Altitude Call Out is COOL

Old December 19th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Default Altitude Call Out is COOL

Jay Honeck wrote:
I did a flight shortly after getting the 396 installed. I had the
altitude voice on, and had a multi-leg route programmed into it as the
active flight. I decided to land at an intermediate airport that wasn't
at the end of the flight plan. The voice came on during final approach
with terrain warnings and demands to "pull up". Thought it was rather
amusing but it is probably a good feature to have.

That's a neat feature -- although I'm glad you told me about it
*before* it surprised me.

Can you imagine flying a newbie somewhere for lunch, diverting to a
different, nearby airport, and having THAT come over the intercom
turning base to final?

Hi Jay,

You can get the same warning even at the destination airport. I talked
to a Garmin engineer who explained how they decide whether you are
landing or just too close to terrain.

At the destination airport, there is a virtual surface that is lower
along the axis of the *primary* runway at the airport. If you break that
surface, you get the warning. Landing on some runway other than the
primary runway, the virtual surface is higher and you are more likely to
get the warning.

For example, I get it all the time when landing on runway 32 at RDU
(Raleigh/Durham, NC). The primary runways at RDU are 05/23 L and R.

There seem to be some other anomalies where you can get the warning. I
used to get it all the time when turning final for runway 21 at TTA
(Sanford, NC). I never could find anything unusual about the terrain or
obstructions there. I think another r.a.o poster also mentioned this
anomaly. Come to think of it, I just did that landing the other day, and
didn't get the warning, so maybe they've changed something in the later
versions of the firmware.

I try to remember to warn my Angel Flight passengers that they might
hear the warning. It's quite alarming if you're not prepared for it.

Dave
Old December 20th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Can you imagine flying a newbie somewhere for lunch, diverting to a
different, nearby airport, and having THAT come over the intercom turning
base to final?

Forget the newbie - I fear for the machine, once Mary has announced "Sterile
Cockpit".

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/directline_...l4_sterile.htm
Googled web page - The Sterile Cockpit

Montblack :-o
YOU got Me in trouble ...I was quiet as a church mouse! g

Old December 20th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Forget the newbie - I fear for the machine, once Mary has announced "Sterile
Cockpit".

ROTFL! I wonder if she'll "shush" the 496 the way she did you? (And
me!)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Jay Honeck wrote:
Call me silly, and I honestly can't think of a real use for this
feature (since I fly VFR) -- but it's still WAY up there in the cool
factor levels. Feels like we're flying the heavy iron, now!

If you think that's cool, you should fly with the GTX330. Betty says:

"Traffic" (when a conflict occurs)
"Traffic not available" (when leaving radar coverage)
"Leaving altitude" (when using the altitude alerter and +/- 200 ft)
"Timer expired" (really cool when that coincides with DH on an ILS)`

among other things.

Last summer I took up someone who had never flown in a small airplane
before. We have radar coverage almost to the ground at our home field,
so Betty usually calls out "Traffic not available" a few moments after
touchdown. And because everything is generally far quieter at this
time, Betty's voice stands out. The passenger commented "wow, I had no
idea small airplanes had a co-pilot!" :-)

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old December 21st 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Doug,

"Traffic not available" (when leaving radar coverage)

Actually, she says that on final right when you're trying to understand
your landing clearance (at least in Scottsdale, AZ). But it is cool.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 21st 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Thomas Borchert wrote:
"Traffic not available" (when leaving radar coverage)

Actually, she says that on final right when you're trying to understand
your landing clearance (at least in Scottsdale, AZ). But it is cool.

When I was demoing various systems in our avionics shop's Bonanza prior
to the purchase, I noticed that the SkyWatch he had installed bitched
incessantly in the traffic pattern. I asked him whether we could shut
that off and he said he had (unfortunately) routed the audio through an
unswitched input in the audio panel.

Needless to say we routed the GTX330's audio through a spare switched
input to prevent this problem. We usually leave it enabled, obviously,
but can shut it up in a quick flick of the appropriate button.
Incidentally, the shop even replaced the button on the audio panel with
one that says "TCAD". Highly recommended.

Not to get too far off topic, but the bigger problem I've heard is with
the new Garmin terrain warnings. The thing just won't shut the hell up
when flying near the mountains, and I don't think you can legally route
the audio through a switched input (at least on the "approved" version
in the 530). That's speculation on my part, however...I really don't
know what the rules are. Just food for thought for anyone considering
the terrain upgrade.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old December 24th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Jay Honeck wrote:

Okay, so I finally figured out how to turn the XM radio off without
killing all audio output from the 496. (It's not as easy as it should
be...)

This has enabled us to finally hear the little "Southwest Airlines"
chime, followed by bitchin' Betty purring "Altitude...500 feet..."
through our headphones.

Call me silly, and I honestly can't think of a real use for this
feature (since I fly VFR) -- but it's still WAY up there in the cool
factor levels. Feels like we're flying the heavy iron, now!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

All right Jay, you are just asking for it. The Luddites that want us to
stay with a whiskey compass and oil pressure gauge are going to come
down hard on you for this. Altitude callout? What nonsense! You are
supposed to find your altitude the old fashioned way: by unrolling a
weight on a looooooong string all the way to the ground, That is the way
REAL PILOTS were taught.

I hope they go easy on you...

Mike

Old December 24th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

You can get the same warning even at the destination airport.

..stuff snipped
There seem to be some other anomalies where you can get the warning. I
used to get it all the time when turning final for runway 21 at TTA
(Sanford, NC). I never could find anything unusual about the terrain or
obstructions there. I think another r.a.o poster also mentioned this
anomaly. Come to think of it, I just did that landing the other day, and
didn't get the warning, so maybe they've changed something in the later
versions of the firmware.

I get the "pull up" terrain warning on my 396 when turning base at too
high a sink rate. We have towers nearby and my theoretical flight path
would put me too close to them if I did not turn final. Somehow I am
outside the zone of "landing" at that point. With the aerodynamics of a
2 by 4, I come in a wee bit higher than some expect (Cherokee 140 -
nuff' said). I finally see "red over white" on short final. Maybe that
does it. It seems to be coupled to the sink rate cuz I sometimes get it
on final.

Mike
Old December 24th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

Mike Spera wrote:
All right Jay, you are just asking for it. The Luddites that want us to
stay with a whiskey compass and oil pressure gauge are going to come
down hard on you for this. Altitude callout? What nonsense! You are
supposed to find your altitude the old fashioned way: by unrolling a
weight on a looooooong string all the way to the ground, That is the way
REAL PILOTS were taught.

With a bit of tallow on the end, so you can see what kind of bottom you've
got.
Old December 26th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Alan Gerber

Mike Spera wrote:
With the aerodynamics of a
2 by 4, I come in a wee bit higher than some expect (Cherokee 140 -
nuff' said). I finally see "red over white" on short final.

Is that because you're doing power-off landings? I fly a Warrior, which I
assume has simular aerodynamics, and have no problem holding the
glideslope. With power in, you'd be able to control the descent rate, no?

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL

MVAs in AZ Dan Instrument Flight Rules 36 September 16th 06 02:19 AM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
GPS Altitude with WAAS Phil Verghese Instrument Flight Rules 42 October 5th 03 12:39 AM
gps altitude accuracy Martin Gregorie Soaring 12 July 18th 03 08:51 PM