Seats of commercial airlines

Old October 3rd 06, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Seats of commercial airlines

Hi Guys

I never understand why aircraft are equipted with lifejackets (which
cost money, makes the aircraft heavier etc) in case of a successful
crash landing and still they don't install the seats in reverse in case
of that same crash landing.

If it is much safer to face with your back in the direction that you're
decelerating, then why are we facing forwards in planes?

Regards
CE Auke

Old October 13th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Also, many people get motion sick more easily when facing backwards
from the direction of motion.

Old October 13th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Godwin

lomcovak wrote in
:

People don't like travelling backwards. Many (most?) military
transports, however, have seats facing backwards. I once flew out
to the USS Eisenhower on a C2 COD and appreciated that when the
caught the arrester wire. Never stopped so suddenly in an
aircraft. Taking off via the catapult was another story ... !

I remember flying the Eastern Airlines Shuttle when they flew the
Lockheed Electra. There were rear-facing seats in the back and
(believe it or not) some folks actually preferred these seats.

Old October 14th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Natalie

John Godwin wrote:

I remember flying the Eastern Airlines Shuttle when they flew the
Lockheed Electra. There were rear-facing seats in the back and
(believe it or not) some folks actually preferred these seats.

I also recall some DC-9 configurations back in the 70's or so
where the first row of the single class cabin faced aft towards
the second and forward facing rows.