Instrument rated?

Old January 16th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

Default Instrument rated?

Are you instrument rated?

.. Are you tired of paying for instrument procedures you don't use?
.. Would you like to develop your own custom library of procedures?
.. Would you like to update your library automatically and unattended?
.. Would you like hands free Duat access for weather and filing flight plans?
.. Also Pocket PC support and laptop/tablet sync?
.. Would you like METAR/TAF weather by pointing with your mouse?
.. And an EFB?

If you answered Yes then go to:
http://cmensys.com

Old January 16th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:08:53 -0800, Greg Siemon wrote:

Are you instrument rated?

. Are you tired of paying for instrument procedures you don't use?
. Would you like to develop your own custom library of procedures?
. Would you like to update your library automatically and unattended?
. Would you like hands free Duat access for weather and filing flight plans?
. Also Pocket PC support and laptop/tablet sync?
. Would you like METAR/TAF weather by pointing with your mouse?
. And an EFB?

If you answered Yes then go to:
http://cmensys.com

From a users point of view (PIREP) on the above program.... I have been
using this program for about a month. I have no relationship to the
programmer *smile*, just a very satisfied user. Below are some rambling
thoughts from my experiences with the program (in no particular order).

The above only touches the surface of what the program can do. Once you
get past the learning curve, which took me about an hour or so (FAQ and
directions on the homepage are outstanding), you can do the following:

File VFR and IFR flight plans. For me, I found it way "too easy" and ended
up checking with FSS to see if indeed they got it.

For those that were prior to web based interaction with DUATS, the program
does allow interactive terminal access rather then the automated way should
you choose this method. A lot of flexibility built in...

Create a "trip tick" (like AAA) which is called trip pack in the program.
This extracts all approach procedures for all aiports in your flight path
(restricted to the corridor width you determine).

Makes IFR much easier in planning for alternates, since this trip pack
pulls all airports ONLY within your path. Also, organizes the charts you
need in the order of your flight, which would make it much easier to find
the "nrst" airport procedures rather then thumbing through NACO charts that
I used in the past (which in my case may be in an entire different book for
my long XC's).

Once you get used to the "drag and drop" feature of the program, creating
trip packs are a snap.

Because you are downloading procedures over the internet, high bandwidth
access would be recommended.

Reduces weight in your plane. While the printing can be extensive (stock
up on your printer cartridges and paper), it sure beats carrying NACO
charts for states you will not be entering especially if you are only doing
an in-state cross country. I have reduced a flight bag down to a notebook
containing only the approach charts and XC enroute maps I need.

At a glance on the map, shows the METAR weather (not radar), which for me
gives a great overview of the weather within the very same program that I
can get my charts. TAFs are displayed when you put your mouse over the
airport.

Program has been significantly upgraded since I began using it and
programmer has been extremely responsive to my questions when I have
contacted him.

The program is designed for IFR pilots, though VFR pilots may get some use
out of the weather feature since it shows only the text weather underneath
your flight path. It leaves nothing to the imagination. AOPA flight
planner shows the radar echoes, but no text. Can't run Golden Eagle flight
planner to comment on my low end computer.

The maps do not (at this time anyway) show airspace (B, C and D), but for
IFR flights, airspace is transparent anyway. Maps do not show victor
routes.

The program DOES NOT require a lot of computer horsepower. It runs
perfectly fine on my 500 mhz pentium 768K memory machine. Runs much more
efficiently then Golden Eagle flight planner, and some what more
efficiently then AOPA Real Time Flight planner.

Can't give a PIREP on the EFB portion, since I don't have a tablet PC.

Allen
Old January 16th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Thanks for the PIREP Allen!! I'll give this a whirl and see how it
behaves. Just more proof of how valuable these NG's are. Thanks again!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

A Lieberman wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:08:53 -0800, Greg Siemon wrote:

Are you instrument rated?

. Are you tired of paying for instrument procedures you don't use?
. Would you like to develop your own custom library of procedures?
. Would you like to update your library automatically and unattended?
. Would you like hands free Duat access for weather and filing flight plans?
. Also Pocket PC support and laptop/tablet sync?
. Would you like METAR/TAF weather by pointing with your mouse?
. And an EFB?

If you answered Yes then go to:
http://cmensys.com

From a users point of view (PIREP) on the above program.... I have been

Old January 16th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

I'll second Al's PIREP, at least as far as the plate packs are concerned. I
have paid for Seattle Avionics' Smart Plates and had been using it but have
switched to Greg's package. For one thing, the printed charts are clearer.
Also, Smart Plates is huge and slow. ATP is small and fast.

If you supplement ATP with FinePrint (www.fineprint.com) you can easily print
booklets of plates, two sided. I have one called "metro practice approaches"
that I just print a fresh copy every once in a while.

(FinePrint is a pretty handy gadget for other things, too, like printing
avionics reference manuals in approach plate sized booklets. Take the output to
OfficeBizMaxMart and get it coil bound for three bucks and you have an easily
portable manual. There is a free demo download.)

I have no relation to Greg either but have been helping with the testing of the
app and have seen as it has developed.

YMMV

Old January 16th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

I have to admit that Greg's program is one of the better ones I've ever
found. My hat's off to someone with the smarts to create this.

Clyde Campbell
N62447

Old January 22nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

Greg Siemon wrote:

Are you instrument rated?

. Are you tired of paying for instrument procedures you don't use?
. Would you like to develop your own custom library of procedures?
. Would you like to update your library automatically and unattended?
. Would you like hands free Duat access for weather and filing flight
plans? . Also Pocket PC support and laptop/tablet sync?
. Would you like METAR/TAF weather by pointing with your mouse?
. And an EFB?

If you answered Yes then go to:
http://cmensys.com

Greg,

It looks like your program will solve my approach plate subscription problem
nicely. I have two questions, however. 1) Is the NACO DVD the same one that
Sportys sells, and 2) do you plan to provide Low Alt. Enroute charts in the
future?

Rick Graves - N34759 - 1974 C177B
Old January 29th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

Thanks for the lead to Fine Print. Very nice! I'll print my destination
plates larger but use the 2 front and 2 back for the airports along the way
that I hopefully will not be using ; ^ ). Don

Old January 30th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.products,rec.aviation.student

On 1/29/2006 1:23 PM, Doc wrote the following:
Thanks for the lead to Fine Print. Very nice! I'll print my destination
plates larger but use the 2 front and 2 back for the airports along the way
that I hopefully will not be using ; ^ ). Don

You're welcome. FWIW, I buy the Air Chart Systems plates (you get one set of
plates a year with monthly update sheet) and carry those as backup for an
off-plan airport. Then I don't have to guess ...

I buy a single region (5 books of plates) for $70/year. Since the update sheet
is for the entire country I can buy additional books as I need them and they are
updated for the balance of the subscription year as well.