LINCOLN

Old February 8th 05, 07:15 PM

Why don't you look at the whole picture. CO was running the CV,
doing flight
ops at night and the dhow was dead in the water. Didn't the 'CO' of

the dhow have a clue?(no!)
As more than a few hapless-well equipped and presumably well informed-
small boys have found out, staying out of a carrier's way can be a
difficult chore at times. Thats especially true if all you are relying
on are visual cues at night, which this dhow likely was.
I strongly suspect that the Kennedy may have fallen prey to a bogus
course and speed presented by an NTDS symbol...I call that kind of
getting snookered by bogus track data the "Vincennes Effect", after a
particularly bad instance of over reliance on what the box tells you.
No matter how high tech, there is no replacing a Seaman's eye.

Old February 8th 05, 09:44 PM
Gord Beaman

Noah Little wrote:

nafod40 wrote:

Yea, but who's dead and who's not?

Depends upon whether you're talking about life or career...

Well, perhaps I'm wrong but it appeared that people were looking
to excuse the carrier's Capt for the accident...it most damned
certainly *was* his fault.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 9th 05, 12:55 AM
LT Steven J Henderson

In article , pechs1
@aol.com says...
D- Yeah, poor him. How many people died? BRBR

Why don't you look at the whole picture. CO was running the CV, doing flight
ops at night and the dhow was dead in the water. Didn't the 'CO' of the dhow
have a clue?(no!) The accident was HIS fault, not the CO of the CV.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Sorry to butt in here but...

I posted a message back when this was "new" news, so forgive me if
anyone has heartburn about the re-stating:

I qualified OOD on the LINCOLN in 2001 and was conning officer on the
deployment before that. The Gulf is a busy place, and the Nimitz class
carriers aren't really designed to be in those close quarters. Most of
the dhows will give you some, not a lot, but some, space when you are
conducting flight ops. Some won't, out of spite or because they just
don't care. You have to be aware of them at all times.

In my PERSONAL opinion, the entire team failed the CO. The TAO, CIC
watch officer, TOP watch, look outs, and the entire bridge team.

Spending lots of time on the bridge, my opinion is that bridge team
should have given lots of warning and suggestions for avoiding
collision. The bridge team, and the enlisted look outs, either have
windows or are actually outside. Night vision, binoculars, and regular
eyeballs are always available in addition to the numerous radars.

The CO is responsible, but I'm sure others were also held accountable.

Just my personal opinion.
Old February 9th 05, 01:07 AM
Thomas Schoene

Pechs1 wrote:
damron- It is very likely that the dhow was sitting dead in the
water, no lights, no
radar reflector, no crewman on watch, no radio, no flares, no clue.

Little craft share in the responsibility for their own safety.
BRBR

I doubt the CO of the dhow knew that under international rules of the
road, a CV dring flight ops has the right of way. Too bad the CO of
the Kennedy got slammed, but it's 'lonely at the top'.

I'll wager that the CO's relief had less to do with rules of the road than
with letting an unknown small craft run into his ship (or vice versa) in the
Persian Gulf after the Cole bombing. That's a major force protection faux
pas.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old February 9th 05, 05:54 AM
C.D.Damron

"LT Steven J Henderson" wrote in message
. ..
In article , pechs1
@aol.com says...
Just my personal opinion.