Chelton vs. Garmin - what am I missing?

Old December 26th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default Chelton vs. Garmin - what am I missing?

Lots of chatter about Garmin's, but no one talks about the Chelton
avionics. Looking at TAP recently it seems the prices are very close to
the same for similarly equipped panels. I understand that Garmin appears
to be cheaper to piece meal together and that the Chelton appears to be
an all or nothing solution, but other than that what am I missing? Why
don't I see more Chelton in the discussion groups?

Old December 26th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in message news:000501c7292a$c5e31f70$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100.. .
Lots of chatter about Garmin's, but no one talks about the Chelton
avionics. Looking at TAP recently it seems the prices are very close to
the same for similarly equipped panels. I understand that Garmin appears to
be cheaper to piece meal together and that the Chelton appears to be an
all or nothing solution, but other than that what am I missing? Why don't
I see more Chelton in the discussion groups?

Are yoy talking about the G1000 are the new G900x & G600. If you are talking
about the G1000 then the reason is that they are in planes from the factory
and there are a lot more of them. As far as the G900x & G600 I haven't seen
much talk about them at all.

The G600 seems like it is competing with Chelton but the G900 is like the
G1000 in that it has the com/nav/xponder/gps... Of course the G900 is
uncertified so it is only available for experimentals.

Old December 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 3:40 PM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: Chelton vs. Garmin - what am I missing?
Subject: Chelton vs. Garmin - what am I missing?

[...]

I wasn't thinking of any model specifically, but I pulled the 1st Dec
issue of TAP just now and was looking at prices. The Chelton EFIS basic
system is around 30K and the Garmin Deluxe IFR stack (not G1000) is also
around $30K. I haven't even looked at prices for the G900 or G600 yet
and haven't seen much on them really.

I just find it interesting that Chelton is almost never mentioned on the
newsgroups.

Old December 26th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Chelton vs. Garmin - what am I missing?"Jim Carter" wrote in message news:000501c7292a$c5e31f70$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100.. .

Lots of chatter about Garmin's, but no one talks about the Chelton
avionics. Looking at TAP recently it seems the prices are very close to
the same for similarly equipped panels. I understand that Garmin appears to
be cheaper to piece meal together and that the Chelton appears to be an
all or nothing solution, but other than that what am I missing? Why don't
I see more Chelton in the discussion groups?

Are yoy talking about the G1000 are the new G900x & G600. If you are talking
about the G1000 then the reason is that they are in planes from the factory
and there are a lot more of them. As far as the G900x & G600 I haven't seen
much talk about them at all.

The G600 seems like it is competing with Chelton but the G900 is like the
G1000 in that it has the com/nav/xponder/gps... Of course the G900 is
uncertified so it is only available for experimentals.

What are the associated costs?
The G900 is $60,000.
The G600 is $30,000.

How much do the Chelton units cost?

Old December 26th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Are yoy talking about the G1000 are the new G900x & G600. If you are talking
about the G1000 then the reason is that they are in planes from the factory
and there are a lot more of them. As far as the G900x & G600 I haven't seen
much talk about them at all.

I'm not sure Garmin has shipped any 600's yet.
Old December 26th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
news:001001c7293b$f37ccc40$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100.. .
I wasn't thinking of any model specifically, but I pulled the 1st Dec
issue of TAP just now and was looking at prices. The Chelton EFIS basic
system is around 30K and the Garmin Deluxe IFR stack (not G1000) is also
around $30K. I haven't even looked at prices for the G900 or G600 yet
and haven't seen much on them really.

I just find it interesting that Chelton is almost never mentioned on the
newsgroups.

That's apples and oranges then. The Garmin deluxe IFR stack and the Chelton
are two different things. The Chelton replaces the six pack and the IFR
stack is a bunch of radios.

There was some talk about the Chelton unit a while back in the RAH group but
the damn thing is just so pricey that it pushes itself right out of the
homebuilt market except for the Lanceaire and high end RVs.

As I said in my first reply it's competition in the certified market is the
G600 and they cost about the same if I'm not mistaken.

Old December 26th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Are yoy talking about the G1000 are the new G900x & G600. If you are
talking about the G1000 then the reason is that they are in planes from
the factory and there are a lot more of them. As far as the G900x & G600
I haven't seen much talk about them at all.

I'm not sure Garmin has shipped any 600's yet.

I'm not either. Have they shipped a G900X yet? If I had 60 or 70 K to spend
on a panel and had room for the thing it would be very cool.

I'll have to live with the Dynon though.

Old December 26th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Posted At: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:53 PM
Posted To: rec.aviation.owning
Conversation: Chelton vs. Garmin - what am I missing?

That's apples and oranges then. The Garmin deluxe IFR stack and the
Chelton
are two different things. The Chelton replaces the six pack and the

IFR
stack is a bunch of radios.

There was some talk about the Chelton unit a while back in the RAH

group
but
the damn thing is just so pricey that it pushes itself right out of

the
homebuilt market except for the Lanceaire and high end RVs.

As I said in my first reply it's competition in the certified market

is
the
G600 and they cost about the same if I'm not mistaken.

I thought the Chelton included the avioncs because of how the 3D maps
were being presented. Does Chelton just provide the MFD and EFIS but we
have to supply nav and comm from elsewhere? Or am I seeing display only
prices for full-up ads?

Old December 27th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
news:001201c72944$4d471ed0$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100.. .

I thought the Chelton included the avioncs because of how the 3D maps
were being presented. Does Chelton just provide the MFD and EFIS but we
have to supply nav and comm from elsewhere? Or am I seeing display only
prices for full-up ads?

The Cheltons have a GPS in them and I, looking at their web site, can't tell
if it is IFR certified or not and may just be there for VFR or to display
the synthetic vision.

But NAVs, COMs and may be even IFR GPS have to come from some where else.
They have a pretty extensive list of avionics that work with the unit on
their website.