losing your wings.....

Old October 21st 05, 06:52 AM
Jack G

Default losing your wings.....

Thanks for the interesting link -

Any opinions on the which was the best looking airplane - Vigilante or
Voodoo?

Jack G.

Built at Columbus, OH, based at NAS Albany, GA. Purtiest airframe the
Navy ever bought, with no ailerons, elevator or rudder.

http://www.bobjellison.com/RA5C_Vigilante.htm

Rick

Old October 21st 05, 10:28 AM
Dave in San Diego

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in
:

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message
Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com wrote in
4ax.com:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:39:19 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
postulated :

Did my generation do these stupid stunts? Hell, yes. (Even in A-6s.)
Were our actions any "better" than this young man's? Hell, no.

A-5s out of Oceana used to make bomb runs on the Kerr Lake dam which
is on the VA/NC border. I've been in one of the campgrounds and you
could almost count the rivets on the Grumman Iron.

Didn't you really mean A-6s? Viggies are North American Iron, formerly
out of
somewhere in Jawja.

North American in Georgia? Not in my lifetime (nor before the, IIRC)...

KB

This link - http://www.vectorsite.net/ava5.html - substantiates it as NA
Iron, and

this link - http://www.skyhawk.org/3E/rvah3/rvah3p.htm substantiates it as
having lived in JawJa.

Runway to runway, Nas Brunswick, ME to NAS Albany, GA in 65 minutes, 1 Jan
72, by an RA-5C.

Dave in San Diego
AT1, USN (ret)
1969 - 1989
Old October 21st 05, 10:49 AM
~^ beancounter ~^

Vigilante fo me...i liked the loooong nose...

we had one come in hot or heavy and break off its
nose gear one afternoon...quite a noise...fair amount
of sparks....

uss ranger - 1976

Old October 21st 05, 12:41 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message
. 30...
"Kyle Boatright" wrote in
:

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message
Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com wrote in
4ax.com:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:39:19 -0700, "Mike Kanze"
postulated :

Did my generation do these stupid stunts? Hell, yes. (Even in A-6s.)
Were our actions any "better" than this young man's? Hell, no.

A-5s out of Oceana used to make bomb runs on the Kerr Lake dam which
is on the VA/NC border. I've been in one of the campgrounds and you
could almost count the rivets on the Grumman Iron.

Didn't you really mean A-6s? Viggies are North American Iron, formerly
out of
somewhere in Jawja.

North American in Georgia? Not in my lifetime (nor before then, IIRC)...

KB

This link - http://www.vectorsite.net/ava5.html - substantiates it as NA
Iron, and

this link - http://www.skyhawk.org/3E/rvah3/rvah3p.htm substantiates it as
having lived in JawJa.

Runway to runway, Nas Brunswick, ME to NAS Albany, GA in 65 minutes, 1 Jan
72, by an RA-5C.

Dave in San Diego
AT1, USN (ret)
1969 - 1989

Aha, I read the original post as having been built in GA...

KB

Old October 21st 05, 06:05 PM
Harry Andreas

In article . com, "~^
beancounter ~^" wrote:

Dude, you really need to put in the attribution when you cut and paste an
article like this.

It's not fair to the authors or to the newspaper that paid their salary.

For those that want to know, this was in the LA Times on Wednesday.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old October 21st 05, 06:56 PM
Yeff

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:05:41 -0700, Harry Andreas wrote:

For those that want to know, this was in the LA Times on Wednesday.

Specifically,
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-jetfighter19oct19,0,6419216.story?coll=la-home-local

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Old October 21st 05, 10:27 PM
~^ beancounter ~^

only if i am trying to sell or "gain" by re posting it...

Old October 21st 05, 10:59 PM
John Carrier

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
John Carrier wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...

John Carrier wrote:

On its first pass, the Super Hornet screamed along at more than 650
miles an hour, just 96 feet above the main runway. Soon it circled
back, touched down on the tarmac for an instant, then went into a
steep climb, afterburner roaring, and disappeared in the skies.

SNIP

You're sure now. Not 95 feet, not 97, but precisely 96 feet?

I'd bet it's a radar altimeter value from the aircraft's flight data
recorder (yes, newer military aircraft do have FDRs). Probably written
up in the incident report.

Never seen a radalt that read to single digits. T-45 airborne data
recorder (probably similar to F-18) get radalt in tens of feet, pressure
alt in 20's.

Maybe it remembers radalt in multiples of 8 or 16 feet?

The article could have been better written. We have an approximate "more
than 650mph" [true or indicated?] followed by an exact "96 feet" in the
same sentence. What are they teeching the schooles in these days?

Just looked at the article. If it was a superbug, it's doubtful it was
doing 650 anyway. Them's jets is slooowww, man. (F-8U1 was faster in 1955
.... the Navy's first 1000mph jet.) But the bugs can sure generate alpha!

R / John

Old October 22nd 05, 01:45 AM
Mike Kanze

beancounter,

i liked the loooong nose...

But with the nosewheel strut located aft of the pilot's cockpit, it took a
bit more than the average amount of faith to follow the director's signals
when hanging out beyond the deck edge...at night...in the rain.

This rarely bothered RAN friends of mine, who were cooped up in that aft
cockpit with those tiny slits for windows.

--
Mike Kanze

"A rattlesnake loose in the living room tends to end all discussion of
animal rights."

- Time magazine's Lance Morrow, written after the September 11 attacks.

oups.com...

Old October 22nd 05, 01:50 AM
Mike Kanze

beancounter,

then tell me Mike, what makes a good fighter pilot?

I was an A-6A B/N, so I'll let the fighter types answer that one.

More seriously, I don't think it matters what you fly. Immaturity and
selfishness can be found in any flying community.