Aviation Oxygen Locations in Chicago Area?

Old July 13th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default Aviation Oxygen Locations in Chicago Area?

Anyone have an address in the Chicago area to obtain aviation grade
oxygen? I have a friend who is having a heck of a time finding it.
You would think that some of the smaller airports handling executive
jets would have it.

Thanks, John
Old July 13th 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 12, 4:39*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Anyone have an address in the Chicago area to obtain aviation grade
oxygen? *I have a friend who is having a heck of a time finding it.
You would think that some of the smaller airports handling executive
jets would have it.

Thanks, John

Go to your local welding supplier. The oxygen is just the same as you
get from an FBO and a fraction of the price.

Andy
Old July 13th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Go to your local welding supplier. *The oxygen is just the same as you
get from an FBO and a fraction of the price.

Andy

I don't believe that it can be welders oxygen. It can't even be
medical oxygen. It must be "Gaseous aviator’s breathing" (AVB)
oxygen. I read it has to do with the moisture content to prevent
freezing. True?

It there an FAA regulation on this? I can't find it.

Some info here http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pil..._Equipment.pdf.

Old July 13th 11, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

I don't believe that it can be welders oxygen. *It can't even be
medical oxygen. *It must be "Gaseous aviator’s breathing" (AVB)
oxygen. *I read it has to do with the moisture content to prevent
freezing. *True?

False. The only oxygen available is just pure oxygen. There are no
classes, categories or separate "paper trails".

I have been told the familiar blue "Aviators Oxygen" oval sticker is
applied at the retail level solely for the purpose of setting a higher
price. There are no government regulations requiring it's use.

It there an FAA regulation on this? *I can't find it.

There are no FAR's addressing oxygen composition. The words "aviation
or aviators oxygen" do not appear in the FAR's nor in any other
regulation I can find. The FAR's only describe when and where
'oxygen' is to be used.

Old July 13th 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jul 12, 7:51*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Go to your local welding supplier. *The oxygen is just the same as you
get from an FBO and a fraction of the price.

Andy

I don't believe that it can be welders oxygen. *It can't even be
medical oxygen. *It must be "Gaseous aviator’s breathing" (AVB)
oxygen. *I read it has to do with the moisture content to prevent
freezing. *True?

It there an FAA regulation on this? *I can't find it.

Some info herehttp://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/Oxygen_Eq....

As Bill states, this is completely wrong. Its an old wives tale that
has been repeated here before and I've tried to shoot it down then as
well. I have some background in low-temperature physics/cryogenics
research so let me play whack-a-mole with this.

Oxygen is manufactured by fractional distillation of liquid air (the
Linde process). This generates highly pure oxygen. This produces an
inherently dry gas product. The same liquid oxygen is boiled off and
packaged as compressed oxygen for welding, aviation, medical, other
industrial and scientific applications. All the handling system for
these cryogenic liquids and gasses are very very clean for saftey
reasons.

None, nada, zilch of these end-use gasses have moisture added to them.
Compressed oxygen is a dangerous oxidizer. You would be beyond insane
to want to introduce moisture and resultant corrosion problems to a
compressed oxygen storage system. And under high pressure the moisture
would condense out. Expensive compressors and other equipment would be
damaged by this liquid condensation. Adiabatic cooling as the gas is
release through valves and regulators would cause condensation--if
there was moisture in aviators breathing oxygen regulators and flow
meters etc. could freeze up at cold temperatures found at altitude. It
just makes absolutely no sense to imagine any addition of moisture to
the compressed gas for any purpose. What seems to be the source of
this confusion is medical applications where water is vaporized and
added to the dry gas or the dry gas is bubbled through water etc. at
delivery time--all done at very low pressure.

So can we bury this one please?

Darryl

Old July 13th 11, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kevin anderson

On Jul 12, 7:39*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Anyone have an address in the Chicago area to obtain aviation grade
oxygen? *I have a friend who is having a heck of a time finding it.
You would think that some of the smaller airports handling executive
jets would have it.

Thanks, John

If he can find a Technical Dive shop in the area that mixes gases for
deep water diving then they will fill tanks with aviators oxygen.
Best and easiest, and cheapest source I have in TN. Usually walk in
and walk out with a full tank instead of having to leave the tank at a
gas supply.

Kevin
Old July 13th 11, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 12, 9:11*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:

So can we bury this one please?

Darryl

You may have to talk to someone at FAA. The link provided by the OP
includes this:

"Aviator’s
oxygen must meet certain standards to ensure that it is safe to be
taken to altitude. Only
aviator’s-grade breathing oxygen meets this specification. Neither
medical grade nor
industrial grade oxygen is safe to substitute because they do not meet
the same stringent
standards as ABO."

Of course it's been said many times in many places that this just
isn't true but FAA does seem to want to keep up the illusion. Maybe
their concern is that someone will top off with some other gas, such
as nitrogen which is available at many FBOs, if they don't insist on
ABO labeling.

Andy

Old July 13th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Jul 12, 7:51*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Go to your local welding supplier. *The oxygen is just the same as you
get from an FBO and a fraction of the price.

Andy

I don't believe that it can be welders oxygen. *It can't even be
medical oxygen. *It must be "Gaseous aviator’s breathing" (AVB)
oxygen. *I read it has to do with the moisture content to prevent
freezing. *True?

It there an FAA regulation on this? *I can't find it.

Some info herehttp://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/Oxygen_Eq....

go to this link for info about O2

http://www.mhoxygen.com/attachments/...nformation.pdf

I provide O2 service for our towing operation at Montague. I purchase
large bottles from a gas distributor, (who is also a welding gas and
other gas distributor),

The O2 is the same, ie comes out of the same source except

Medical O2 requires a prescription, bottle is labeled Medical O2
Welding O2
Aviation O2 bottle is green and labeled ABO Aviators Breathing
Oxygen.

There is absolutely no difference in the product inside the bottle.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old July 13th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Jul 12, 4:39*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Anyone have an address in the Chicago area to obtain aviation grade
oxygen? *I have a friend who is having a heck of a time finding it.
You would think that some of the smaller airports handling executive
jets would have it.

Thanks, John

The O2 for welding, medical and ABO comes from the same source at the
GAS Supply Vendors the only difference is:

Medical: Bottle is labeled Medical O2 and requires a prescription.
Welding: Bottle is lableled O2
ABO: Bottle is labeled ABO (Aviatiors Breathing Oxygen)

There is absolutely no difference in the O2.

I supply O2 for our Soaring Operation at Montague, CA.

I Purchase O2 from a local Gas Distributor. I have watch them fill
the bottles.

Also info from Mountain High:

Old July 13th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Finally some good information on a subject that just won't die.

O2 is O2 is O2... Basic chemistry.

I've been filling my cylinder at the welding shop for years. Read the
previous link about the FDA and required prescriptions.