Why no Cannons on Police Helicopters?

Old April 18th 04, 04:38 AM
Mutts

Default Why no Cannons on Police Helicopters?

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Is it possible to put a round right through the engine block
of a suspect fleeing and stop them from killing innocents?
Seems like that kind of accuracy is possible now isnt it?

When those guys were robbing the bank in LA, seems like
it would have been an easy shot to make from a helicopter
even without a cannon.

Whats up? public outcry or something?
Old April 18th 04, 04:58 AM
Denyav

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

I dont know if a cannon on a police chopper could solve any problems but in the
past some tried to solve problems by using police choppers as bombers but ended
up paying big settlements to the victims.
(MOVE bombing in Philly)
Old April 18th 04, 05:21 AM
N329DF

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Let's see, the average cop on the street can't hit a thing with a side arm
unless he fires 10+ shots, and you want to give them a cannon ?
Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
2003 world champion drill team
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Old April 18th 04, 07:39 AM
tim gueguen

"Mutts" wrote in message

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Is it possible to put a round right through the engine block
of a suspect fleeing and stop them from killing innocents?
Seems like that kind of accuracy is possible now isnt it?

Not consistently in the real world. And 20mm rounds that miss have a nasty
tendency to go hit things and cause damage in places you don't want. Police
forces have enough problems as it is ensuring rounds fired from their
current array of small arms don't hit innocent people when a target is
missed.

tim gueguen 101867

Old April 18th 04, 08:24 AM
Ragnar

"Mutts" wrote in message

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Excellent question! I've always thought they should put at least an M-60 on
the police choppers. Would put a stop to the car chases real quick.

Old April 18th 04, 09:35 AM
Don Harstad

"Mutts" wrote in message

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Is it possible to put a round right through the engine block
of a suspect fleeing and stop them from killing innocents?
Seems like that kind of accuracy is possible now isnt it?

When those guys were robbing the bank in LA, seems like
it would have been an easy shot to make from a helicopter
even without a cannon.

Whats up? public outcry or something?

Discharging a firearm toward another is considered deadly force. The use of
deadly force is very restricted, and understandably so. Simple traffic
violations have never been considered to justify the use of deadly force.

Regarding the bank robbery, the use of deadly force from a helicopter might
have been justified, but the circumstances might not have been conducive to
its use. Too great a chance of injuring a bystander, for example. I
certainly don't have enough knowledge of that particular event, but I have a
feeling that just about every alternative was being considered.

The use of a cannon by police would be entirely too risky.

On the other hand, there were times when I would have welcomed a chance to
call in an air strike. grin

Don H.

Old April 18th 04, 01:12 PM
Paul F Austin

"Ragnar" wrote

"Mutts" wrote ...

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Excellent question! I've always thought they should put at least an M-60

on
the police choppers. Would put a stop to the car chases real quick.

That sounds about right. If the police are going to use armed helos, they
need sufficient firepower. I would want at_least_an M60 turret welded on the
bottom of each one. Maybe an M1 turret would be better. Or two. Can't have
enough firepower.

Old April 18th 04, 03:51 PM
Jim Yanik

"Ragnar" wrote in
:

"Mutts" wrote in message

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Excellent question! I've always thought they should put at least an
M-60 on the police choppers. Would put a stop to the car chases real
quick.

Or they could use a Barrett light 50 M82A1 .50BMG rifle.
If they can't get a car with 10 rounds....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old April 18th 04, 03:55 PM
Jim Yanik

"Paul F Austin" wrote in
news

"Ragnar" wrote

"Mutts" wrote ...

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Excellent question! I've always thought they should put at least an
M-60

on
the police choppers. Would put a stop to the car chases real quick.

That sounds about right. If the police are going to use armed helos,
they need sufficient firepower. I would want at_least_an M60 turret
welded on the bottom of each one. Maybe an M1 turret would be better.
Or two. Can't have enough firepower.

Are you suggesting an AC-130 gunship??? 8-)

Maybe they could make a V-22 into a civilian AC-130.(Airwolf???)
Hover and shoot the crap out of fleeing autos,no more hi-speed chases.
They would only have to do it once or twice and televise the gun camera
video,the crooks would get the idea.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old April 18th 04, 05:26 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:55:05 +0000 (UTC), Jim Yanik
wrote:

"Paul F Austin" wrote in
news

"Ragnar" wrote

"Mutts" wrote ...

Wouldnt a cannon on a police helicopter solve a lot of
problems for law enforcement?

Excellent question! I've always thought they should put at least an
M-60

on
the police choppers. Would put a stop to the car chases real quick.

That sounds about right. If the police are going to use armed helos,
they need sufficient firepower. I would want at_least_an M60 turret
welded on the bottom of each one. Maybe an M1 turret would be better.
Or two. Can't have enough firepower.

Are you suggesting an AC-130 gunship??? 8-)

Maybe they could make a V-22 into a civilian AC-130.(Airwolf???)
Hover and shoot the crap out of fleeing autos,no more hi-speed chases.
They would only have to do it once or twice and televise the gun camera
video,the crooks would get the idea.

Now yer talkin' Blue Thunder