighter backlights, that should
help improve the sunlit display.

Marc
Old December 2nd 03, 10:54 PM
Marc Till

I have been happily using a 3760 iPAQ for two seasons now, with no
display visibility problem. The only drawback is actually the poor
autonomy on internal battery.

As I am flying club gliders, I am using a set of 4 D-size NiCd batteries
(4400 mAh @ 4.8 V) which allows for something like 10 hours with a
Navman 3000.

Marc

Old December 3rd 03, 02:56 AM
Jim Kelly

Can anyone remember the models in the H38xx range? How did they
differ? Since this was apparently the last of the 'better' *sunlit*
displays, it would be good to know which ones to snap up if they
become available second hand.

This Australian site shows that HP sell an upgrade to the latest
operating system for the H38xx (and H39xx, H54xx):
http://h50043.www5.hp.com/ppc2003/au/welcome.html

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Old December 3rd 03, 01:40 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I disagree that the older (3800 and before) screens were easier to read
outside. I think the 3900 and later a slightly better.

Paul Remde

u...