F-14 Turkey?

Old November 30th 04, 02:19 PM
Pechs1

Interesting that in the USN, anyway, only the F-4 didn't have a "nickname", at
leats while I was in, perhaps the F-8 didn't either-John???. All other jets
did. When I flew the jet for 10 years, it was just the 'Phantom', where all
others were 'Scooters, Dogs, Spads, SLUFs, BUFs, Hoovers, Hummers, BUGs,
Turkeys, etc..

The USAF had many 'names' for the Phantom-Lead Sled, Rhino, being two I
remember.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 30th 04, 03:49 PM
Frank Minich

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Interesting that in the USN, anyway, only the F-4 didn't have a "nickname"

Maybe I missed it, but "Vigi" (does that count as a nickname?) was all I
heard, except when the nose wheel wouldn't line-up with the cat track and a
spin was required - in which case it was the Elephant dance.

Old November 30th 04, 03:58 PM
Charlie Wolf

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:15:58 -0500, vincent p. norris
wrote:

IIRC, there where two guys who came up with the original design - both
named Tom. The name Tomcat came from that origin.

Don't know about that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out
if there wre two Toms. However, don't overlook the fact that Grumman
fighters had been named for cats since the F4F.

The name Tomcat came from that origin.

Possible, I suppose, but Allen Epps' explanation of the origin of
"Turkey" is widely accepted as the correct one.

Yep - I agree. Maybe it's some merging of all of this....
Maybe no one really knows exactly???
Regards,

vince norris

Old November 30th 04, 05:59 PM
Mike Kanze

An early nickname for the Phantom II (remember - there was an earlier
McDonnell Phantom) was "Double Demon," a reference to the F-4's immediate
McDonnell F3H Demon predecessor.

--
Mike Kanze

"He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous."

- JULIUS CAESAR; Act I, Scene 2.

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Interesting that in the USN, anyway, only the F-4 didn't have a
"nickname", at
leats while I was in, perhaps the F-8 didn't either-John???. All other
jets
did. When I flew the jet for 10 years, it was just the 'Phantom', where
all
others were 'Scooters, Dogs, Spads, SLUFs, BUFs, Hoovers, Hummers, BUGs,
Turkeys, etc..

The USAF had many 'names' for the Phantom-Lead Sled, Rhino, being two I
remember.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Old November 30th 04, 08:30 PM
Typhoon502

wrote:

IIRC, there where two guys who came up with the original design - both
named Tom. The name Tomcat came from that origin.

Don't know about that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out
if there wre two Toms. However, don't overlook the fact that Grumman
fighters had been named for cats since the F4F.

I've seen a reference to the early F-14 design as being "Tom's Cat"
and that naturally would have lead to "Tomcat". I think the "Turkey"
was based on the landing appearance but seeing as how "Tom Turkey" was
already in the common vernacular, it's easy to see how maybe some LSOs
could come up with "Tom Turkey" when talking about F-14s in the chute.
So...um, yeah. Probably all of the above.
Old November 30th 04, 09:18 PM
WaltBJ

USAF F4 - "Double Ugly". Although it looked surprising clean nothing
was hanging off of it. Unfortunately when supposedly configured
"clean" the inboard pylons were very rarely removed.
Walt BJ
Old December 1st 04, 01:52 PM
Prowlus

Didn't they name it the "turkey" because of the unreliability of the
engines it inherited from the F-111b? Those tf-30s had a tendency to
flameout at times when power was needed but Navy pilots name it the
"turkey" because It was a capable aircraft, but also big, heavy,
somewhat underpowered
Old December 9th 04, 02:32 PM
Bryan Ashcraft

USAF F4 - "Double Ugly". Although it looked surprising clean nothing
was hanging off of it. Unfortunately when supposedly configured
"clean" the inboard pylons were very rarely removed.
Walt BJ

I seem to remember the nickname "Rhino" in the eighties......

BJA

Old December 9th 04, 06:13 PM
Mike Kanze

Interesting - but not surprising - that the "Ugly" moniker in one form or
another has been applied to so many aircraft: B-52, A-7, entire A-6 family,
just about any "queer" aircraft, many tankers, most fixed-wing "cats &
dogs," many non-pointy-nose birds, and so on.

--
Mike Kanze

"Never forget ... Being your own boss means being your own janitor."

- Adam @ Home, 3/27/04