Good article and cool imbedded video

Old March 30th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DCS

Default Good article and cool imbedded video

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...e-world/73138/
Old March 30th 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Mar 30, 1:44*pm, DCS wrote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...liding-and-the...

Thanks for sharing! Does the initial tow seem a little bit hairy to
be flying over the water that low? How comfortable would you be? Not
sure if they are even 200 ft above the water. Very cool video and fun
to see the Arcus in flight!

Bruno - B4
Old March 31st 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:47:06 -0700 (PDT), Bruno
wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Does the initial tow seem a little bit hairy to
be flying over the water that low? How comfortable would you be? Not
sure if they are even 200 ft above the water.

I was there, as a tutor in the course; that's the place I used to fly
from for a long time (www.acao.it)
The towplane is a 235hp Stinson L-5 in excellent shape. The agreed
procedure is to accelerate up to at least 130 km/h, maybe 140 on many
occasions. A few seconds after having passed above the tree line at
the end of the airfield, we have the 50m altitude which most of the
times will allow a safe turn back if the rope breaks.

If the rope breaks at lower altitude, we'll just land in the water
(turn off all electronic equipment). I've never seen this happen.

The real difficulty, on this airfield, is when a strong N-NO wind
blows (60-80° from the right). Then there are wild rotors at very low
level, at the end of the runway. We need to maintain a high airspeed
in order to have sufficient aileron authority, especially on the
glider. When things get very critical, our tow pilots and instructors
usually stop the operations. In between, there are a number of
situations when only some selected members of the club are allowed to
take-off as a pilot in command.

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Cool Article: Clouds from Space KevinFinke Soaring 1 May 14th 10 07:00 AM
Cool Video Gary Emerson Soaring 8 March 9th 07 11:18 PM
Cool timelapse video jimm Piloting 3 May 26th 06 05:21 AM
Cool Video... [email protected] Soaring 19 December 11th 05 06:33 PM
Very cool glider video! Nik Piloting 2 November 29th 05 05:44 PM