Compass swinging?

Old November 25th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

Default Compass swinging?

I've got AC 43.13-1B, which describes the procedure to swing a compass.
What I can't find is the bureaucratic stuff -- who can do it (any pilot?),
and what paperwork follow-up is required (airframe logbook entry, or is
just making the new compass card sufficient?).
Old November 25th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

This is probably something best left to someone with experience to avoid the
frustration of making interacting adjustments until you get it right. I had
the avionics tech do it for me at my last annual. He used test tools to
generate a magnetic field instead of actually taking the plane out onto a
compass rose on the ramp. The guy did a superb job.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old November 25th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Roy Smith wrote:
I've got AC 43.13-1B, which describes the procedure to swing a compass.
What I can't find is the bureaucratic stuff -- who can do it (any pilot?),
and what paperwork follow-up is required (airframe logbook entry, or is
just making the new compass card sufficient?).

I swung my own several years ago and made a new card. An A&P has to
sign it off.
Old November 25th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
zatatime

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:46:44 -0700, Newps
wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
I've got AC 43.13-1B, which describes the procedure to swing a compass.
What I can't find is the bureaucratic stuff -- who can do it (any pilot?),
and what paperwork follow-up is required (airframe logbook entry, or is
just making the new compass card sufficient?).

I swung my own several years ago and made a new card. An A&P has to
sign it off.

I also swung my own (and a few friends). Our radio guy did the sign
off. Not to split hairs, but only an airframe license is required for
this one as far as I know. (He says putting on his flame proof
blazer).

HTH.
Old November 25th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

I've got AC 43.13-1B, which describes the procedure to swing a compass.
What I can't find is the bureaucratic stuff -- who can do it (any pilot?),
and what paperwork follow-up is required (airframe logbook entry, or is
just making the new compass card sufficient?).

If it isn't listed as one of the tasks us pilots can do, then you need the A&P
sign-off.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 25th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Somerset

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:00:24 -0700, "Mike Noel"
wrote:

This is probably something best left to someone with experience to avoid the
frustration of making interacting adjustments until you get it right. I had
the avionics tech do it for me at my last annual. He used test tools to
generate a magnetic field instead of actually taking the plane out onto a
compass rose on the ramp. The guy did a superb job.

I have never heard of that method being used, but in principle, I don't like
it! It is always best to calibrate something under the same conditions in
which it will be used. Simulating the earth's magnetic field is just adding
one more approximation to the calibration.

First: Just how did your avionics tech align the generated field with the
airplanes longitudinal axis? How accurately? How could you tell?

Second: How did the tech adjust the generated field to be the same strength
as the earth's magnetic field? It would have to be, or the compass
ajustments will not be correct.

Third: How did your tech eliminate the earth's magnetic field from
influencing the compass during the swinging? Seems your compass was
compensated in the presence of two magnetic fields -- one of which won't be
there when you are flying.

I'm more than a little suspicious about the technique.
Old November 25th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Can't give a helpful answer. I just know how he told me he did it and that
the results were excellent.

Old November 25th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

ps Check out:

http://www.firstmarkaerospace.com/standbycompass.asp

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

. ..

Old November 25th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

C'mon Roy, you've been around airplanes long enough to know the real
answer -- "Why that compass card has been in the airplane since I bought
it."

Now, if the FAA really wanted to get snotty, they'd go to Part 43, appendix
A, section (b)(4)(i) and ask to see the major repair signoff for the
"calibration of ... instruments", which is what a compass swing is.

Jim

Old November 25th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
. ..
ps Check out:

http://www.firstmarkaerospace.com/standbycompass.asp

Also, this thing is much less prone to errors:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...rd_compass.php
and http://www.pai700.com/index.html

Do you use your magnetic compass? Roger Long Piloting 42 May 25th 04 12:08 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 04:24 AM
Swinging the compass George A. Gross Jr Owning 1 September 12th 03 03:07 AM
Compass turning error Marty Ross Piloting 3 August 21st 03 02:53 PM