Electric maned airplane

Old July 18th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Default Electric maned airplane

Morgans wrote:
Check this news story bout about an airplane powered by household batteries.
Interesting.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...-PLANE-DC.html
--
Jim in NC

Cool. Too bad there's no pictures of it. BTW, the people in RAH might
be interested also.

Monk

Old July 18th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Morgans schrieb:

Check this news story bout about an airplane powered by household batteries.
Interesting.

Not as interesting as you might think. Electric planes which you can
actually buy have been around for quite some time, and they fly more
than 1283 feet, albeit on lithium accus rather than household batteries:

http://www.lange-flugzeugbau.de/engl.../menu-prod.htm

Stefan
Old July 18th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

The group from the Tokyo Institute of Technology
flew the plane a distance of 1,283 feet...
[on] the trip, which lasted about one minute.
The power was provided by 160 AA batteries.

Let's see, to go six hundred miles, that would be about
2600 x 160 = 416,000 batteries.
That would clean out my local Radio Shack.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 18th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Daniels

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Stefan" wrote

Not as interesting as you might think. Electric planes which you can
actually buy have been around for quite some time, and they fly more
than 1283 feet, albeit on lithium accus rather than household batteries:

http://www.lange-flugzeugbau.de/engl.../menu-prod.htm

I was unable to find on that, or on linked pages, that it had flown as a
rise off the ground airplane.
--
Jim in NC

It has flown. It can climb about 10,000 feet on one battery charge or
cruise about 100 miles.

Old July 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Morgans schrieb:

I was unable to find on that, or on linked pages, that it had flown as a
rise off the ground airplane.

Look at the videos. Or take my word. (There are two such beasts based on
my airfield.)

Stefan
Old July 18th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Morgans schrieb:

How much for a new battery pack?

Expected life of the battery pack is 11 years or 1500 cicles. After
that, they must be replaced. Right now, the pack costs around $8000 or
so, but I don't know how much it will be in 11 years.

Stefan

Old July 19th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Morgans schrieb:

Not as bad as I thought it would be. How is the rate of climb, with no
thermal assist?

http://www.lange-flugzeugbau.de/engl...u/menu-akt.htm
Old July 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

http://www.lange-flugzeugbau.de/engl...es/techdat.htm