LOM engines

Old October 29th 03, 01:35 AM
buckey

Default LOM engines

Anyone with any experience with LOM engines? I am considering the benefits
of a 170 HP LOM 332CE for use in a Mustang II which is rated for a
powerplant in the
O-320 to IO-360 range. LOM sounds like it might be "real airplane" without
the other-worldly prices commanded by Lycoming, Superior Millenium etc.

Any first hand experience here?

Old October 29th 03, 02:34 AM
Barnyard BOb --

"buckey" wrote:

Anyone with any experience with LOM engines? I am considering the benefits
of a 170 HP LOM 332CE for use in a Mustang II which is rated for a
powerplant in the
O-320 to IO-360 range. LOM sounds like it might be "real airplane" without
the other-worldly prices commanded by Lycoming, Superior Millenium etc.

Any first hand experience here?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nope.
Just good used 2nd hand.

Banryard BOb --

Old October 29th 03, 04:32 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Barnyard BOb -- says...

Hey Unka Bob

Just curious,but what is a LOM 332 engine? I don't recall ever hearing of it.

Thanks
Chuck (I don't know everything) S

Old October 29th 03, 04:41 AM
guynoir

See Ayers RV-3:
http://www.aviator.cc/ayers.html

--
John Kimmel

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter -- bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Old October 29th 03, 04:50 AM
Kyle Boatright

Try this link:

http://www.eaa.org/benefits/sportavi...lastar0311.pdf

It is an article from the current Sport Aviation. The subject aircraft is a
LOM powered Glastar. According to the story, the owner is happy with the
installation.

KB

Old October 29th 03, 08:50 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Anyone with any experience with LOM engines? I am considering the benefits
of a 170 HP LOM 332CE for use in a Mustang II which is rated for a
powerplant in the
O-320 to IO-360 range. LOM sounds like it might be "real airplane" without
the other-worldly prices commanded by Lycoming, Superior Millenium etc.

Any first hand experience here?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nope.
Just good used 2nd hand.

Banryard BOb --

Hey Unka Bob

Just curious,but what is a LOM 332 engine? I don't recall ever hearing of it.

Thanks
Chuck (I don't know everything) S

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is 2nd hand, but it's a start.... g

http://www.weebeastie.com/hatzcb1/motorLOM.html
http://www.lompraha.cz/services.htm
http://mbarbee.home.mindspring.com/LOM%20history.htm
http://sbeaver.tzo.com/bucker/engines1.htm

Even in an RV-3.....
http://www.aviator.cc/ayers.html

Unka BOb -- RV3 driver
Old October 29th 03, 01:31 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Barnyard BOb -- says...

Thanks Unka Bob I knew you'd know. It's a Walter engine I heard of Walter
engines but I never heard the term LOM for them. Mary Carlson of Carlson
Aviation has one in their Storch replica called a Cricket. I've seen it in their
plane. See I just learned something. Just like Sister Mary Pontius Pilot used to
say "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and ya moght learn something" :-)

Thanks

Nefoo Chuck

Old October 29th 03, 07:35 PM
Roger Halstead

On 29 Oct 2003 05:31:19 -0800, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

In article , Barnyard BOb -- says...

Thanks Unka Bob I knew you'd know. It's a Walter engine I heard of Walter
engines but I never heard the term LOM for them. Mary Carlson of Carlson
Aviation has one in their Storch replica called a Cricket. I've seen it in their
plane. See I just learned something. Just like Sister Mary Pontius Pilot used to
say "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and ya moght learn something" :-)

I wonder why they use such a low compression ratio? Even car engines
running regular usually run 8:1. This one is 6.3:1.
It would reduce the stress on the parts, allowing less expensive
materials than a reliable high compression engine.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Old October 29th 03, 11:07 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Thanks Unka Bob I knew you'd know. It's a Walter engine I heard of Walter
engines but I never heard the term LOM for them. Mary Carlson of Carlson
Aviation has one in their Storch replica called a Cricket. I've seen it in their
plane. See I just learned something. Just like Sister Mary Pontius Pilot used to
say "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut and ya moght learn something" :-)

I wonder why they use such a low compression ratio? Even car engines
running regular usually run 8:1. This one is 6.3:1.
It would reduce the stress on the parts, allowing less expensive
materials than a reliable high compression engine.

Roger Halstead

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My normally aspirated 150 HP Lycoming is 7.0:1
for 80 octane while the 160 HP version is 8.5;1
requiring 100LL.

I suspect the 6.3:1 is to prevent detonation
when the turbo is at max boost at 100% power.
Effective compression with turbo boost likely
exceeds 7.3:1. Higher compression could
require water injection and/or higher octane
fuel to safely remain out of detonation range.

Air cooled engines require a lower compression
ratio than liquid cooled engines to insure detonation
is never achieved under any condition. That's what
I was told, anyway.

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of flight

Old October 30th 03, 01:26 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Roger Halstead says...
I wonder why they use such a low compression ratio? Even car engines
running regular usually run 8:1. This one is 6.3:1.
It would reduce the stress on the parts, allowing less expensive
materials than a reliable high compression engine.

I guess they can also use lower octane fuel as well.

Chuck