Fessing up time on callsigns

Old January 21st 05, 12:30 PM
John Miller

Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:

Mine doesn't have anything to do with male anatomy. Nor is it about wood
working, birds that drill trees, or Tom Hanks' animated cowboy in Toy Story.

You play clarinet?

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm@
Old January 21st 05, 12:57 PM
Dave Kearton

"John Miller" wrote in message

| Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:
|| Mine doesn't have anything to do with male anatomy. Nor is it about
|| wood working, birds that drill trees, or Tom Hanks' animated cowboy
|| in Toy Story.
|
| You play clarinet?
|
| --
| John Miller

Woody stay in tune if he did ?

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old January 21st 05, 02:35 PM
Charlie Wolf

I was enlisted aircrew for 20 years and we generally avoided the
catchy "callsign" phenom -

Well, exept for one of our guys whose nick was "Beans". Real name was
John Van Kampen. Later became an NFO and kept the nick.

We also had a JO in the squadron with a very apt nickname of "Splash".
He got it on a very dark night while he was prefilghting the "ready"
bird, whose tail section was hanging over the deck edge. He attempted
to preflight the back end of the airplane and quite simply walked over
the side of the Nimitz. A/C was spotted right near the crotch of the
angle deck next to cat 2 and therefore had a gap in the safety netting
below the deck edge. Happy ending --- he survived but only due to the
great skill of the MWB crew.

Regards,

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:41:47 -0000, "José Herculano"
wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

=)

_____________
José Herculano

Old January 21st 05, 04:22 PM
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

I was in the business before the general use of personal tactical
call-signs. So, all I ever got was a simple shortening of my last name
to "Raz".

As squadron ops officer in an F-4 squadron I did get to hang names on
a lot of the young troops. One of my favorite was a guy named Jim Teak
who arrived at the squadron wearing the name tag: "Jim Teak--Fighter
Pilot".

Since he was a FAIP (First Assignment IP in T-38s) and had no combat
experience I explained to him that merely being assigned to tactical
aircraft didn't make him a fighter pilot. He was a pilot flying
fighters and would only be a fighter pilot when others recognized his
skills and bestowed the title on him. Until then he should consider
his name tag as misspelled and mispunctuated. It really said
"Jim--Weak Fighter Pilot". From that day on his call-sign was "Weak".
(BTW, he wasn't--he was a very good airplane driver.)

One of the best I've heard from the modern force was a Viper driver I
encountered at a River Rat Reunion. His name tag identified him as
"Oboc".

Naturally I queried and eventually got the story. Seems he was off on
a week-end X-C and got lucky with a beautiful young miss. Next morning
his associates wanted a detailed accounting of how many times, how
good it was, how was she, etc.

Seems he confessed that while both parties were very willing, he
wasn't able to set any performance records because he "Only Brought
One Condom"--henceforth he was "Oboc".

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Old January 21st 05, 04:43 PM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

We didn't have personal callsigns when I was in the Marines, half a
century ago.

?????!!!!!

OK, strictly it wasn't "half a century ago" but from the time I
hit my first squadron in 1963 [after the USMC had sent me kicking
and screaming to fill a "nominate all eligible for aviation
retraining" quota] every pilot in the squadron had a personal
call sign. From every indication in the squadron records [I was
an Ops pogue], this quaint "zoomie" custom had been going on for
a *long* time. Sure wouldn't have stood for it in the grunts; I
can tell you that.

[Upon reflection some time later, 1965/66-ish, the advantages of
being an "airedale", and not back in the grunts humping through
the toolies, was rather more appreciated than it was in 1963.
;-]
--
OJ III
Old January 21st 05, 06:55 PM
Jeb Hoge

Yeesh...welcome to my nightmare.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:16 AM
vincent p. norris

..... one pilot in the squadron, Major Terry Noble, a
great guy, had the nickname "Tripod."

Who named him Vince?

Don't know. He had that nickname when I arrived at the squadron.

vince norris

Old January 22nd 05, 03:21 AM
vincent p. norris

..... from the time I hit my first squadron in 1963......
every pilot in the squadron had a personal call sign.

I left the squadron in 1953 and spent my last year in the Marines as a
Forward Air Controller with an infantry battalion--where, as you said,
the grunts would not have engaged in such a frivolous practice.

vince norris
Old January 22nd 05, 03:30 AM
vincent p. norris

Seems he confessed that while both parties were very willing, he
wasn't able to set any performance records because he "Only Brought
One Condom"--henceforth he was "Oboc".

Gawd, that's the saddest story I've heard in a long time!

Made me recall Tom Lehrer's song: "In case you meet a girl scout who
is similarly inclined, BE PREPARED!"

vince norris
Old January 22nd 05, 06:46 AM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

..... from the time I hit my first squadron in 1963......
every pilot in the squadron had a personal call sign.

I left the squadron in 1953 and spent my last year in the Marines as a
Forward Air Controller with an infantry battalion--where, as you said,
the grunts would not have engaged in such a frivolous practice.

I keep forgetting that you're one of those *really* old pilots my
OpsOs were always telling the nuggets [and the odd second and
even a few third tour pilots that needed an occasional pointed
reminder] they should strive to become. ;-
--
OJ III