Great Lakes lake effect snow

Old October 6th 03, 08:16 PM
David Megginson

('Vejita' S. Cousin) writes:

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

I can say that medical O2, welders O2 and aviation O2 all come off the
same tank, so they are exactly the same product. I don't know if the
various tanks or eqp used have any affect on flow/use thou.

Thanks. That's one of the few online sources I did find, but it's
good to have the confirmation that the oxygen is the same thing.

All the best,

David
Old October 7th 03, 12:11 AM
EDR

In article , Paul Tomblin
wrote:

Contact NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland OH.
The were giving out Icing DVD's at Sun N Fun this past spring.
They fly a Twin Otter out of Cleveland every winter, searching for ice.
Lake Erie is on the boundary for high pressure/cold fronts blasting off
the Canadian Plains and low pressure/warm fronts moving up from the
Gulf of Mexico. The fronts frequently stall and become stationary in
the Ohio-Indianna vicinity. If you are on the warm side, ice can be
found near the boundary as the cold upper air overflows the warm lower
air. This may be 100 nm ahead of the front.
Ice is elusive, but if the conditions are right, it can hang around as
it did for four days last winter December 31 - January 3 in Southern
Ohio/Northern Kentucky. An east-west cold front stalled along the Ohio
River late in the afternoon of December 31. Temperature/dew points
hovered between 34 and 27 degrees for the next three days.
Precipitation in the form of fog, snow, rain, freezing rain were
prevelent for the duration.
I sat for two days in Mount Sterling KY before driving home to Columbus
OH. I drove back to Mount Sterling two days later when the weather
cleared.
Old October 7th 03, 03:51 AM
Tom S.

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
.net...
This is true if the snow being produced is the flake type which results

from
the direct crystalization of water vapor. The round "pellet" type snow
results from the freezing of liquid cloud droplets. Clouds that are

snowing
a lot of pellet type snow have a lot of ice in them.

The smaller droplets being the more dangerous.

Rime ice? Why? That part breaks more easily from surfaces?

Old October 7th 03, 04:03 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
.net...
This is true if the snow being produced is the flake type which

results
from
the direct crystalization of water vapor. The round "pellet" type

snow
results from the freezing of liquid cloud droplets. Clouds that are

snowing
a lot of pellet type snow have a lot of ice in them.

The smaller droplets being the more dangerous.

Rime ice? Why? That part breaks more easily from surfaces?

Icing is a statistical phenomenon and smaller droplets are more likely to
form ice on wing and rudder surfaces. (ie rudder reversal)

Old October 7th 03, 04:10 AM
Teacherjh

Icing is a statistical phenomenon and smaller droplets are more likely to
form ice on wing and rudder surfaces. (ie rudder reversal)

What is "rudder reversal"?

Jose

Old October 7th 03, 04:22 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Icing is a statistical phenomenon and smaller droplets are more likely to
form ice on wing and rudder surfaces. (ie rudder reversal)

What is "rudder reversal"?

Rudder reversal is a when the pilot commands rudder in one direction and the
airplane reacts as though opposite rudder was commanded. In icing
conditions, small GA aircraft are especially suseptable to flow seperation
due to icing of tail surfaces. Flow seperation is a known cause of "rudder
reversal".

Old October 7th 03, 03:56 PM
Mike Rapoport

You have it backwards, large droplets are more likely to hit the airplane
and form ice. Additionally large droplet ice is more lilkely to for beyond
the protected surfaces into ridges and horns which can cause airflow
separation.

Mike
MU-2

Old October 7th 03, 07:34 PM
John R. Copeland

And that will quickly inflate you like a balloon! :-)
---JRC---

"Todd Pattist" wrote in message =
Craig Prouse wrote:
=20
It's got a little ball that
floats along a scale which is calibrated in thousands of feet.

=20
If you have one of the inline tubing scale-with-ball, you
need to hold the scale vertical to read it or the little
ball can roll to the max flow reading.
=20
=20
Todd Pattist

Old October 7th 03, 09:53 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , Craig Prouse
writes:

You can get a really nice portable O2 system for significantly less than the
cost of a handheld GPS.

Nice review, Craig. Thoughts on where to get a simple portable system?

Chuck
Old October 7th 03, 10:20 PM
lardsoup

A friend of mine flys from Morristown to Buffalo and back a couple times a
week, mostly at night, and he has all kinds of stories of icing. Some of it
sounds pretty scary.

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Ok, it's coming up to that season, and was vividly demonstrated when I got
hit by hail driving through Watertown last night. I drive a lot between
Rochester NY and Ottawa Ontario, and Rochester NY and Whitby Ontario, and
frequently those drives are in good VFR conditions except for that band of
lake effect snow coming off of Lake Ontario at Watertown, and the one
coming off of Lake Erie at Buffalo.

This will be my first year with an instrument ticket, and I'm wondering if
I can fly these trips.
Questions:

1. How high up do those bands go? Can I go over them without oxygen?

2. If I can't go over them, do they produce airframe ice?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
There are mushrooms that can survive weeks, months without air or food.

Tanuki