LINCOLN

Old January 14th 05, 02:48 PM
B.C. Mallam

Default LINCOLN

The Lincoln looks like a setting duck over there, other than radar and the
Cans what do they have going for them to prevent another USS Cole? Or is
that all they need?

Old January 15th 05, 02:41 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:48:40 -0600, "B.C. Mallam"
wrote:

The Lincoln looks like a setting duck over there, other than radar and the
Cans what do they have going for them to prevent another USS Cole? Or is
that all they need?

Ummmm......

Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of what ships may be escorting
LINCOLN? Here's a hint: she deployed with a battle group.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old January 15th 05, 02:43 AM
C.D.Damron

"Andrew C. Toppan" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:48:40 -0600, "B.C. Mallam"
Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of what ships may be escorting
LINCOLN? Here's a hint: she deployed with a battle group.

Mix in a few SEALs.

Old January 15th 05, 04:26 AM
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP, LP, BLT, ETC.

"C.D.Damron" wrote in message

"Andrew C. Toppan" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:48:40 -0600, "B.C. Mallam"
Do you have any knowledge whatsoever of what ships may be escorting
LINCOLN? Here's a hint: she deployed with a battle group.

Mix in a few SEALs.

Add in new rules of engagement...

Old January 15th 05, 04:40 AM

"B.C. Mallam" wrote in message
news:1105714121.44540f3a92ebe5e81f2ca326eb20d55e@t eranews...
The Lincoln looks like a setting duck over there, other than radar and the
Cans what do they have going for them to prevent another USS Cole? Or is
that all they need?

"Sitting Duck"? Hardly.

A lot has changed in recent years. The days of an "An E-3 with a nightstick
and broken flashlight 'guarding' that row of 32 million dollar aircraft" are
LONG gone. Even in port each carrier is VERY well guarded and knows EXACTLY
what threats are in the area.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'
20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end
AND safely home again!

Old January 15th 05, 03:03 PM
Pechs1

BC writes- The Lincoln looks like a setting duck over there, other than radar
and the
Cans what do they have going for them to prevent another USS Cole? Or is
that all they need? BRBR

I say-I'd be willing to bet the CO of any USN ship would rather stand before
the long green table for killing a few sightseers by mistake than have the USS
Cole happen to their ship.

If I saw a USN ship in ANY port in the world, I would not get into a boat to
'get a closer look'.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 15th 05, 05:39 PM
old hoodoo

The only problem with our smug reassurance that we have corrected the
"security" problem is that terrorists are very flexible. They aways
seem to attack in just the one area not thought about. You can reduce
the risk, but not the possibility.

Terrorists don't attack in order to reduce the size of the US navy. They
do it in with the intention of spreading out/wasting/diverting US
human and material resources and for the publicity. So, now, we expend
a lot more resources protecting ships worldwide when all the terrorists
have done is attack one US ship in a motorboat.

Yes our ships are protected, but in the long run, the attack on the Cole
was a terrorist victory on several fronts.

Of course one little victory doesn't win the war and it may actually
show how limited the terrorist resources are in which they have hundreds
of thousands of targets worldwide but can only successfully engage once
in a while. Maybe the world should not be in a such a panic all the
time, expending a lot of worry when the enemy is going to attack only
sporadically at a time and place of his choosing.

However, think of how little resources the terrorists have spent to
cause worldwide concern and how much we have spent to obtain an uneasy
"security".

I really hope that there is a secret war against terrorism going on, one
that we are winning that we don't know about.

The WTC fell, but the sky didn't...although sometimes I think everyone
thinks so.

Old January 15th 05, 09:15 PM

Lincoln has now moved out to sea. The Indonesians would not let them
operate their jets within Indonesian territorial waters, so the ship moved
outside of them.

It's not easy to intercept a carrier at sea.

Old February 7th 05, 02:10 PM
Pechs1

aardvark- Add in new rules of engagement...
BRBR

No kidding. I will bet any CO will gladly smoke a couple of sightseers by
mistake rather than have a unannounced small boat get close to their ship.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 8th 05, 05:26 AM
Thomas Schoene

Pechs1 wrote:
aardvark- Add in new rules of engagement...
BRBR

No kidding. I will bet any CO will gladly smoke a couple of
sightseers by mistake rather than have a unannounced small boat get
close to their ship. P. C. Chisholm

Kennedy ran over a fishing dhow in the Gulf this summer during night flight
ops. They manged not to see the dhow, much less smoke it, until far too
late. Also bent some planes when the ship tried to take evasive action.
I'm sure the CO would have preferred to shoot the damned thing, 'cause
running it over cost him his command and likely his career.
"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872