After an annual?

Old December 19th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Default After an annual?

Paul Tomblin wrote:
When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.

If you have a Navion, make sure the gear handle is down.

I check over the plane looking especially for inspection
panels and hoses not reinstalled. A do a brief test
flight (vicinity of the airport) and open it up again looking for leaks.

Old December 19th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.

one of the benefits on an owner-assisted annual is being involved in
the close-out of actions from the annual.

btw - following the installation of an overhauled engine, we (the A&P and I)
did the initial engine check-out flying a racetrack pattern at 2000' above
the airport. We simply told the tower that we wanted to orbit the field for
an engine test.

Isn't that required by regulation (although only minimum crew is
allowed)? Doesn't the pilot have to sign the aircraft log as RTS after
the break in?

-Robert

Old December 19th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

one of the benefits on an owner-assisted annual is being involved in
the close-out of actions from the annual.

btw - following the installation of an overhauled engine, we (the A&P and I)
did the initial engine check-out flying a racetrack pattern at 2000' above
the airport. We simply told the tower that we wanted to orbit the field for
an engine test.

Isn't that required by regulation (although only minimum crew is
allowed)?

Not that I've heard of.

Doesn't the pilot have to sign the aircraft log as RTS after
the break in?

No

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old December 20th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Bob Noel wrote:
In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

one of the benefits on an owner-assisted annual is being involved in
the close-out of actions from the annual.

btw - following the installation of an overhauled engine, we (the A&P and I)
did the initial engine check-out flying a racetrack pattern at 2000' above
the airport. We simply told the tower that we wanted to orbit the field for
an engine test.

Isn't that required by regulation (although only minimum crew is
allowed)?

Not that I've heard of.

Section 91.407: Operation after maintenance, preventive maintenance,
rebuilding, or alteration.
(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers) in an
aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered in a manner that
may have appreciably changed its flight characteristics or
substantially affected its operation in flight until an appropriately
rated pilot with at least a private pilot certificate flies the
aircraft, makes an operational check of the maintenance performed or
alteration made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.

Old December 20th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

On 19 Dec 2006 16:03:23 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

snip

Section 91.407: Operation after maintenance, preventive maintenance,
rebuilding, or alteration.
(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers) in an
aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered in a manner that
may have appreciably changed its flight characteristics or
substantially affected its operation in flight until an appropriately
rated pilot with at least a private pilot certificate flies the
aircraft, makes an operational check of the maintenance performed or
alteration made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.

Anything other than a field overhaul will have been tested for static
horsepower and "run-in" in a test cell according to the mfg's
instructions.

Other than major airframe repairs after a wreck (and certain
autoflight system repairs), I have never signed off/or required a test
flight.

Personally, I don't think a brand spanking new engine-out landing will
be "appreciably changed" from a whipped 20something year-old
engine-out landing...

TC
Old December 20th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Isn't that required by regulation (although only minimum crew is
allowed)?

Not that I've heard of.

Section 91.407: Operation after maintenance, preventive maintenance,
rebuilding, or alteration.
(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers) in an
aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered in a manner that
may have appreciably changed its flight characteristics or
substantially affected its operation in flight until an appropriately
rated pilot with at least a private pilot certificate flies the
aircraft, makes an operational check of the maintenance performed or
alteration made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.

How would an engine overhaul have changed the aircraft's flight characteristics?

Seriously, I really don't see how 91.407 requires a flight test. Heck, even the
STC to install the 160hp engine in my cherokee didn't require a flight test.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old December 20th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:03 PM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: After an annual?
Subject: After an annual?

On 19 Dec 2006 16:03:23 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

snip

[...]

I haven't seen it done either, but what about the phrase "...may have
appreciably changed its flight characteristics or substantially affected
its operation in flight"? That could easily mean an annual inspection
where access panels and floor boards were removed or where control
cables were disconnected and lubed, or any other type maintenance that
might impact safety of flight. I think this is a really good question
that has been raised and I would expect the attorneys to think likewise.

Old December 20th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old December 20th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 02:22:34 GMT, "Jim Carter"
wrote:

snip

I haven't seen it done either, but what about the phrase "...may have
appreciably changed its flight characteristics or substantially affected
its operation in flight"? That could easily mean an annual inspection
where access panels and floor boards were removed or where control
cables were disconnected and lubed, or any other type maintenance that
might impact safety of flight. I think this is a really good question
that has been raised and I would expect the attorneys to think likewise.

time out. please stop.

I defy you to find ANY aviation maintenance facility in the United
States that has a policy of performing a CFR-defined "test flight"
after ANY routine periodic inspection or general "maintenance" prior
to approval for return to service.

BTW, if it isn't written into the logbooks as such, technically, it
didn't happen.

With regard to certain specific airframe maintenance, certain specific
auto-flight and stall warning systems, the mfg's AMM has specific
requirements for performing a "test flight".

TC

P.S. FWIW, who do you really think returns a type-certificated
aircraft to service after inspection or maintenance, thus implying
approval of it's "airworthiness"?
Old December 20th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article 000301c723dd$b2e364e0$e302a8c0@omnibook6100,
"Jim Carter" wrote:

Why would the STC have to require a flight check is one was required by
FAR? I can easily see how an engine overhaul or upgrade (per STC) could
change flight characteristics.

For the same reason the STC included instructions to file a 337?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the