sunglasses

Old January 16th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default sunglasses

Hi,
I have been flying with Serengetti sunglasses for many years in a
sailplane with a clear
canopy. I bought a LS6 with a light blue tinted canopy which make my
cockpit to dark
when in the shade of cloud. Suggestion are welcome to solve this
problem.
Regards,
S6

Old January 16th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Put you`re glasses off?

Old January 16th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I cant see without my glasses

Old January 16th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There's not much you can do (except some sort of reactolite maybe) about
the additive affect of canopy and sunglasses so your options seem to be:
less tint in the sunglasses?
same colour sunglasses as canopy to minimise the range of colours filtered?

Old January 16th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I swear by Suntigers. I have worn them twenty years.
They won't correct this problem. Blue and orange
are on opposite sides of the color wheel and they will
make everything darker under a blue canopy.

Suntigers were developed from NASA technology to protedt
welders from UV from the welding torch. Blue canopies
cut down light, but they transmit all the UV. I've
never understood why they exist.

At 12:48 16 January 2006, Doug Hoffman wrote:

wrote:

I have been flying with Serengetti sunglasses for
many years in a
sailplane with a clear canopy. I bought a LS6 with
a light blue tinted
canopy which make my cockpit to dark when in the shade
of cloud.
Suggestion are welcome to solve this problem.

Suntigers use a yellow-ish tint that *may* solve your
problem.

See http://www.suntiger.com/ Tell them you are a
glider pilot so you
get the right tint.

Regards,

-Doug

Old January 16th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Get Scheyden flip up dual Rx specs and your problem
will be solved:

http://www.oxaero.com/Scheyden-DualRX.asp

Old January 16th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is something I am always fighting with my Porsche Windshield customers.
They all want the cool look of a tinted windshield, but complain about
visibility
on murky days. I suggest multiple helmet visors of varying densities and
the same
fix will work here. Get clear perscription lenses if you can't see without
glasses and
go to a good sporting goods store that has "flip down outfielder glassses".
The baseball
guys have this almopst figured out and I like their solution.

Old January 18th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nyal Williams wrote:
I swear by Suntigers. I have worn them twenty years.

I swear by mine as well.

They won't correct this problem. Blue and orange
are on opposite sides of the color wheel and they will
make everything darker under a blue canopy.

OK, I wasn't sure. I have been surprised at how well I can see with my
ST's in overcast conditions. Better with than without. According to
the maker, "By removing the blue light the eye can more sharply focus
on the remaining wavelengths of light.".

But then I have a clear canopy.

Regards,

-Doug

Sunglasses [email protected] Soaring 24 May 18th 10 04:32 AM
Great Fashion Designer Inspired Sunglasses Cookiestory Soaring 5 May 10th 05 12:18 PM
Sunglasses? Greg Butler Piloting 17 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
Best sunglasses for flying? xyzzy Owning 22 October 2nd 04 02:29 PM
Best sunglasses for flying? xyzzy Piloting 23 October 2nd 04 02:29 PM