AOPA

Old May 28th 04, 03:52 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Default AOPA

Casey,

The AOPA is a mixed blessing for glider pilots. It is by far the best
aviation advocacy group (perhaps in the world), and they appear to
provide beneficial services to individual members. But they advocate
selectively. And glider pilots are so far down the list, it would be
easier to measure from the bottom up. I suppose if glider pilots
joined en masse, then lifted their pens in one voice, the org could
provide very valuable services. But having tested existing services
several times in the past few years (W73 housing encroachment and TFR
issues), I have to admit that I was left thoroughly unimpressed.

In the simplest terms, the AOPA and its current leadership does not
recognize sport aviation as a separate, valid interest. I'm sure they
would debate this, but their actions, from my point of view, argue
otherwise.
Old May 28th 04, 04:51 PM
Jeff Dorwart

I did get a break on my glider insurance for being
an AOPA member that exceeded the cost of my membership.jeffAt 15:18 28 May 2004, Chris Ocallaghan wrote:Casey,The AOPA is a mixed blessing for glider pilots. It

Old May 28th 04, 08:32 PM
Shirley

On the subject of AOPA, has anyone else been telephoned by AOPA and asked for a
donation to their safety program? I don't mind being solicited for donations,
as I think it's a worthwhile program, but I'd must prefer that they MAIL me
info and an envelope rather than calling me on the telephone. That just seemed
weird to me. Has anyone else been approached by phone?

Old May 28th 04, 10:45 PM
Wayne Paul

"Shirley" wrote in message
On the subject of AOPA, has anyone else been telephoned by AOPA and asked

for a
donation to their safety program? I don't mind being solicited for

donations,
as I think it's a worthwhile program, but I'd must prefer that they MAIL

me
info and an envelope rather than calling me on the telephone. That just

seemed
weird to me. Has anyone else been approached by phone?

I have received phone calls relating to the AOPA safety program and AOPA
life insurance.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old May 29th 04, 01:49 AM
Vaughn

"Shirley" wrote in message
On the subject of AOPA, has anyone else been telephoned by AOPA and asked for

donation to their safety program? I don't mind being solicited for donations,
as I think it's a worthwhile program, but I'd must prefer that they MAIL me
info and an envelope rather than calling me on the telephone. That just seemed
weird to me. Has anyone else been approached by phone?

Easy to fix. I am an AOPA member (and think that it is a very good
organization) but was also bothered by the same thing. A single (polite but
firm) e-mail got me on their "do not call list" and years later, still no calls.

Vaughn

Old May 29th 04, 06:17 AM
Atacdad

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

I have received phone calls relating to the AOPA safety program and AOPA
life insurance.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

I joined AOPA in Jan 2003, but let it lapse this year. I didn't get
anything out of it other than a nice magazine with little or no relevant
information wrt soaring. I also found out that I don't qualify for their
life insurance program, as you must hold a valid medical cert. to
qualify...and since I don't need one for soaring, I didn't want to be
bothered...just tack it onto the premiums and it gets to be not such a good
deal (if you don't have to have it for other pursuits).

Old May 29th 04, 11:10 AM
Arbr64

Exactly.

I've been a member for many years and was never bothered by phone, I opted
out of all phone offers.
I receive some of them via regular mail, and every now and then I contribute
to the AOPA Air Safety Foundation for the following reasons :
-I regularly attend their safety seminars, which are the best I've seen in
the country, very well prepared with excellent speakers and to the point.
-I benefit from the ASF's "Safety Advisors", which are very well written in
an easy to read format (about the size of a Magazine but with only 4 to 8
pages) and with excellent illustrations. The one about "Operation in towered
airports" is awesome, as is the one about "Operations in Non-towered
airports", and "Airspace for Everyone", "Collision Avoidance", or
"Maneuvering flight". Check them out at
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/advisors.cfm
-The Skyspotter program, the Flight Instructor Renewal courses, and many
others.
-The AOPA website is a huge source of information and training, and it also
contains an archive of AOPA magazine articles.

I belive in contributing for the continuation of all these things that serve
us all so well, and I will continue to be a member and contribute when I
can.

This is the second time they show something about Soaring in recent times,
and we would do well to create a "Soaring" department or chapter inside the
AOPA. It carries an enormous weight.

AP

Old May 29th 04, 02:15 PM
Vaughn

"Atacdad" wrote in message

I also found out that I don't qualify for their
life insurance program, as you must hold a valid medical cert. to
qualify...

Yes, that also bothers me, and I think that it is something that could be
easily fixable if we made enough noise. In fact, it could be something that the
SSA HQ could fix with a friendly phone call. Actually, with the new
medical-free Sport Pilot license on the horizon, it may be a problem that will
take care of itself.

Don't know about the rest of the country, but here in South Florida, we
have a steady diet of AOPA-sponsored safety meetings. Sometimes it is hard to
find a seat.

Old June 1st 04, 03:57 AM
Kilo Charlie

Interesting perspectives....mostly related to being bothered by phone
solicitations. Also interesting that no one seemed to want to comment upon
the fact that they published an article about sailplane racing. I would say
that in doing so they are showing interest in our sport and would like to
see that as a positive step and reluctant to be so critical.

You may have noted that I never said that the AOPA was the best
representative of soaring. What I did say and what I will stand behind is
that they are the best resource
out there for protecting and preserving our rights to fly freely in the USA.
I also have an example of what they have not done here in Arizona but also
have others of what they have done.

I challenge you to find any other organization with as much clout with the
US government and with as many examples as they have of assisting in
preventing the closer of airports and in keeping the feds off our backs in
the US.

As far as I'm concerned you are sticking you head in the sand if you think
that just wishing for representation from the SSA or other organizations
will be as effective. Powered pilots share a common goal with glider pilots
wrt these issues and there are many more of them so my hope is that by join
forces that we can be even more effective and eventually get better
representation for our sport.

Naysayers flame away!

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

Old June 1st 04, 05:06 AM
Shirley

"Kilo Charlie" kilocharlie wrote:

Interesting perspectives....mostly related to being
bothered by phone solicitations. Also interesting
that no one seemed to want to comment upon the
fact that they published an article about sailplane
racing. I would say that in doing so they are showing
interest in our sport and would like to see that as a
positive step and reluctant to be so critical.

[snip]
I challenge you to find any other organization with as
much clout with the US government and with as many
examples as they have of assisting in preventing the
closer of airports and in keeping the feds off our backs
in the US.

Why so defensive? Speaking only for myself, since I think I'm the first one who
mentioned phone solicitations, I couldn't agree more about AOPA's clout,
presence, and contribution to aviation. I SAID that I was not opposed to
contributing to the ASF, as I feel it is extremely worthwhile (yes, I have
attended in the past and hope to again). My comment was *solely* about the
practice of telephone solicitation for $$ from its members which, while it may
be the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to solicit funds, I still feel is the
tackiest way for an organization that otherwise presents itself so
professionally to approach its members for money. In these times when strangers
from often bogus companies are constantly and repeatedly interrupting you in
your own home at all hours asking you for $$, it's just sad, IMO, for *AOPA* to
be among them.

As for the article, of course it's a good thing whenever AOPA Pilot magazine
includes articles about gliders/soaring. The article and photos in the June
2002 issue by AOPA associate editor Julie Boatman that described her
introduction to gliders/soaring at Estrella Sailport (Arizona) was another
wonderful example of articles that help promote the interest of power pilots
who make up the largest percentage of the AOPA membership.

No organization is perfect in every way. There will always be critics and
naysayers ... the mention of phone solicitation wasn't meant (by me anyway) as
a criticism of AOPA's work or of its worth as a resource to aviators.

--Shirley
(also near Phoenix)