FS2k4

Old July 31st 03, 12:58 AM

Default FS2k4

My earlier impression was that A Century of Flight wan't much better than
FS2K2. Now that I've used it for much of the afternoon, I changed my
opinion. It looks and runs better than my FS2K2. The only problem ( flaw )
is the color of the water textures. They are far too light for reality.

Old July 31st 03, 04:28 PM
Skyhawk

I agree with your comments. The lakes around my area (North Georgia) have
changed from a realistic color in FS2K2 to looking more like those of the
Caribbean in FS2K4. I tried to use the highest quality display settings and
with a 1.8 GHz P4 and a GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB I was only getting frame
rates in the middle single digits. I have found the highest medium settings
to work the best with my system. I have transferred several aircraft from
FS2002 and all have worked well. I have had no problems with the heavies
from Project Open Sky. I have to work around moving the 737-400 folder with
six different versions and maintain the new interactive virtual cockpit of
the new 737-400. The weather is so much better than previous versions, and
is better than that found in the FLY II series. ATC is much better and as a
whole is better for practicing instrument approaches. Practicing with
flight simulator makes things easier when getting into the "real" airplane.
I have used both the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 and the CH Products Yoke
and Pedals with FS2K4 and all work well and the same as FS2K2. I have tried
a few of the new planes and I really like the DC-3 even though I have
several freeware versions, this one is much better. So overall, I am happy
with FS 2004 and I think it continues to move the series in the right
direction and is not a step backward as FS 2000 was in some ways. I wonder
what system I will need to run the simulator with all settings maxxed???