Buddy Holly crash

Old February 5th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Buddy Holly crash

This contains an angle on the story that I'd never heard befo that
Holly's pilot radioed another pilot that he was in trouble just before
the crash.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/news01.txt

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 5th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
This contains an angle on the story that I'd never heard befo that
Holly's pilot radioed another pilot that he was in trouble just before
the crash.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/news01.txt

That is a weird article.

Sounds like what we read in Southern California every time someone
prangs into the mountains around here during a winter storm. "Oh, he
was such a good pilot!" (translated, "Now, if only that nasty mountain
hadn't gotten in his way!")
Old February 5th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:
This contains an angle on the story that I'd never heard befo that
Holly's pilot radioed another pilot that he was in trouble just
before the crash.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/news01.txt

That is a weird article.

Sounds like what we read in Southern California every time someone
prangs into the mountains around here during a winter storm. "Oh, he
was such a good pilot!" (translated, "Now, if only that nasty
mountain hadn't gotten in his way!")

True.

Have you ever read of anyone's saying: "He was a careless guy who was
bound to crash someday?"

If one goes by the media testimony of acquaintences, only good pilots
crash.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 5th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Absent and real evidence, what would any pilot in this newsgroup
suggest as the acause of the crash if he read a 700 total time non
instrument rated pilot took off at night, flew into IMC and icing, and
crashed?

Sure, there are exceptions, but come on, guys and gals. 90 degree bank
at impact does not suggest the airplane was under control, does it?

Old February 5th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
Have you ever read of anyone's saying: "He was a careless guy who was
bound to crash someday?"

Actually, yes. A very experienced pilot was killed and his passenger
almost killed when doing something the whole aviation community had seen
him repeatedly do, and many of his peers had counseled him. Very sad
that it happened, of course ... but yes, people predicted it before it
happened and were saying *exactly* what you quoted above after.
Old February 5th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
wrote:

Sounds like what we read in Southern California every time someone
prangs into the mountains around here during a winter storm. "Oh, he
was such a good pilot!" (translated, "Now, if only that nasty
mountain hadn't gotten in his way!")

True.

Have you ever read of anyone's saying: "He was a careless guy who was
bound to crash someday?"

No. But, I heard it a lot in my airport bum days.
Old February 5th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Have you ever read of anyone's saying: "He was a careless guy who
was
bound to crash someday?"

Actually, yes. A very experienced pilot was killed and his passenger
almost killed when doing something the whole aviation community had
seen
him repeatedly do, and many of his peers had counseled him. Very sad
that it happened, of course ... but yes, people predicted it before it
happened and were saying *exactly* what you quoted above after.

Yes, but we were talking about what we see quoted in the media.

A recent fatal crash around here had very similar circumstances to the
ones you describe, but the "We told him so!" comments never appeared on
TV.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 5th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
wrote:

Sounds like what we read in Southern California every time someone
prangs into the mountains around here during a winter storm. "Oh, he
was such a good pilot!" (translated, "Now, if only that nasty
mountain hadn't gotten in his way!")

True.

Have you ever read of anyone's saying: "He was a careless guy who was
bound to crash someday?"

Yes, as a matter of fact. Several USAF Officers had complained about
"Colonel Bud Holland's" flying for a long time until the fatal crash of
a B-52 at Fairchild AFB in 1994.
http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/p...e/darkblue.htm

JPH
Old February 5th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 07:11:49 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

This contains an angle on the story that I'd never heard befo that
Holly's pilot radioed another pilot that he was in trouble just before
the crash.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...ews/news01.txt

Given a non-instrument rated pilot flying night IMC during conditions
conducive to icing (in a non-ice certified a/c), I would say that he was in
trouble *long* before the crash.

Old February 6th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message news:ZQrFf.21693$sA3.18220@fed1read02...
Dan Luke wrote:
wrote:

Sounds like what we read in Southern California every time someone prangs
into the mountains around here during a winter storm. "Oh, he was such a
good pilot!" (translated, "Now, if only that nasty mountain hadn't
gotten in his way!")

True.

Have you ever read of anyone's saying: "He was a careless guy who was
bound to crash someday?"

No. But, I heard it a lot in my airport bum days.

We call them 'matter of timers.'

Buddy Holly crash Dan Luke Piloting 19 February 9th 06 03:00 PM
Doubts raised in jet crash Dave Butler Piloting 8 July 26th 05 01:25 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 02:38 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 04:34 PM