Flightsim navigation...Kudos to Charles Wood

Old August 20th 03, 05:37 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Default Flightsim navigation...Kudos to Charles Wood

Flightsim Navigation! To me, one name and a specific website [in
addition to his DC-3 virtual airline website] comes to mind: Charles
Wood.
I'll say publicly that for 'both' the real deal [in its direct
adjunctive application therein] and the flight sims per se, this is a
flightsim navigation tutorial that I would rate as absolutely superior.
Superior!

Not only are NDB, ADF, RMI, VORS, ILS/GLIDESLOPE issues fully and
meticulously covered and thoroughly researched and explained [with
source citations therein] but the website offers downloads of 'all'
materials necessary to work your way through the tutorials with equally
downloadable planes/panels with special instructional features created
within the plane panels specifically for the tutorial.

So if you are new to flight navigation [real deal or sim!] or need a
refresher [*too much of that GPS 'follow the birdie' moving map
reliance....great stuff...I use it myself....but if the moving map and
follow the birdie tiny plane icon suddenly fail, then what? Put another
way, how are your back-up nav skills? Think about it! ], this is the
place to go!

Decidedly worth a visit....and all free!

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/#top

Magnificent...and I don't use that word lightly. It's that good and that
beneficial where literally everything [planes and flight charts
inclusive] is provided!

Doc Tony
Old August 21st 03, 12:58 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

John Ward wrote:

Hi Doc Tony,

Thanks for the great link - I'd been looking for something that was "all
in the one place".

Just what the Doctor ordered! :-)

Well, in this case I was just the proverbial messenger and all credit
[and thensome!] has to go to Charles Wood. I've rarely encountered a
website like that, wholly free to boot, where literally everything is
provided and I mean everything! It's a veritable gold mine of
navigational savvy and the materials to do the tutorial at one's own
pace.

I'm reminded of FS98 when I first encountered the surnames "Chaffin,
Rambow and Visser" and their team effort on the standalone DC-3/R4D
plane, panel, gauges, and sounds effort. I was utterly astounded at that
creation and still fly the '98 version to this day....along with the
others. I was just as filled with praise then as I am now with Charles
Wood's remarkable nav website. It got so that I looked to the MSFS
series [and I have them all] merely as the requisite 'engine' to run sim
community creations which I felt were far and away superior to the stock
creations offered within the MSFS sims. Not to mention the sim community
add-ons like Helge's FSNavigator [then a freebie] and assorted sim
community wares. Hey, even Falcon 4, when de facto orphaned by
Microprose and then unceremoniously 'handed off' to Hasbro, was picked
up by the sim community and enhanced tremendously.

It's a great hobby and in fact learning adjunct to the real-deal [there
are names here, including my own, that also appear in the real-deal
piloting and/or A/C owners newsgroups] and so the 'link' to the real
McCoy is a defensible truism...limitations notwithstanding as to full
motion sims and 'real' gauges. But then, it's an adjunct tool that grows
and gets better and better over time, sim sophistication inclusive, in
no small part thanks to our own sim community, various who hold FAA
tickets or have done so in the past, and their collective talents over
the 'demonstrated' long-haul and into the future of flight
simulation. Me...I'm grateful! Very much so!

Doc Tony

Regards,
John

Old August 21st 03, 12:05 PM
Peter and Susan

John Ward wrote in message
u...
Hi Doc Tony,
Thanks for the great link - I'd been looking for something that was

"all in the one place".
Just what the Doctor ordered! :-)

Other classical nav material at my site www.petan.net At
the moment we are rebuilding but the material is still at the old site.

Topics; Visual Flight Rules, Instrument Flight Rules, Dead Reckoning, Night
Beacons,
Aircraft Direction Finding, Ground Direction Finding, Loran/Gee, VAR,
DME & ILS, Celestial Navigation, FAN

Most images,eg Kollsman periscope sextant, click to enlarge.

Some of my material was from "Air Navigation", US Navy Hydrographic Office,
Washington 1963

Cheers
Peter Cokley