Cubcrafters vs. Legend Cub

Old March 12th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jkgoblue

Default Cubcrafters vs. Legend Cub

I recently got my tail wheel endorsement (in a Citabria) and really
enjoyed the whole experience. What a blast! While I like the Citabria,
the classic cub looks so neat and I'd love to check one out. I'm just
a renter now but I'm toying with owning a tailwheel. I'm quite tall
and I just fit into the Citabria and was wondering if I'd fit in one
of the newer cubs since they advertise it being 4 inches wider. (6'7",
200lbs)

Are there any new buyers out there who bought one of these new cubs?
Which Cub did you buy and why? If I can fit in a citabria, can I fit
in one of these?

Thanks

Old March 12th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 12, 9:39 am, "Jkgoblue" wrote:
I recently got my tail wheel endorsement (in a Citabria) and really
enjoyed the whole experience. What a blast! While I like the Citabria,
the classic cub looks so neat and I'd love to check one out. I'm just
a renter now but I'm toying with owning a tailwheel. I'm quite tall
and I just fit into the Citabria and was wondering if I'd fit in one
of the newer cubs since they advertise it being 4 inches wider. (6'7",
200lbs)

I can't tell you about the new cub but I've got a bunch of time in the
old Cub. I'm 6'4" and it was tight but not nearly as tight as most
planes or that era (Chief, Taylorcraft, etc). Since you fly from the
back seat your feet wrap around the seat in front of you. In a sense,
the pax in the front is sitting in your lap.
The one thing I didn't like about the classic Cub was its lack of
stability. The plane would never fly straight, no mater how well
rigged it was. Everytime you got some wake turb from a humming bird
going by the plane would bob around and go into a turn. You couldn't
take your hand off the stick for long. Even in minor turb you really
felt like you were bobing around in the air. Interestingly, landing
from the back seat is not nearly as big of a deal as your would think.
Once you get your visual picture down the runway on landing (around
the cylinders) its not much different than landing anything else. The
only down side is that you can only see 1/2 the runway on landing
(right or left, your choice) so if a dog were to run out onto the
runway from the side you are not looking at you won't see him coming.

-Robert

-robert

Old March 12th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

I really like the Legend because of the doors on each side.
Summer flying has to be spectacular with the sides open wide.
Great for aerial photography, too.
I have 550+ tailwheel wheel time, ~450 in a 7AC Champ, ~30 in a J-3,
another 40-50 in a Citabria 7GCBC and the remainder in assorted antiques
and classics.
The Cub will outclimb the Champ.
The Cub will fly hands off, you just have to use your feet.
Old March 12th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 12, 12:23 pm, john smith wrote:

The Cub will fly hands off, you just have to use your feet.

hehe. Am I the only one who wasn't able to fly the J-3 with tennis
shoes? I always had to wear slippers because the sold sole of the
tennis shoe didn't allow the bottom of my foot to get under the rudder
to the brake. I always kept a pair of tennis shoes in the back. The
thought of walking out of a farmer's field after an emergency landing
wearing slippers was always with me.

-Robert

Old March 12th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

On 12 Mar 2007 13:37:49 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Mar 12, 12:23 pm, john smith wrote:

The Cub will fly hands off, you just have to use your feet.

hehe. Am I the only one who wasn't able to fly the J-3 with tennis
shoes? I always had to wear slippers because the sold sole of the
tennis shoe didn't allow the bottom of my foot to get under the rudder
to the brake. I always kept a pair of tennis shoes in the back. The
thought of walking out of a farmer's field after an emergency landing
wearing slippers was always with me.

???!!! I've only flown the Luscombe and the T-Cart*, where the heel
brakes were aft and slightly inboard of the rudder pedals. Are the
Cub's heel brakes forward of the pedals?

Don
*Come to think of it, there were a few hours of Aerknocker in there,
too. Same kind of brake rig.
Old March 12th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

wrote:

On Mar 12, 12:23 pm, john smith wrote:

The Cub will fly hands off, you just have to use your feet.

hehe. Am I the only one who wasn't able to fly the J-3 with tennis
shoes? I always had to wear slippers because the sold sole of the
tennis shoe didn't allow the bottom of my foot to get under the rudder
to the brake. I always kept a pair of tennis shoes in the back. The
thought of walking out of a farmer's field after an emergency landing
wearing slippers was always with me.

???!!! I've only flown the Luscombe and the T-Cart*, where the heel
brakes were aft and slightly inboard of the rudder pedals. Are the
Cub's heel brakes forward of the pedals?

Don
*Come to think of it, there were a few hours of Aerknocker in there,
too. Same kind of brake rig.

I never had any issue in the Aeronca. The Cub's brakes are slightly
forward of the rudder itself. I think people with smaller feet are
able to get to the brakes with less effort than I can with my size
13s.
The other fun thing in the Cub is that if you don't like to work the
rudders with the peddles you can just grab the cables that run right
past you. It really shows where the saying "flying in a kite" came
from.

-Robert

Old March 12th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
I can't tell you about the new cub but I've got a bunch of time in the
old Cub. I'm 6'4" and it was tight but not nearly as tight as most
planes or that era (Chief, Taylorcraft, etc). Since you fly from the
back seat your feet wrap around the seat in front of you. In a sense,
the pax in the front is sitting in your lap.

It appears that many of the "new Cubs" solo from the front seat. The "old
Cub" had a fuel tank up front - the newer ones seem to tend towards wing
tanks.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Any Info On Legend Cub Down Near Chicago? Lakeview Bill Piloting 0 July 31st 06 03:13 PM
End of a legend DONSMARK Naval Aviation 11 April 6th 06 04:29 AM
Legend for Jepp Charts CB Instrument Flight Rules 11 July 17th 04 08:04 PM
B-17 Flying Legend sixoclock Piloting 11 February 25th 04 06:03 PM
B-17 Flying Legend sixoclock Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 08:18 PM