No touch and go's?

Old September 4th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Jones

Default No touch and go's?

In many airports out there, you'll find in the AFD in the comments
section, "No touch and go landings", and/or "no practice approaches".
A few examples off the top of my head:

http://airnav.com/airport/ksac
http://airnav.com/airport/kcpm

What exactly is meant by this? No touch and go landings period, or
just don't do multiple touch and go's, as in buzzing around the
pattern for an hour? It seems kind of weird to me that an airport
would totally not allow touch and go landings. I can understand not
allowing multiple touch and go's, as they create a lot of noise,
negatively effect arrivals and departures, and generally can be a big
nuisance. Compared to a full stop/taxi back, a touch and go is more
efficient, arguably less noisy, and less of a burden on other traffic
(how many times have you had to go around because some joker had to
taxi to the next taxiway?)

Is there something I'm missing?

Old September 4th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

John Jones wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Your missing the noise foot print which depends on how high you are.
Using the full length of the runway, your aircraft will be higher by the
time it crosses over the homes. The higher you are, the less noise on the
ground.

The restriction at KSAC is only from 9 PM to 6 AM. At KCPM it
applies 24/7. I've got a similar restriction, 9 PM to 7 AM, at my home
field, KRHV. Of course, when KRHV opened, it was in the middle of farm
country. Then morons built homes right off the end of the runway and
complained about the noise.

What I find amusing at KRHV is that they prohibit touch & go landings,
but do not prohibit intersection departures or stop & go landings.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old September 4th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john

Marty Shapiro wrote:
John Jones wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

And I've seen them for overall length issues. My home airport is 2500
feet with 2-400 foot displaced thresholds so T&G would not be very safe
there.
Old September 4th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

John Jones wrote:
In many airports out there, you'll find in the AFD in the comments

What exactly is meant by this?

Just what it says.

No T&G's means NO TOUCH AND GOES. G No T&G nights, means none at
night. One of my local fields allows them in one direction, but not the
other.

If in doubt, simply call the field and ask.
Old September 4th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 4, 5:18 am, john wrote:

And I've seen them for overall length issues. My home airport is 2500
feet with 2-400 foot displaced thresholds so T&G would not be very safe
there.

Some might have safety issues with touch-and-goes. Transport Canada
says that the touch-and-go is statistically risky and that numerous
accidents have been recorded during such operations. The pilot is
frequently distracted by cleaning up the airplane for the takeoff and
loses control, forgets flaps or carb heat, etc.

Dan

Old September 4th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

john wrote in news:iabDi.15723$453.15626@trndny02:

Marty Shapiro wrote:
John Jones wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

That really depends on the aircraft you're flying. Stop and go on a
1,500' strip is not a problem for some aircraft.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old September 4th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
joe

http://airnav.com/airport/ksachttp:/...m/airport/kcpm

What exactly is meant by this? No touch and go landings period, or
just don't do multiple touch and go's, as in buzzing around the

just ignore it
If the airport is a public use airport and receives federal money then
the local town/ city cannot place restrictions
on its use.
you as the PIC decide if you want to stop do a touch and go....
Our local airport tried that with some of the mechanic owners who were
servicing their own aircraft, telling them they can't work on their
own airplanes.
Joe

Old September 4th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Jones

On Sep 4, 12:18 am, Richard Riley wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 21:48:23 -0700, John Jones
wrote:

[...]

The ones that I've dealt with have had a no touch and go rule for the
weekends, when there's a lot of traffic. 3 planes in the pattern
doing touch and goes, and that's about all a runway can handle.

Basically, the idea is if you want to do touch and goes, go to another
airport that doesn't have that much traffic. There's usually one
within a 15 minute flight anyway.

So you're saying restrictions like these only applies to multiple
touch and go's, not just one? When I do XC's with my students, we
always just do a single touch and go, then depart back. It's quick,
efficient, and arguably produces less noise. It seems kind of silly
that an airport would force you to do a full stop...

Old September 4th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Jones

On Sep 4, 4:18 am, john wrote:
And I've seen them for overall length issues. My home airport is 2500
feet with 2-400 foot displaced thresholds so T&G would not be very safe
there.

Do you have an example of an airport that prohibits touch and go's
because of runway length issues? I know of a few 2500 foot runways in
my area that don;t have restriction, even though I agree it would be
rather risky to do a touch and go at those places...

Old September 4th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Jones

On Sep 4, 4:35 am, B A R R Y wrote:
John Jones wrote:
In many airports out there, you'll find in the AFD in the comments

What exactly is meant by this?

Just what it says.

No T&G's means NO TOUCH AND GOES. G No T&G nights, means none at
night. One of my local fields allows them in one direction, but not the
other.

Doesn't it seem weird that an airport would prohibit a touch and go,
but a full stop/taxi back is perfectly allowed? I'm talking about one
single touch and go, not multiple ones.

If in doubt, simply call the field and ask.

Been there, done that. After being put on hold for about 20 minutes,
I'll get some desk monkey who doesn't even know what a touch and go is.

Touch Down Maple1 Aviation Photos 1 August 3rd 07 05:12 PM
Touch Down Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 August 3rd 07 04:53 AM
DEN touch n go without a fee? Ron Lee Piloting 22 September 3rd 06 09:57 PM
Are you gliding when you touch down? John Doe Piloting 29 January 23rd 05 12:52 AM
Exterior touch-up PaulH Owning 1 June 12th 04 03:30 PM