F-15 Eagle and F-14 Tomcat

Old July 11th 04, 05:52 AM
Krztalizer

Or, to go to the ridiculous, the F9F Panther crashing
on the carrier flight deck in "Midway" - a movie which
had a disturbing tendancy to morph aircraft in mid-flight -
or mid-crash.

Are you sure about that?

Yep - Chuck Heston eats the round-down in an SBD/F9F. Other aircraft start out
as one type (TBD - To Be Ditched) and strike the water, turning into an F6F,
among other morph-jobs.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember stock
footage an _F6F_ breaking in half on landing.

Chuck's kid, who cracks up after eating deck.

It doesn't seem likely that,
if they were using AT-6s as Zero, etc. lookalikes, they would make that
kind of mistake.

They were also using stock footage from Tora3, which seems a bit much - hey, if
the audience paid to see this footage last year, they are going to love it
again THIS year.

You may be thinking of _Hunt for Red October_, where an F-14 damaged in an
encounter with an ASW Bear tries unsuccessfully to get home, and morphs
into stock footage of a Panther on crashing on landing.

Same footage was used - Chuck's SBD and the Bear-crunch'd Turkey turned into
the same Panther over the stern.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old July 11th 04, 06:35 AM
Bill Shatzer

George Ruch ) writes:
(Bill Shatzer) wrote:

Or, to go to the ridiculous, the F9F Panther crashing
on the carrier flight deck in "Midway" - a movie which
had a disturbing tendancy to morph aircraft in mid-flight -
or mid-crash.

Are you sure about that? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember stock
footage an _F6F_ breaking in half on landing. It doesn't seem likely that,
if they were using AT-6s as Zero, etc. lookalikes, they would make that
kind of mistake.

Nope, an F9F Panther, sure as s**t. It's the scene where the aircraft
dissolves into a rather impressive fireball. Although, hard as it is
to believe, I've heard that in the actual event, the pilot survived.

There were lots of scenes where aircraft morphed into F6Fs but
none of those were the one I was refering to.

And "Midway", as best I recall didn't use -any- AT-6s made up
to look like Zeroes - except for the scenes they "borrowed" from
"Tora Tora Tora".

The aviation scenes in "Midway" were almost exclusively borrowed
from previous films - "Victory at Sea" was a big contributor.

You may be thinking of _Hunt for Red October_, where an F-14 damaged in an
encounter with an ASW Bear tries unsuccessfully to get home, and morphs
into stock footage of a Panther on crashing on landing.

It's an impressive fireball. I'd not be surprised if it was
used in several productions. If "Red October" borrowed the same
footage for it's dramatic effect, I'd not be unduly surprised.

--

"Cave ab homine unius libri"