Trip from MA to MN

Old June 23rd 05, 03:04 AM
Peter R.

George Patterson wrote:

This was true before 9/11. Now, there are some security issues. Perhaps Customs
isn't the right word, but Todd would at least have some paperwork to deal with.

Not true if one flies over Canada IFR, unless you call filing a standard
FAA IFR flight plan paperwork.

Additionally, somehow and someway there are parts of lower Canadian
airspace (lower Ontario) that are handled by Cleveland Center.

When I took my across-the-US flight last Memorial Day from upstate NY, I
was given a route that took me over the northern shore of Lake Erie,
clearly over Canadian soil. Yet I only spoke to Cleveland Center.

--
Peter

Old June 23rd 05, 04:04 AM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

Not true if one flies over Canada IFR, unless you call filing a standard
FAA IFR flight plan paperwork.

Yeah, I keep thinking VFR.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 23rd 05, 07:06 AM
H.P.

In an Arrow, my personal minimums would dictate: max airports and min water.

"William Snow" wrote in message
I am planning a trip in a single (Arrow) from MA to MN July 10th. I am
looking for recommendations as to whether to go north of the lakes or south
along the shore of the lakes. The US portion has a lot more airports but is
longer than a route north of the lakes over Canada. Any recommendations?

Old June 23rd 05, 01:12 PM
William Snow

Thanks for the tip on the mosquito repellant.

The actual decision as to go north or south will ultimately be decided by
the weather.

The northern route is devoid of airports for emergency landing where as the
southern route is littered with them. A major consideration for me.

Weather is another.

I hold an IR so IFR no problem. I do not like long water crossings in a
single engine Piper however.

Lot's to think about.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:13 PM
William Snow

I agree totally.

Old June 23rd 05, 03:16 PM
jsmith

George Patterson wrote:
Yeah, I keep thinking VFR.

You only have to file a DVFR flight plan.
The only people you talk to are FSS when you file.

Old June 23rd 05, 03:18 PM
jsmith

George Patterson wrote:
Yeah, I keep thinking VFR.

I don't even remember filing a DVFR flight plan on my last trip from
Columbus OH to Marysville MI, overflying southwest Ontario. I only did
VFR flight following across Lake Erie.

Old June 23rd 05, 03:20 PM
jsmith

William Snow wrote:
Thanks for the tip on the mosquito repellant.
The northern route is devoid of airports for emergency landing where as the
southern route is littered with them. A major consideration for me.
Weather is another.
I hold an IR so IFR no problem. I do not like long water crossings in a
single engine Piper however.

If you fly from Buffalo to Port Huron, there are quite a few airports
along your route and no water. From Port Huron, fly northwest to
northern Michigan, again, airports and no water. Cross the Bay to
Wisconsin and fly on to MN.

Old June 23rd 05, 03:29 PM
Ron Natalie

jsmith wrote:
George Patterson wrote:

Yeah, I keep thinking VFR.

You only have to file a DVFR flight plan.
The only people you talk to are FSS when you file.

DVFR's are for the (real, not the DC) ADIZ. There
is no ADIZ between US and Canada (Canada has it's own
ADIZ off shore).
Old June 25th 05, 01:57 AM
George Patterson

jsmith wrote:
George Patterson wrote:

Yeah, I keep thinking VFR.

I don't even remember filing a DVFR flight plan on my last trip from
Columbus OH to Marysville MI, overflying southwest Ontario. I only did
VFR flight following across Lake Erie.

Well, I recall a recent thread, which Jay Honeck started by posting his plans to
fly to DC from somewhere or other. Apparently a direct course would have taken
him through Canadian airspace. Seems to me there was a bit more to it, according
to a few posters then.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

SF Bay Area Pilots - Want to share a trip to the X-Prize attempts? Brenor Brophy Piloting 1 September 16th 04 10:52 AM
4800nm trip complete! SeeAndAvoid Piloting 2 June 19th 04 05:58 PM
Coast to coast trip finished :-) Filip Zawadiak Piloting 6 May 5th 04 08:45 PM
First long-distance trip Marc Piloting 2 December 16th 03 04:03 AM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM