IFR Cancellation Question

Old December 8th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Roy Smith wrote:

If you were concerned that the controller hadn't cancelled your IFR, you
could have called 1-800-WX-BRIEF and cancelled (again) on the phone.

It's a towered airport. There's no actual cancellation that takes
place. Nobody calls anybody, nobody sends a message, etc.

Old December 8th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

dlevy wrote:

Does "Sundowner 1943L, descend and maintain 2000, report Madison in sight."
imply the controller thought he was IFR?

What else could it mean?

Wouldn't he say the same thing with VFR flight following (traffic
advisories)?

Possibly in a class B but not usually. Never anywhere else.
Old December 8th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

A Lieberma wrote:

Since this is a first time occurrence and no safety issue came up, won't
make a big ado of this, just the ASRS report should suffice. I have never
had bad services from ATC, in fact always the other way around, outstanding
service.

Give the facility a call and ask your question there. The data is kept
on a hard drive for approximately three days and the tapes are kept for
45 days. If you were to call tomorrow they could easily find it on the
hard drive. You just need to know the time it happened.
Old December 8th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

It's a towered airport. There's no actual cancellation that takes place.
Nobody calls anybody, nobody sends a message, etc.

MBO is not a towered airport.

Old December 8th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Possibly in a class B but not usually. Never anywhere else.

Also in Class C airspace and TRSAs.

Old December 8th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Milen Lazarov

On 2006-12-08, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"dlevy" wrote in message

Does "Sundowner 1943L, descend and maintain 2000, report Madison in
sight." imply the controller thought he was IFR?

Yes.

Why? You can get an altitude assignment while VFR and Seattle center
usually asks me to report the field in sight (PAE) even when I'm VFR
before terminating radar services.

-Milen
Old December 8th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Newps wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

If you were concerned that the controller hadn't cancelled your IFR,
you could have called 1-800-WX-BRIEF and cancelled (again) on the phone.

It's a towered airport. There's no actual cancellation that takes
place. Nobody calls anybody, nobody sends a message, etc.

I/m even more confused if it was a towered airport. Approach would
have transfered him to the tower frequency rather than just
RADARSERVICESTERMIANTEDSQUAUKVFRHAVEANICEDAY.
Old December 8th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Ron Natalie wrote:

It's a towered airport. There's no actual cancellation that takes
place. Nobody calls anybody, nobody sends a message, etc.

I/m even more confused if it was a towered airport.

I though an earlier post said he was handed off to the tower.

Approach would
have transfered him to the tower frequency rather than just
RADARSERVICESTERMIANTEDSQUAUKVFRHAVEANICEDAY.

Approach can do both. It depends on the service they are able to provide.

Old December 8th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Newps wrote in
:

Approach can do both. It depends on the service they are able to
provide.

For VFR handling, I would agree with the above, though in my neck of the
woods, I have never heard approach tell VFR traffic to squawk VFR and
expect them to contact tower on their own.

For IFR handling, approach would hold me to tower frequency and
cancellation of IFR is terminated once wheels touch terra firma is what I
was lead to believe. Surely they wouldn't (or couldn't) terminate radar
services before having me contact tower at a controlled airport?

In my case originally posted, no tower was involved, as I was landing at
KMBO which is an uncontrolled airport.

Allen

Old December 8th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

A Lieberma wrote:

was lead to believe. Surely they wouldn't (or couldn't) terminate radar
services before having me contact tower at a controlled airport?

Surely you meant they wouldn't (or couldn't) terminate your clearance.
Radar services could be cancelled at any time.

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 10:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM