Up-to-date USN carrier wing composition?

Old February 17th 05, 12:03 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

Default Up-to-date USN carrier wing composition?

Recently I was surprised to see a picture of VF-211 F-14A sporting the
"AB" (CVW-1) tailcode, a Super Hornet assigned to VFA-106, and a picture
of a VFA-22 Super Hornet with the "NK" (CVW-14) tailcode.

I haven't been following naval aviation in detail in the last year or
so, and find that I've pretty much lost track of the changes in the
USN's carrier wings mainly associated with the retirement of the last
remaining Tomcats and Vikings and the increasing numbers of Super Hornet
squadrons. I pretty much know which squadron operates what aircraft
(with a few exceptions, see below), but air wing assignments are another
question altogether.
Can anyone point me to an up-to-date overview of the USN's carrier wings?

Barring that, I have a few specific questions that I am sure some of you
can answer:
Is VFA-106, the East Coast Hornet FRS also going to be the East Coast
FRS for the Super Hornet, or will this role go to a reinstated/new
squadron like VFA-174 for instance?
Does VF-211 still operate F-14As, or have they transitioned to a later
model as newer airframes became available from other squadrons that have
already transitioned to the Super Hornet (for instance ex VF-2 F-14Ds)?
What happened to VFA-97? Are they still the only USN front-line squadron
operating F/A-18As, have they recieved F/A-18Cs from one of the other
squadrons that have transitioned to the Super Hornet or have they
transitioned to Super Hornets themselves?

Thanks in advance,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old February 18th 05, 10:43 AM

Great to hear from you again!:-)

The most up-to-date Carrier Air Wing composition you can find at:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/gonavy602.html
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/gonavy601.html
Lots of data there are really exhausting, and I often complimented the
site on this r.a.m.n. newsgroup.

You can also try http://www.scramble.nl/usn.htm (though some details
there are out-of-date).

To make it as short as possible talking about the communities:

TOMCAT
There remain only four fleet squadrons who still fly F-14B/D:
VF-32, VF-213, VF-31 (all of them will switch to F/A-18F in FY 2006)
and VF-101 (to be deactivated this year).

SUPER HORNET & HORNET
You might be surprised to see Super Hornets with markings of VFA-154
(NG-1xx), VFA-211 (AB-1xx), VFA-11 (AG-2xx) and VFA-143 (AG-4xx -
F/A-18E) ;-)

As you probably remember, VF-211, VF-213 and VFA-22 were given to
LANTFLT in exchange for VF-41, VF-14 and VF-102.

Now VFA-22 is filling the gap in CVW-14 until VF-31 comes back as VFA.
Then Redcocks go to CVW-8. The nearest cruise of CVW-8 is gonna be the
last (double-squadron!) Tomcat deployment.

VFA-82 (to be deactivated soon) is now surge-deployed with
CVW-2/Lincoln team, and VFA-15 is going to replace it in CVW-1.

VFA-106 is a combined Hornet/Super Hornet FRS for the moment, to become
fully F/A-18E/F in future (the role of "legacy" Hornet FRS remaining
with VFA-125 and VMFAT-101 only). Establishment of VFA-174 was
considered, but never happened.

VFA-97 is the first of Navy squadrons put into the UDP cycle according
to Navy/Marine TACAIR integration plan. It received F/A-18C from
VMFA-212 (who, in turn, upgraded to a newer Lot a/c), and is deployed
to MCAS Iwakuni, bearing no tail code. You can find a single photo on
that page:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi...-2004-02f.html

PROWLER
Waiting for EA-6B ICAP III sooner, and EA-18G Growler later.

VIKING
Only one operational squadron reamins in PACFLT (in CVW-9), and in
LANTFLT CVW-7 is going to lose their S-3Bs first. As the Super Hornet
transition goes on, and CVWs receive their full complements of
F/A-18E/F, Vikings will be phased out, and totally gone until 2009.

HAWKEYE
An upgrade to E-2C Hawkeye 2000 (with funny-looking eight-blade
propellers) going.

SEAHAWK
Smells like a big merge coming to put more helos on carriers and make
it fewer types (MH-60R/MH-60S only).

Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo

(my older
is no longer valid)

Old February 18th 05, 12:36 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

[...]

Thanks a lot Jacek. (somebody remembers me!)

I had looked at the scramble site, but all I could find was a list of links

to various bases. With about an afternoon or so I could have probably

figured out the composition from those.

Your overview is about as complete as I could have hoped for. I knew
about most of the upgrades,
but not the carrier wing assignments. I have recently read a magazine
article
about the eminenet changes for the HS/ HSL/ HC community, including a
table of
planned transition dates for numerous squadrons, although these things
tend to be fluid.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old February 18th 05, 02:38 PM

What I could add to the basket:

1. One of the most important info I've found on the Scramble website is
the fact that VFA-15 (then probably AB-2xx) and VFA-22 (then probably
AJ-2xx) would relocate to MCAS Cherry Point at the end of the decade.

After the VFA-82 deactivates, VFA-86 (AB-4xx) might stay as the sole
Navy squadron at MCAS Beaufort, but not for long - I think - and maybe
that would be VFA-87 (AJ-4xx) who would join it.

2. I am bit concerned about the strange modexes carried by the recently
seen birds of VFA-11 (AG-237, AG-241) and VFA-143 (AG-402). AG-4xx was
the modex for VFA-131 Wildcats, so either the squadron might be slated
to join UDP (or deactivate), or when Rippers and Dogs go back to Oceana
their modexes get back to normal AG-10x/11x and AG-20x/21x.

3. As for the CVW-to-CV bounds, all carriers in the Pacific Fleet are
F/A-18E/F-capable (except Connie, which is gone).

On the Atlantic the modernization began with CVN-65 and CVN-73 (I am
not sure if CVN-75 had Super Hornet modifications built-in from the
start), and those will be the first to deploy with CVW-1, CVW-7 and
CVW-17.

Possible early retirement of JFK may make deployment schedule more
complicated.

4. The most fluid thing on the West Coast were recently VMFA
assignments:

VMFA-323 was switched from CVW-2 to CVW-9 (this way avoided was a
possible confusion between two F/A-18 Black Knight squadrons aboard -
VFA-154 and VMFA-314),

VMFA-232 was planned for the nearest CVW-2 deplyment, but VFA-82 has
taken over its place, and finally VMFA-232 took place of VMFA-314 in
CVW-11.

The bottom line is: EVERYTHING IS A MATTER OF WILD GUESS NOW, AND WE
ARE LIVING IN INTERESTING TIMES!;-)

Regards,

Jacek

Old February 23rd 05, 10:26 AM

Hello, great to hear from you again!

Mike Weeks wrote:
wrote:

VFA-82 (to be deactivated soon) is now surge-deployed with
CVW-2/Lincoln team, and VFA-15 is going to replace it in CVW-1.

Since this was observed just recently, I'd guess 136 has moved from
CVW-7 to CVW-1. Since GW has just gone into the yards for a 10-11
month upgrade, CVW-7 is also in flux.

"VFA-136:

F/A-18C: AB-300, AB-302, AB-305, AB-307, AB-313, 164214/AG-310*"

That sounds VERY reasonable: then VFA-15 would go to CVW-1 AFTER its
upgrade to F/A-18E in FY2006, as planned.

Finally, VFA-136 might not return to CVW-7, but could be switched to
UDP or disbanded, allowing one of Marine squadrons to appear in its
place.

The nearest joint deployment of VF-31 along with VF-213 in CVW-8
reportedly was put under question by the guys from the Black Lions (the
info from "Aircraft Illustrated"), what could give a chance for
VMFA-251 to get back to the CVW, but it looks like only rumors...

VIKING
Only one operational squadron reamins in PACFLT (in CVW-9), and in
LANTFLT CVW-7 is going to lose their S-3Bs first.

As is CVW-17 (VS-30) - look for both VS-31 (CVW-7) & -30 to

deactivate
around the same period.

Negative. According to the officially released S-3B squadrons
deactivation plan - NANews Jul/Aug 2004
http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/back.../ja/viking.pdf :
VS-30 (now in CVW-17) is to be deactivated in 2005, but VS-31 (CVW-7)
not!

I'd rather suppose that VS-31 switches from CVW-7 (going to have two
Super Hornet squadrons) to CVW-17 (with no F/A-18E unit until FY2008).

On the West Coast only those CVWs which received a full set of Super
Hornets had their Viking squadrons deactivated. Otherwise, to many
"Super Bugs" per a squadron would have to be sacrified to a tanker
role...

As an added note, start looking for a HSL SH-60B outfit to be

assigned
to CVWs, as HSL-47 (NH70x) is currently w/ CVW-2; then it'll get real
messy as the SH-60R/S enter and we see the merging of HSLs & HSs in

the
strike groups.

Yeah. And HSL-51 integrated with CVW-5, and same things expected in
LANTFLT...

Best regards,

Jacek

Old February 23rd 05, 10:29 AM

Speaking about VFA-97 - here
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/gonavy01.html is another beautiful
photo of their bird - still no tail code assigned - or it is painted on
the inner surface of the fin;-)))

Jacek

Old February 24th 05, 09:07 AM
Mike Weeks

Mike Weeks wrote:
wrote:

VIKING
Only one operational squadron reamins in PACFLT (in CVW-9), and

in
LANTFLT CVW-7 is going to lose their S-3Bs first.

As is CVW-17 (VS-30) - look for both VS-31 (CVW-7) & -30 to

deactivate
around the same period.

Negative. According to the officially released S-3B squadrons
deactivation plan - NANews Jul/Aug 2004
http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/back.../ja/viking.pdf :
VS-30 (now in CVW-17) is to be deactivated in 2005, but VS-31 (CVW-7)
not!

My comment was based on your comment! g "... in LANTFLT CVW-7 is
going to lose their S-3Bs first."

That's VS-31. VS-30 (CVW-17) has told the press they're "done" when
they returned just last Dec. in Kennedy and the schedule says they're
gone by Dec. 2005.

I assumed you'd found something which updated the deactivation list,
and that VS-31 (CVW-17) was going away much sooner.

Now, if you meant "LANTFLT CVW-17" above, then that's a whole other
issue, and it does appear to match what you state below.

I'd rather suppose that VS-31 switches from CVW-7 (going to have two
Super Hornet squadrons) to CVW-17 (with no F/A-18E unit until

FY2008).

As an added note, start looking for a HSL SH-60B outfit to be

assigned
to CVWs, as HSL-47 (NH70x) is currently w/ CVW-2; then it'll get

real
messy as the SH-60R/S enter and we see the merging of HSLs & HSs in

the
strike groups.

Yeah. And HSL-51 integrated with CVW-5, and same things expected in
LANTFLT...

What I wonder is if once everything is tried a few times (perhaps w/
HSL-47 & -51), then they'll do a straightaway merge of the HSL/HS per
CVW as the SH-60R/S inventory builds. But who really knows nowdays ...

Heck, I'm still trying to find actual paperwork that states VF-211
became VFA-211 back last 1 OCT 2004, but no luck.

MW

Old February 24th 05, 11:56 AM

Mike Weeks wrote:

My comment was based on your comment! g "... in LANTFLT CVW-7 is
going to lose their S-3Bs first."

Yes, I tried to put it too short, and hence the confusion;-)

For me, one of the most important threads recently was "NAS Oceana" -
it showed me a difference between "to look" and "to see" (I mean
VFA-136);-) Thanks for keeping me straight!

What I wonder is if once everything is tried a few times (perhaps w/
HSL-47 & -51), then they'll do a straightaway merge of the HSL/HS per
CVW as the SH-60R/S inventory builds. But who really knows nowdays

You mean MH-60R/MH-60S, planned to combine in HSM and HSC communities?
Finally, the number of helo squadrons is going to increase.

(Some discussion about it was also in the "H-60 Relief Effort" thread)

Heck, I'm still trying to find actual paperwork that states VF-211
became VFA-211 back last 1 OCT 2004, but no luck.

A month ago I've found such things concerning VFA-154 redesignation,
and VS-29 & VS-38 deactivations in .pdf somewhere on
www.globalsecurity.org - though I cannot rememeber where exactly...

Best regards,

Jacek

ANG Woman Wing Commander Doesn't See Herself as Pioneer, By Master Sgt. Bob Haskell Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 18th 04 09:40 PM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 06:07 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM
Can someone explain wing loading? Frederick Wilson Home Built 4 September 10th 03 02:33 AM
An Affordable Homebrue 60 in DS machine Grant Soaring 0 August 8th 03 03:52 AM