Safety Pilot Qualification?

Old November 18th 03, 04:38 PM
Richard

Default Safety Pilot Qualification?

I'm sure this has be hashed over many times, but I can't find it now. In
the current issue of "IFR" (December, 2003), an editorial answer to a
reader's question contained the following - (referring to a safety pilot
requirements):

".... if you use a safety pilot and write that safety pilot's name in your
logbook, we'd highly suggest that you treat that safety pilot as a required
crewmember........... If the airplane is high performance, complex, or
tailwheel, that safety-pilot-required-crewmember should have those
additional endorsements, too."

For many years I have been under the impression that a safety pilot must
possess at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings
appropriate to the aircraft being flown. In my case, (182-RG), I don't
think that a safety pilot has to have any of the above additional
endorsements. Has something changed, or have I just been wrong all these
years?

Thanks in advance!

Old November 18th 03, 04:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"Richard" wrote in message t...
I'm sure this has be hashed over many times, but I can't find it now. In
the current issue of "IFR" (December, 2003), an editorial answer to a
reader's question contained the following - (referring to a safety pilot
requirements):

I have written the editor who published a correction, which is still wrong.

For many years I have been under the impression that a safety pilot must
possess at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings
appropriate to the aircraft being flown. In my case, (182-RG), I don't
think that a safety pilot has to have any of the above additional
endorsements. Has something changed, or have I just been wrong all these
years?

No Paul Berge just isn't that good of an editor. The safety pilot does not need
to meet the endorsement requirements unless he is going to be pilot in command.
A safety pilot can be, but isn't necessarily pilot in command.

Old November 18th 03, 11:13 PM
Kobra

".... if you use a safety pilot and write that safety pilot's name in

your
logbook, we'd highly suggest that you treat that safety pilot as a

required
crewmember........... If the airplane is high performance, complex, or
tailwheel, that safety-pilot-required-crewmember should have those
additional endorsements, too."

Notice it says "should have those..." It doesn't say is required to.
Sounds like a recommendation not the law.

Kobra

Old November 19th 03, 01:06 AM
Robert Henry

"Kobra" wrote in message
Notice it says "should have those..." It doesn't say is required to.
Sounds like a recommendation not the law.

Yes, but the phrasing attaches significance to the fact that the safety
pilot's name is written in the logbook when there is no correlation between
the two concepts. For example, consider this: If you type on a computer
keyboard to send a message, you should treat the message as confidential.

Old November 19th 03, 02:44 AM
John T

"Robert Henry" wrote in message

If you type on a computer keyboard to send a message, you should
treat the message as confidential.

Especially if you send the message to a USENET server...

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 19th 03, 03:04 AM
Robert Henry

"John T" wrote in message
ws.com...

Especially if you send the message to a USENET server...

Exactly.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:01 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:38:33 GMT, "Richard" wrote:

Has something changed, or have I just been wrong all these
years?

Nothing has changed.

IFR is wrong.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:38:33 GMT, "Richard" wrote:

a safety pilot must
possess at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings
appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

And also a current medical certificate.

Old November 22nd 03, 03:40 AM
Casey Wilson

I've been following this thread all along. It seems to me the simple answer
at the very beginning is that the "safety pilot" must be legal to fly the
airplane, period.

Old November 22nd 03, 12:32 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:40:41 GMT, "Casey Wilson"
wrote:

I've been following this thread all along. It seems to me the simple answer
at the very beginning is that the "safety pilot" must be legal to fly the
airplane, period.

Then you have inferred the wrong conclusion.

For example, to act as a safety pilot, you do NOT need to be current to
carry passengers.

If the aircraft requires an endorsement such as tail-dragger,
high-performance, complex -- the safety pilot does NOT require that
endorsement.