F-14 Turkey?

Old November 26th 04, 04:54 PM
Wlengel

Default F-14 Turkey?

I have a friend (golfing buddy) who was a engineer back in the beginning
phase of the F-14. I mentioned that I had notice on this NG that it
was referred to as the Turkey. He wasn't happy with that a said it was
no Turkey, great plane. What is the origin of the nick name? I believe
it is an affectionate and not a derogatory name, true?

Bill

Old November 26th 04, 08:25 PM
José Herculano

It is a very affectionate name. Even those of us - me included - that love
the Tomcat above all other birds call it Turkey.

The quoted origin of the nickname is the look of a Tomcat by the ramp, with
everything down and flying surfaces flapping all over the place.
_____________
José Herculano

Old November 27th 04, 03:17 PM
Pechs1

Bill writes- I have a friend (golfing buddy) who was a engineer back in the
beginning
phase of the F-14. I mentioned that I had notice on this NG that it
was referred to as the Turkey. He wasn't happy with that a said it was
no Turkey, great plane. What is the origin of the nick name? I believe
it is an affectionate and not a derogatory name, true? BRBR

I answer-I guess it depends on the pilot/RIO as to whether it was a 'turkey' or
a 'Turkey'. It looks like a big bird trying to land, from the front, with
everything hanging out.
Altho great legs around the boat, I really didn't like it in the 1200 hours I
flew it. VERY complicated, very hard to maintain, tough around small decks,
deployed with only 9 jets on small decks cuz they had Hoovers. That meant
running out of jets during a normal 8 event day was 'normal'.
So I think it was a turkey. Not surprised the engineer liked it, but he didn't
have to cruise with it.
I enjoyed the F-4 much more, both around the boat and not. Better availability
and with the 1527 mod, slats, Awg-10B, smokeless engines, pretty nice jet when
the radar was working. AND the shoulder patch looked better(2300 hours in the
F-4).
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 28th 04, 12:05 AM
Red Rider

Yeah, looks just like a "wild turkey" coming off the roost 60 feet up in a
pine tree. Although the "wild turkey" may not have to flutter around as
much.

Red

Old November 29th 04, 08:09 PM
Charlie Wolf

IIRC, there where two guys who came up with the original design - both
named Tom. The name Tomcat came from that origin. I believe the
"Turkey" reference would be a derivative of that - i.e., Tom Turkey.

???

I might be wrong.
Regards,

Old November 29th 04, 11:23 PM
Yofuri

wrote:

I have a friend (golfing buddy) who was a engineer back in the beginning
phase of the F-14. I mentioned that I had notice on this NG that it
was referred to as the Turkey. He wasn't happy with that a said it was
no Turkey, great plane. What is the origin of the nick name? I believe
it is an affectionate and not a derogatory name, true?

Bill

The most-told story (take your choice of "Toms"):

"VADM Thomas F. Connolly. Serving as Deputy Chief of Naval
Operations for Air, ADM Connolly was under the strictest orders from
Defense Secretary Robert McNamara's civilian team to support McNamara's
concept of a single fighter aircraft design for both the Air Force and
the Navy. This was the infamous TFX in its initial stage (subsequently
designated F-111B for the Navy) which arose from a concept of saving
money on paper without any documentation on how that could be
accomplished in practice, while providing income for a Texas based
aerospace company to help the political fortunes of the vice president
at the time."

"Following years of work and millions spent, it was apparent to
the Navy that the F-111B would never fly from a carrier. A Navy team had
been working surreptitiously on an alternative that would be equipped
with the same weapon system, but no one on the McNamara team would
listen to professional opinion. Finally, in a showdown with Congress on
the budget, following hours of testimony from Secretary of the Navy Paul
Ignatius about how great the F-111B design was, Sen. Stennis asked ADM
Connolly his personal opinion about the aircraft design, assuming it was
equipped with more powerful engines. ADM Connolly leaned forward and
said in the strongest terms that 'There is not enough thrust in all of
Christendom to make a carrier fighter out of this aircraft.'"

"Sen. Stennis took money from the budget for the F-111B on the
spot and authorized what was to become the F-14 or 'Tomcat' which serves
in the fleet today. In his words, ADM Connolly thought he was going to
be fired and thinks Sen. Stennis saved him from that -- but he lost any
chance for his fourth star. Throughout, he was supported in his end run
around the Navy secretary since the chief of naval operations, ADM Tom
Moorer, had authorized such candor prior to the hearings."

http://www.newtotalitarians.com/Atki...wiePartIV.html
Old November 30th 04, 12:55 AM
Allen Epps

In article , Yofuri
wrote:

I have a friend (golfing buddy) who was a engineer back in the beginning
phase of the F-14. I mentioned that I had notice on this NG that it
was referred to as the Turkey. He wasn't happy with that a said it was
no Turkey, great plane. What is the origin of the nick name? I believe
it is an affectionate and not a derogatory name, true?

Bill

Despite some good stories about how the Tomcat got it's name, it seems
to me you're asking how it got the nickname "Turkey". If you look at
one coming at you on the LSO platform with the slats/flaps out and gear
down with the stabilators moving all over the place it does not look
disimilar to a wild turkey coming into land due to it's large fuselage
and seemingly smallish wings from that angle.

Not really meant as an insult anymore than when I call the Prowler
"fighting drumstick" and I had 2200 hours in it.
Pugs
Old November 30th 04, 04:15 AM
vincent p. norris

IIRC, there where two guys who came up with the original design - both
named Tom. The name Tomcat came from that origin.

Don't know about that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out
if there wre two Toms. However, don't overlook the fact that Grumman
fighters had been named for cats since the F4F.

The name Tomcat came from that origin.

Possible, I suppose, but Allen Epps' explanation of the origin of
"Turkey" is widely accepted as the correct one.

vince norris