Night flying in the mountians in a cessna 150,

Old February 21st 05, 06:53 AM
NW_PILOT

Default Night flying in the mountians in a cessna 150,

Hello, I had a fun trip Friday 02-18-05 during the day I went from KVUO to
KDLS to 63S "Colville Municipal Airport" 3.6 hours that drop off "cliff" at
the end of 19 is very interesting. Well went to see a relative I hadn't seen
for a long time was a fun day and ended back at my airplane about 7pm and
was wished a safe journey back home.

I departed 63S about 7:30pm calm winds and clear skies were being reported
for the entire trip home over the mountain ranges. I can say that yes it is
black out there at night and every little noise is amplified when flying
over dark mountainous terrain. The winds were not as expected took 2.7 hours
to fly VFR GPS direct to KYKM. From KYKM to KVUO it took another 2.4 hours
pluss the high clouds blocked out the stars and almost all the moon light.

What a day 8.7 hours of flying 5.1 at night got to see some relatives I
hadn't seen in years. My flight time in the last 4 weeks as of today has
been 69.2 hours total I expect to put in another 30 to 40 hours in the next
week or two if this weather holds I may even fly my 150 down to Las Vegas or
Something now that I can go 50 hours between oil changes.

My goal is to be have 500 hours Total Time by 12-31-2005 I am sitting at 234
I hope my pocket book and 150 can handle it.

--
Steven Rhine
PP-ASEL

Old February 21st 05, 05:45 PM
Steve.T

Just a word of caution:

As an instrument student, you should be painfully aware that night
flight, with high clouds over mountainous terrain can cause
disorientation.

I love to fly at night - easy to see other a/c, and if on IFR, the
clouds can appear as pastel apparitions. But in the dark with few
lights below and none above, you can have a real battle making yourself
believe the guages - "I am not inverted. I am not inverted."

Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Old February 21st 05, 07:52 PM
NW_PILOT

"Steve.T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just a word of caution:

As an instrument student, you should be painfully aware that night
flight, with high clouds over mountainous terrain can cause
disorientation.

I love to fly at night - easy to see other a/c, and if on IFR, the
clouds can appear as pastel apparitions. But in the dark with few
lights below and none above, you can have a real battle making yourself
believe the guages - "I am not inverted. I am not inverted."

Later,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument

Yep, it was a real Erie feeling like the feeling I got my first time in
actual IFR what was even weirder it was so calm it did not even feel like we
were moving just standing still in the black open space. I had the airplane
trimed up so it would almost fly itself. My son went to sleep on me and the
batteries died in the CD player and there was no traffic for about 2 hours
on the last leg. I called Seattle on the radio "I was on flight following"
to make sure they were still there every now and then.

--
Steven Rhine
PP-ASEL

Old February 21st 05, 09:06 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

Yep, it was a real Erie feeling like the feeling I got my first time in
actual IFR what was even weirder it was so calm it did not even feel like

we
were moving just standing still in the black open space. I had the

airplane

I'm a low-time pilot (~220 hrs), recently instrument rated. I've only truly
scared myself a few times in an airplane, one of which was my first night
flight a few months after getting my private. It was a crystal-clear night,
early fall in New England. It had been six months or so since I'd flown at
night, first time solo. I took off, and within about a minute got that
"ohmigod I don't know wtf I am" feeling. I fly near Boston so there was just
a carpet of lights everywhere below me. Very pretty actually. After a few
nervous moments I said, "ok, relax, you've got 4 hours of gas and the
plane's A-OK." I bumbled around until I hit a major highway, followed that
to another airport, then was able to orient myself to get back home, which I
did within about 30 minutes of taking off.

I'll confess that I haven't flown at night since then. I decided I would
wait until I got my instrument, and that I'd go at night on IFR flight plans
for a while until I felt more comfortable with it. Just haven't had time
since then but I should do it while it still gets dark nice and early.

Oh, and did I mention the landing light burned out? Luckily I'd gotten a
floatplane rating about a month earlier, so I just went into "glassy water
landing" mode and did a power-on approach. My field is lit up like a
christmas tree at night so it actually wasn't so stressful.

I was lucky enough to have a CFII who really liked instructing in the soup,
and near Boston it comes around pretty regularly. One of the other times I
got good and puckered up was about 25 hours into my IR, we went into the
scud and I got good and spun. He liked to keep the AI covered most of the
time, and looking at the DG and TC spinning and banking I just couldn't
figure out left from right. I could feel our airspeed and G forces building,
and after we turned about 270 degrees, he looked over and said, "boy, you're
sure confused," and within about 15 seconds had us back on course &
altitude. ATC didn't even mention it.

-cwk.

Old February 21st 05, 09:14 PM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning Colin W Kingsbury wrote:
: I'll confess that I haven't flown at night since then. I decided I would
: wait until I got my instrument, and that I'd go at night on IFR flight plans
: for a while until I felt more comfortable with it. Just haven't had time
: since then but I should do it while it still gets dark nice and early.

Hey CWK, I fly with a group of good folks out of lovely 1B9, and we go
out most Wednesday evenings. If you'd like to join us, even as a passenger,
drop me a line and we can work something out. You're at BED, no?
fasto at shell dot theworld dot com.
--
Aaron C.
Old February 21st 05, 10:10 PM
RST Engineering

Single engine
Night
Mountains

Pick any two.

That is, if you've ever lost an engine. If you haven't, pick all three and
hope that your engine failure will not be this time.

Jim

Old February 22nd 05, 12:38 AM
Jack Allison

RST Engineering wrote:

Single engine
Night
Mountains

Pick any two.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Having flown across the
Sierra Nevada's only a few times in the day, I sure wouldn't want to do
so at night. Even a cloudless full moon night in a brand new high
performance single engine...nope, wouldn't want to do it. Way too much
cumulo-Granite down there. I'd much rather limit my mountain crossings
to the daytime.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Shopping Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old February 22nd 05, 02:45 AM
mindenpilot

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:

Single engine
Night
Mountains

Pick any two.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Having flown across the
Sierra Nevada's only a few times in the day, I sure wouldn't want to do so
at night. Even a cloudless full moon night in a brand new high
performance single engine...nope, wouldn't want to do it. Way too much
cumulo-Granite down there. I'd much rather limit my mountain crossings to
the daytime.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Shopping Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Agreed.
I fly over the Sierras all the time.
I fly at night all the time.
I never fly over the Sierras at night.

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old February 22nd 05, 04:11 AM
houstondan

nw...enjoy reading your stuff. keep 'em coming. as an owner wannabe
(does holding-up convenience stores really make you a bad person??) i
keep winding up at the conclusion that a 150/2 probably makes the most
sense for me. for now. maybe. maybe that 160hp aerobat taildragger in
trade a plane?? no, there goes the budget again.

the use you are getting out of your 150 is sure encouraging. now, i
expect this is a pretty stupid question but what the heck " do you have
any kind of gps plan if the one and only motor does quit while above
the mountain in the dark? known gps glide-to spots"??

dan

Old February 22nd 05, 05:01 AM
NW_PILOT

"houstondan" wrote in message
oups.com...
nw...enjoy reading your stuff. keep 'em coming. as an owner wannabe
(does holding-up convenience stores really make you a bad person??) i
keep winding up at the conclusion that a 150/2 probably makes the most
sense for me. for now. maybe. maybe that 160hp aerobat taildragger in
trade a plane?? no, there goes the budget again.

the use you are getting out of your 150 is sure encouraging. now, i
expect this is a pretty stupid question but what the heck " do you have
any kind of gps plan if the one and only motor does quit while above
the mountain in the dark? known gps glide-to spots"??

dan

If the engine quits in the areas I was flying in I probably would never be
found no matter ware I landed and would take weeks to walk out how wooded it
is. This 150 is the best investment I have purchassed its almost paid for
its self in flight time. And the education you get when you become an owner
is worth the money spent.

Routine Aviation Career Guy Alcala Military Aviation 0 September 26th 04 12:33 AM
Did the Germans have the Norden bombsight? Cub Driver Military Aviation 106 May 12th 04 07:18 AM
Night Flying Tips BoDEAN Piloting 7 May 4th 04 03:22 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
Headlight for night flying Paul Tomblin Piloting 22 September 27th 03 09:32 AM