Pirep request: FlightPrep vs 396

Old January 9th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Pirep request: FlightPrep vs 396

I've seen plenty of pireps on the Garmin 396, but is anybody using the
FlightPrep software with the Motion Computing tablet and XM
Weather/GPS/Electronic Flightbag options??

Also, is there any software/hardware combination when using a laptop or
tablet that can take advantage of the XM Radio output such as the 396 does?

Thanks as always,

Jim

Old January 9th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

Also, is there any software/hardware combination when using a laptop or
tablet that can take advantage of the XM Radio output such as the 396
does?

If there is it would link from here
http://www.xmradio.com/weather/aviation.html

Old January 9th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

I've seen plenty of pireps on the Garmin 396, but is anybody using the
FlightPrep software with the Motion Computing tablet and XM
Weather/GPS/Electronic Flightbag options??

Also, is there any software/hardware combination when using a laptop or
tablet that can take advantage of the XM Radio output such as the 396 does?

In my experience, the PDA/Windows solutions all require tinkering to get
working and to continue working. If you don't mind the tinkering, they
can provide you with some capabilities that the 396 lacks. For
navigation and weather, though, none of them beat the simplicity and
reliability of the Garmin 396.

Regarding XM audio, the WxWorx receiver used with PDA/Windows systems
does not have an audio tuner. It does have an antenna pass-through, to
which you can connect an appropriate tuner, such as the Roady2. Because
the WxWorx receiver has no audio tuner, there is no way for XM audio via
a software solution.

JKG
Old January 10th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In my experience, the PDA/Windows solutions all require tinkering to get
working and to continue working. If you don't mind the tinkering, they
can provide you with some capabilities that the 396 lacks. For
navigation and weather, though, none of them beat the simplicity and
reliability of the Garmin 396.

Regarding XM audio, the WxWorx receiver used with PDA/Windows systems
does not have an audio tuner. It does have an antenna pass-through, to
which you can connect an appropriate tuner, such as the Roady2. Because
the WxWorx receiver has no audio tuner, there is no way for XM audio via
a software solution.

JKG

Excellent points - I have the AnywhereMap system running on an Ipaq
5500. It's wonderful when it works, but some tinkering is required to
get everything just right. Of course, I'm in the computer industry, so
tinkering with computers is a bit of a hobby and the whole process is
kinda fun. If you find this type of thing a pain the a**, the PDA
route is not for you.

The nice part about needing the dedicated audio receiver for XM with
the WxWorx is that I use the same one (RoadyXT) in my plane, my truck,
the hangar and the house - so only one subscription to pay for!

Mike

Old January 10th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim,
I was interested in the same thing but after seeing a slew of
laptops and desktops with sudden hard drive failures, I gave up on the
idea of using laptop or tablet PC for weather/GPS/electronic flightbag
option. Hope to see tablet PC using flash memory only in a near
future. I am looking forward to the introduction of the Lowrance 2000
with XM weather this summer. It will blow Garmin 396 out of the water
if it also allow approach chart display.

Hai Longworth

Old January 11th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article .com,
"Longworth" wrote:
I was interested in the same thing but after seeing a slew of
laptops and desktops with sudden hard drive failures, I gave up on the
idea of using laptop or tablet PC for weather/GPS/electronic flightbag
option. Hope to see tablet PC using flash memory only in a near
future. I am looking forward to the introduction of the Lowrance 2000
with XM weather this summer. It will blow Garmin 396 out of the water
if it also allow approach chart display.

The AirMap 2000c has a ways to go before it will surpass the 396. The
2000c isn't even as capable as the 296, and although the screen is
larger, it has about half the resolution of the 296/396. I doubt that
Lowrance will add approach chart capability, and if they do, I doubt
that it will be very practical on the existing screen.

I would love to see Lowrance release a unit that is competitive with the
396, but they have a long way to go from the 2000c to get to that point.

JKG

Old January 11th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jonathan,

I would love to see Lowrance release a unit that is competitive with the
396, but they have a long way to go from the 2000c to get to that point.

They have a long way to go to make something equally expensive, too. Don't
compare apples and oranges...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 11th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:
I would love to see Lowrance release a unit that is competitive with the
396, but they have a long way to go from the 2000c to get to that point.

They have a long way to go to make something equally expensive, too. Don't
compare apples and oranges...

I wasn't--that was the original poster. You get what you pay for.

JKG
Old January 11th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm replacing my 20gig HD w/ a solid state HD for my EFB. I got tired of
the repeated HD failures.
--

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

pirep request WV52 Randy Piloting 1 July 19th 05 01:27 PM
KFRG Farmingdale PIREP Request Bryan Piloting 3 June 9th 05 03:57 AM
Pirep request Jim Burns Piloting 6 May 9th 05 11:27 PM
Pirep request: Pullman-Moscow gatt Piloting 4 August 27th 04 06:16 PM
Clearence available upon request Jeff Instrument Flight Rules 22 November 17th 03 07:35 PM