OH IO520 or replace with IO550

Old January 2nd 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Default OH IO520 or replace with IO550

Any info about relative cost of a high quality overhaul of an IO520
compared with replacement by a (say) second run IO550?

"high quality" means to me, at least, either ECI or Millennium
cylinders and a nationally known shop.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rich

Paul kgyy wrote:
Any info about relative cost of a high quality overhaul of an IO520
compared with replacement by a (say) second run IO550?

"high quality" means to me, at least, either ECI or Millennium
cylinders and a nationally known shop.

Paul,
About two years ago I had my IO520BB overhauled by Firewall Forward. It
was about $28,000 (off the top of my head). First class EVERYTHING
overhauled.. chose ECI Titan cylinders. Total bill was close to $40,000
by the time everything was counted (R&R, new BDS baffles and a surprise
unserviceable crank and cam plus some other stuff).

I considered an IO550 at the time (Everybody says that it is truely
remarkable... takeoff and climb) but it was going to go another $13,000
irrc. Something like $5,000 for stc and swapping cranks, and another
$7,000 for the prop.

Some people claim to have done it for $7,000, but I couldn't make the
numbers work. When the surprises came up, I was glad I hadn't gone that
route.

Rich