turbo stc?

Old October 2nd 04, 04:53 AM
The Weiss Family

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
Dave S writes:

To a purist, turbo-normalization is simply turbocharging the intake
system to no more than sea-level pressure. This offers no benefit on the
ground

Let's meet at Leadville for a discussion about this.

(My STCed turbonormalizers have been a royal pain in my wallet but I
sure wouldn't go without them.)

--kyler

My field elevation is 4700' and D.A. in the summer is over 7000'.
Not quite Leadville, but that's primarily why I'd like a turbo...

Old October 2nd 04, 02:05 PM
Dave S

Kyler, you got me.. and I must admit I was narrow minded in my thinking.
I live 30 feet MSL. I was thinking in local terms. Denver, Leadville,
Aspen.. all of the above, would benefit from a turbonormalized engine.

Dave

Old October 2nd 04, 05:00 PM
The Weiss Family

Yes... A tremendous about of paperwork, expensive certified engineering,
flight testing, and of course insurance. Once you're done with all that,

you have
*one* engine/airframe combination that's applicable. Put the same engine

in a
different airframe, and you have to do it all over again. (Well, maybe

not all of it,
but a lot of it).

Hmmm...
Paperwork is free (except for the time to manage it).

What type of certified engineering is needed?
Just like you, I am an electrical engineer with all kinds of certifications
(P.E., etc).
I also know plenty of mechanical engineers with their own certifications.
How expensive is it? Do you have any numbers? I'd be interested in
knowing.

I'd be more than happy to flight test a turbo in my plane!
Experimental planes need 40 hours. If the requirement for an STC is the
same, I would gladly do that standing on my head!

I agree that insurance is probably a bear. Any ideas on cost or where that
information could be found?

I'm sure a lot of people smarter and more enterprising than me have already
investigated this as a possible business, but I'd still like to see the
numbers to see if it is feasible. It seems to me that if you started with
an STC for a couple of the more popular models, it might be possible.
But then again, I'd need to see some real numbers.

And, of course, the whole reason I'm interested in this as a business is
because I really want to turbo-normalize my plane ;-)

Thanks,

Adam

Old October 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
john smith

See the review in this month's AOPA PILOT magazine.

Nigel T Peart wrote:
There is a US company that has an STC for a belt-driven supercharger for the
C182.
Can't find the URL right now, but I recall it costing about $17k.
Much better option than a turbo, no pressure/leak related issues.
Gets my vote.

Old October 3rd 04, 09:51 AM
Nigel T Peart

OK, found the link!

http://www.forcedaeromotive.com/

"Aaron Coolidge" wrote in message
The Weiss Family wrote:
: Has anyone heard of either a turbo or supercharger STC for an IO-360?
: In particular, an IO-360-A2B?

: It seems that there would be a HUGE market for a turbo upgrade.

STC's are for a specific airframe/engine combo. M20turbos has a
turbonormalizer for Lycoming IO-360 Mooneys (IO-360-A3B6D). They're
at http://www.m-20turbos.com/turbo_kits.htm but I don't know how much
longer they'll be around.
--
Aaron Coolidge

Old October 3rd 04, 04:22 PM
The Weiss Family

"Dave S" wrote in message
ink.net...
Into what kind of plane are you wanting to put this? Just for questions
sake..?

Dave

1966 Beech Super III
Lycoming IO-360-A2B

Old October 3rd 04, 04:30 PM
The Weiss Family

"Nigel T Peart" wrote in message

OK, found the link!

http://www.forcedaeromotive.com/

Holy Cow! $20K?
I'm sure they're trying to recover their R&D costs.
But at that price, it's prohibitive for many owners.

That's why I was wondering where the disparity with a high-end automotive
system priced at $4K comes from.
I would be willing to pay over double that for a supercharger in my plane,
but 5X seems a bit high.

Is it even conceivable to think that there could ever be a supercharger
system for the masses?

Adam

Old October 3rd 04, 07:21 PM
Nigel T Peart

If the masses buy this supercharger, the cost will come down,hey?
It's all about 'economies of scale'.
I hope this supercharger IS successful, as I believe it's a far more
reliable option than
a turbo conversion can ever be. OK, not as much performance, but
probably enough for most folk.

Old October 3rd 04, 07:39 PM
The Weiss Family

"Nigel T Peart" wrote in message
If the masses buy this supercharger, the cost will come down,hey?
It's all about 'economies of scale'.
I hope this supercharger IS successful, as I believe it's a far more
reliable option than
a turbo conversion can ever be. OK, not as much performance, but
probably enough for most folk.

I agree with the "economies of scale" idea, and I REALLY hope that happens,
and that they STC more aircraft in the future.
Hopefully the current price is low enough to get the ball rolling...