KX-155 static

Old September 9th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default KX-155 static

My patner and I have noticed increase in static in our headets lately.
Its not a squeltch issue, the static is continuous, even during
squeltch. The problem happens regardless of which comm #1 or #2 is
selected. Yesterday my partner turned off our KX-155 and the noise went
away!!! What could cause the KX-155 to put static through the headsets
even when its not the selected radio?

-Robert

Old September 9th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

Robert M. Gary wrote:
My patner and I have noticed increase in static in our headets lately.
Its not a squeltch issue, the static is continuous, even during
squeltch. The problem happens regardless of which comm #1 or #2 is
selected. Yesterday my partner turned off our KX-155 and the noise went
away!!! What could cause the KX-155 to put static through the headsets
even when its not the selected radio?

-Robert

A loose, corroded or poor ground somewhere is my first guess. Not
necessarily in the affected radio.

Dave
Old September 9th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 8-Sep-2006, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

What could cause the KX-155 to put static through the headsets
even when its not the selected radio?

Could be a lot of things. I suggest more troubleshooting and providing more
info.

Are the headsets connected through an intercom?

Are the headsets the same make/model? Are they passive or ANR? If you use
different headsets does the problem go away?

Does the -155 seem to work properly otherwise?

Does changing the frequency on the -155 (both com and nav) have any effect?
How about changing the -155's volume settings?

On the possibility that the problem resides in the -155's display (that is,
the display is generating electronic noise) , try setting it so that few
"segments" are lighted on all four frequency indications, then with as many
as possible, and see if that has any effect.

Is the static present If you route audio to the cabin speaker?

Ther are probably a lot more simple tests you can do. Record what you try
and the results. If nothing else, the info will help an avionics tech track
down the problem more quickly, saving you some bucks.

-Elliott Drucker

Old September 13th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

If your audio panel is like mine, the com1 and com2 buttons just select the
transmitter used, but the receive function can still be heard for both if
the 'Both' button is also selected.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert M. Gary wrote:
My patner and I have noticed increase in static in our headets lately.
Its not a squeltch issue, the static is continuous, even during
squeltch. The problem happens regardless of which comm #1 or #2 is
selected. Yesterday my partner turned off our KX-155 and the noise went
away!!! What could cause the KX-155 to put static through the headsets
even when its not the selected radio?

-Robert

Is my static port leaking? Derrick Early Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 15th 04 01:13 AM
Four Static Ports! Which to Use? John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL Soaring 3 May 18th 04 04:55 PM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 03:09 PM
Why a static port? Paul Mennen Owning 11 August 19th 03 04:58 AM
Static in KX-165A Chad Lemmen Owning 3 July 21st 03 09:57 PM