New GPS Visualizer featu "range rings"

Old December 14th 05, 07:45 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

Default New GPS Visualizer featu "range rings"

Thanks to a request by Darren Bedwell of the Central Indiana Soaring
Society, I've added a new feature to the Geographic Calculators page at
GPS Visualizer: "range rings." (I don't know what the official name
for something like this would be, so I've borrowed a term that I've
seen on weather radar interfaces.)

Basically, you give it a point and a radius (or multiple radii), and it
will plot the circle, or concentric circles, on a map in the format of
your choice.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators (3rd form down, for now)

For the center point, you can enter raw coordinates or ICAO/IATA
airport codes. (If the airport you're looking for isn't found in the
database -- which certainly may happen, especially with the small
airports used by gliders -- please let me know and I can add new
information upon request.)

I don't have this integrated smoothly with the rest of GPS Visualizer's
mapping functions yet, but: if you click "Show coordinates" instead of
the "Draw map" button, you'll get a text file of a "track" representing
the circle, and you can easily upload that to the map form along with
your other data.

If you haven't seen GPS Visualizer before, please drop by and check it
out at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. It's free, platform-independent,
and it supports many GPS data file formats, as well as mapping of
street addresses or raw coordinates. Output can be in the form of
SVGs, JPEGs, PNGs, Google Maps, or Google Earth KML.

Adam Schneider
adamschneider.net

..
Old December 14th 05, 08:54 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

Very cool. Not sure what the application is, but very cool : )

Old December 14th 05, 09:37 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

Very cool. Not sure what the application is, but very cool : )

Keeping clear of TFR's.
Old December 14th 05, 11:31 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

"john smith" wrote in message
Very cool. Not sure what the application is, but very cool : )

Keeping clear of TFR's.

Getting the area allowed during a homebuilt fly off period.

Old December 14th 05, 11:50 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

john smith wrote:

Very cool. Not sure what the application is, but very cool : )

Keeping clear of TFR's.

Hmmm. I just looked up the definition of TFR (I'm not a pilot myself)
and learned that maybe I should add a couple lines of code to recognize
nautical miles as units, since that's what the FAA uses. What's the
usual abbreviation for those? NM?

By the way, the original request for this feature was from a glider
pilot who wanted a way to visualize the "silver," "gold," and "diamond"
distances of sailplane flights. So there's one application, anyway.

Adam
Old December 15th 05, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'd like to thank Adam for implementing these features.

I was also impressed when he added the feature to turn an IGC trace
into a Google Earth file. Now you can, say, go to the Online Contest,
download a nice ridge flight, and check out the route in great detail.

I'd also like to shamelessly plug the Central Indiana Soaring Society
weblog at http://soarindy.blogspot.com. Have a look. Thanks.

Old December 15th 05, 12:29 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

Adam Schneider (that's me) wrote:

Hmmm. I just looked up the definition of TFR (I'm not a pilot myself)
and learned that maybe I should add a couple lines of code to recognize
nautical miles as units, since that's what the FAA uses. What's the
usual abbreviation for those? NM?

Done, by the way. I looked up Nautical Miles on Wikipedia, so you can
now enter a radius as "NM", "n.m.", "nautical miles," or even "knots,"
and it should be recognized. (I know a knot isn't a measure of
distance, but what the hell, why not? No pun intended.)

Old December 15th 05, 12:37 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

On 12/14/2005 15:29, Adam Schneider wrote:

Adam Schneider (that's me) wrote:

Hmmm. I just looked up the definition of TFR (I'm not a pilot myself)
and learned that maybe I should add a couple lines of code to recognize
nautical miles as units, since that's what the FAA uses. What's the
usual abbreviation for those? NM?

Done, by the way. I looked up Nautical Miles on Wikipedia, so you can
now enter a radius as "NM", "n.m.", "nautical miles," or even "knots,"
and it should be recognized. (I know a knot isn't a measure of
distance, but what the hell, why not? No pun intended.)

because it is a measure of speed and not distance?

Why not 'Hot Dogs' then? ;-)

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators

Adam

Sacramento, CA
Old December 15th 05, 02:51 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps,rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:37:07 -0800, Mark Hansen wrote:
because it is a measure of speed and not distance?

Why not 'Hot Dogs' then? ;-)

Shirley he already has feet.