Why did Bush deliberately attack the wrong country?

Old September 3rd 04, 04:13 AM
Mike Dargan

Jim Yanik wrote:
(Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in
om:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
1...

(Fred the Red Shirt) wrote in
e.com:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
.21...

Abbas was caught in Baghdad and Abu Nidal was killed there. Are
you saying the Iraqi government didn't control Baghdad?

When and when, respectively?

IIRC, Abbas was living there openly after an amnesty agreement.

When was Nidal killed?

The above comments were not from JYanik,your attribs are screwed up.

The 9-11 Commission report says that Saddam had contacts with
Al-Queda. Perhpas not directly connected with 9-11,but
still,contacts with them.

They did not say 'Perhpas not directly connected with 9-11' They
were clear that there was no such connection.

That they could FIND no connection.

Agreed. Thanks for the correction.

Of course,there also was a lot of Iraqi records BURNED before they
collapsed entirely.

Just like the WMD materiels may be sitting in Syria,moved before the
invasion.

Or maybe The Romulan Empire is hiding Iraqi corbomite bombs.
Speculation is not evidence.

Concerning WMD possibly moved to Syria,there was some unconfirmed
intelligence that this may have occurred.Israel seems to think
so.IIRC,there were 3 *specific* sites in Syria,but the US refused to check
them out.

They also made it clear
that the contacts never advanced to cooperation, let alone support.

Just allowing them safe haven and passage is support.

ISTR that the meeting took place outside of Iraq. Not indicative
of a friendly relationship.

Or plausible denial,"cover your tracks".
IIRC,Saddam told them they could go freely in and out of Iraq.
Giving medical treatment to terrorists IS *support*,it's aiding and
abetting.No different than any MD who gives medical treatment to criminals
wounded in a crime and does not report it

Is it okay for the House of Saud to provide aid to terrorists?

Cheers

--mike

19 Al Quada persons found safe passage in the US in 2001.

A failure of our open border policies and administration conflicts like the
State Dept's.

None of them Iraqi.

Old September 3rd 04, 04:29 AM
BUFDRVR

Mike Dargan wrote:

Is it okay for the House of Saud to provide aid to terrorists?

I'm sure you can provide an example? No? I didn't think so. The only thing the
Saudi government has been guilty of is not cracking down on the Wahabbi
madrasses that are creating people who will be drawn to terrorist groups. After
they blew up a square block of a Saudi city, the government got the point and a
crack down has begun.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old September 3rd 04, 04:36 AM
Mike Dargan

BUFDRVR wrote:

Mike Dargan wrote:

Is it okay for the House of Saud to provide aid to terrorists?

I'm sure you can provide an example?

Read Unger's House of Bush, House of Saud.

No? I didn't think so.

If you don't think very well, try to not think too much.

Cheers

--mike

Old September 3rd 04, 05:21 AM
Thelasian

(BUFDRVR) wrote in message ...
Thelasian wrote:

Only IF such events were real and not merely Neocon spin-doctoring.

Come on! Get it right, it's a "vast right wing conspiracy"

Interesting how you're quite willing to see conspiracies where you
like, but not where you don't like.

Both the US State Department and the Iraqi Foreign Ministry have said
they don't have any evidence of Iranian support for al-Sadr

Interesting? But perhaps the military (you know, the numerous guys actually
there, on the ground in Iraq) *does* have evidence.

Too bad they too say that they haven't found the famous "foreign
infiltators"
So are you saying that Maj. Gen. Charles H. Swannack Jr., commander of
the 82nd Airborne Division is lying when he says "Most of the attacks
on our forces are by former regime loyalists and other Iraqis, not
foreign forces," (see below)

His own words and actions
are good enough for me. His exile to Iran following his fathers assasination in
1999 is pretty damning as far as an Iranian link and he has openly called for

Ummmm...in that case you'd better be prepared for a shock: MOST of
Iraq's dissidents have at some time or another been to Iran. Iran is
after all the neighbor of Iraq, and an enemy of Saddam. Does that
automatically make Sadr a stooge of Iran? In fact the current
US-installed Iraqi FM is in Iran - I guess hes' a stooge of Iran too?

and
despite all the White House - Pentagon talk about "foreign fighters"
precious few have actually turned up

Wrong.

"Suspected foreign fighters account for less than 2% of the 5,700
captives being held as security threats in Iraq

How many of the dead are foreign? How many suicide bombers are foriegn? These
guys are not surrendering which will upset your data.
Sorry, but talking with
guys who have been there, they say the foriegn influance in the insurgency is
huge.

Yeah well that's not what your "guys" say to the reporters.

UPI Wednesday, 19-Nov-2003 4:50AM PST
Copyright 2003 by United Press International (via ClariNet)

BAGHDAD, Nov. 19 (UPI) -- U.S. military leaders say there is little
evidence of foreign fighters from Syria, Turkey and Iran in Iraq.

"Most of the attacks on our forces are by former regime loyalists and
other Iraqis, not foreign forces," said Maj. Gen. Charles H. Swannack
Jr., commander of the 82nd Airborne Division....The generals' remarks
don't concur with Bush administration estimates of last month, when
the number of foreign fighters was pegged between 1,000 and 3,000, the
New York Times reported Wednesday...
Old September 3rd 04, 05:32 AM
Leadfoot

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 07:23:32 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

Providing your enemy with a cause that will increase the number of
volunteers 10 fold for his army doesn't strike me as a smart idea. We

need
to work to win "hearts and minds" thoughout the arab wold rather than

hoping
that grabbing them by the balls as this administration has will work.

While this sounds good and noble on its face, it doesn't really work
in the real world. Lyndon Johnson's plea to "reason together" isn't a
good prescription for the elimination of terrorists. When Islamic
terrorists attack the US, destroy the WTC, damage the Pentagon and
attempt to destroy the White House and Capital, you can't simply say,
"Oh, we didn't know you were so upset. What can we do to make it
right."

Give Israel a good spanking when it needs it. Settling the occupied
terrorities was really stupid.

A strong case can be made that the jihadists don't want to rise to our
economic, technological and democratic level. They want to bring us
down to their fundamentalist, repressive, theocratic level. You don't
and arguably can't win their "hearts and minds." You kill them and
create a political situation that can allow the masses of Arab people
some hope for a democratic future.

Just how many do you plan to kill? 10, 20, 30 million? There are religious
schools all over the Niddle east teaching children that america is the
enemy. There are over a billion Muslims, If only 10% hold extemist views
thats a 100 million.

And before someone out in the peanu gallery calls me an anti-semite. I
fully support the right of Israel to exist. I just wish Israel would be
smarter about doing it.

(Note the evolution of democracy in
Iran which has seemingly turned the corner from rule by the mullahs
and now seeks a return to progressivism.)

The last Iranian election seemed to be a step backwards as candidates had to
be "mullah approved"

This
doesn't mean that military operations aren't needed, they are, but they

need
to be well thought out with an eye to the long term consequenses.

Throwing
Saddaam out was the easy part, putting in a government in Iraq that is
friendly to US interests, has the support of its populace and that its
neighbors and the world won't see as US puppet is going to be the

hardest.
We won't know if this can be accomplished until long after whoever wins

the
next election leaves office.

But, if step one (ouster of Saddam) hadn't taken place, would there be
even the glimmer of hope for a government based on democratic
principles?

Might have been a lot brighter picture if we could have worked better with
the UN and our allies. I have a sneaking suspicion that their decision may
not have been based on how they perceived the threat of Iraq under Sadaam
but whether or not they wanted to do it with George "my way or the highway"
Bush in charge. Roosevelt had people working on the occupation of Germany
in 1943. These guys, who have planned this war since 1998 didn't start
until Baghdad fell.

Ultimately we aren't going to know until US troops leave.

I'm certainly not voting for the best recruiter Al-Queda ever had in
November

The argument that "violence begets violence" is core to the pacifist
movement. It also sounds good on its face. But, the principle that
violence increases fails upon historic examination. The violence of
Hiroshima didn't beget more violence,

There is a good argument that it wasn't the A-bombs but the Soviets entry
to the war that did the trick

it toppled the regime and
created a free and democratic industrialized economic powerhouse. The
violence of D-Day and the march to Berlin didn't create more violence,
it brought us 60 years of peace and stability in central Europe.

Apples and oranges. This war is nothing like WWII. Don't mistake my
opposition to Bush for pacifism. I spent a few years on willy airplane
patch in the comm unit (76-80). I fully support the war against Bin-laden
and Al-queda. I think the war though in Iraq is a misguided side show that
wasted resources like RC-135's and arab speaking green berets which could
have been used better in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

When your boot is on the enemies throat you don't let up. Bush did and now
he needs to pay for it.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org

Old September 3rd 04, 06:34 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Mike Dargan" wrote in message
BUFDRVR wrote:

Mike Dargan wrote:

Is it okay for the House of Saud to provide aid to terrorists?

I'm sure you can provide an example?

Read Unger's House of Bush, House of Saud.

"This is where Unger's accusations are greeted with skepticism. For experts,
connection does not prove corruption. Jonathan D. Tepperman, senior editor
at the policy journal Foreign Affairs, argues that Unger's book "has done a
really good job" showing "a lot of smoke but what he hasn't done is shown me
there is any fire." Tepperman wrote a critical review of Unger's book in The
New York Times Book Review. In an interview, Tepperman agreed with Unger
that "these connections" (such as President Bush hosting Bandar at his
Crawford ranch, an honor usually reserved for heads of state) do "look bad."
But he adds "what I don't see is any evidence that the Bush family ever let
their personal financial concerns dictate U.S. policy."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in612852.shtml

A book full of inuendo, and short of hard evidence.

No? I didn't think so.

If you don't think very well, try to not think too much.

So what you are saying with all of that obtuse wording is that you don't
think too much?

Cheers

--mike

The only thing the
Saudi government has been guilty of is not cracking down on the Wahabbi
madrasses that are creating people who will be drawn to terrorist

groups. After
they blew up a square block of a Saudi city, the government got the

point and a
crack down has begun.

Odd how you missed out on this more important bit of Bufdrvr's response.

Brooks

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old September 3rd 04, 10:26 PM
John Mullen

"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote in message
"BUFDRVR" wrote in message

Your opinion is formed on little or no education about the current

government
otherwise you wouldn't call them "Neo-Con".

The term "neo-con" has the advantage that it is close, if
not in etymology then at least in sound and appearance,
to "con-men".

This IMHO contributes greatly to its appropriateness.

As a Francophone you will appreciate the 'con' part of it in a different way
as well. More appropriate still IMO

John

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
George W. Bush Abortion Scandal that should have been Psalm 110 Military Aviation 0 August 12th 04 09:40 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM