Problem Best Electronic E6B?

Old November 13th 05, 10:14 PM
Lakeview Bill

Default Problem Best Electronic E6B?

First, let me thank everyone who responded, at least you tried to contribute
something. But my experience here points up a problem I have noticed
creeping into this, and many other, newsgroups.

In short, the question was not whether I needed a horse, but which of three
horses to buy.

You see, I had already made the decision to put an electronic E6B on my
Christmas list, based on my own criteria. What I was trying to determine
which electronic E6B would be best.

While anything is possible, I really don't think that choosing a electronic
E6B over a whiz wheel is going to get me killed, so there was really no need
for anyone to try to influence that decision. Had I been asking if it would
be better for me to use the engine from a Vespa or the engine from a Honda
scooter to re-engine a Bonanza, I think would be prudent for anyone
commenting to say that it might be prudent to consider another alternative
entirely.

In fact, I did not get a single response addressing which among the three
models I mentioned would be best, so please allow me to try again:

I have already eliminated the Jepp model since it is being discontinued, so,
which do you guys think is the better unit, the CX-2 Pathfinder Flight
Computer or the Sporty's E6B?

Again, tanks to everyone who responded, but please let's just stick with the
question I am asking...

Old November 13th 05, 10:56 PM
Terry

Bill

Have the Sportys E6B for several years...no problems, easy
to use.

Liked the comment about the 3 horses, hard to get a
"straight" answer

Terry
PPSEL

In short, the question was not whether I needed a horse, but
which of three
horses to buy.

snipped

Old November 13th 05, 11:21 PM
Peter Clark

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:14:52 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
wrote:

I have already eliminated the Jepp model since it is being discontinued, so,
which do you guys think is the better unit, the CX-2 Pathfinder Flight
Computer or the Sporty's E6B?

I use the ASA CX-2.
Old November 13th 05, 11:54 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Lakeview Bill" said:
Again, tanks to everyone who responded, but please let's just stick with the
question I am asking...

You're really not familiar with Usenet, are you?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and
Old November 14th 05, 12:39 AM
Jay Honeck

Again, tanks to everyone who responded, but please let's just stick with
the
question I am asking...

It's not that we're not sticking to the subject, it's that we're trying to
save you from buying an utterly useless device.

It's somewhat akin to buying Super Unleaded gasoline for a Ford Festiva.
Sure, it won't kill ya, but it's sure a waste of good money.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 14th 05, 03:04 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Again, tanks to everyone who responded, but please let's just stick with
the
question I am asking...

It's not that we're not sticking to the subject, it's that we're trying to
save you from buying an utterly useless device.

It's somewhat akin to buying Super Unleaded gasoline for a Ford Festiva.
Sure, it won't kill ya, but it's sure a waste of good money.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Serious thread drift, but how many of us actually use an E6B these days
anyway? Personally, I'm too lazy, especially when I have a GPS on-board.
Back in the days where people were flying without nav-aids, I'm sure it was
great to have the 'ol E6B to estimate drift angles and the like, but with a
GPS, it gives accurate and instant feedback so I can handle drift (and ETA
and a hundred other things) real-time.

KB

Old November 14th 05, 03:10 AM
George Patterson

Lakeview Bill wrote:

I have already eliminated the Jepp model since it is being discontinued, so,
which do you guys think is the better unit, the CX-2 Pathfinder Flight
Computer or the Sporty's E6B?

I have the ASA and like everything except the dim display. I've not tried the
Sporty's unit, but, IME, everything at Sporty's is overpriced.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 14th 05, 04:05 AM
Arnold Sten

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

[...]

I use my sporty's E6B all the time, not so much for navigation but for
W&B, and Density Altitude calculations. Heck, I even use it
once-in-a-while as a timer for non-aviation activities. And since my
wife is forever mis-placing our regular desk calculator, its nice to
know that I always have my "own" calculator ready and waiting in my
flight bag (she doesn't get into that bag).
Old November 14th 05, 04:20 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Now I am curious. What kind of calculations can you do except divide by
60?

Old November 14th 05, 04:41 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now I am curious. What kind of calculations can you do except divide by
60?

Now *I'm* curious, did you not realize how it is an E6B accomplishes "divide
by 60"?

The core of an E6B is simply a circular slide rule. As with a basic linear
slide rule, you have two logarithmic scales that allow you to perform any
multiplication or division you like.

The "60" is highlighted, and the regular logarithmic scale is paralleled by
a conversion from minutes to hours. This makes time-speed-distance
calculations even easier. But they don't restrict your use of the slide
rule.

Pete