Old airframe, new engine

Old October 13th 03, 09:55 PM
Jim Strand

Default Old airframe, new engine

Every year or so I post a similar version of this. Always nice to see
the comments. Seeing as how we have a few new faces around here now
lets have another go at it.

You are able to select any tactical jet airframe from the past. We'll
assume all engines would fit properly. What bird would you like to
fly again if it had modern engines and avionics as well?

My first tour of duty was at NKX when Fightertown meant F-4's and
F-8's. Always wondered what a new series engine would have done for
the Crusader.

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
Anti-spam measures in action.
For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Old October 14th 03, 03:49 PM
Matt Wiser

Jim Strand wrote:
[...]

Here's mine:

1) A-6
2) F-4E
3) A-4
4) A-7

Old October 14th 03, 05:05 PM

"Jim Strand" wrote in message
Every year or so I post a similar version of this. Always nice to see
the comments. Seeing as how we have a few new faces around here now
lets have another go at it.

You are able to select any tactical jet airframe from the past. We'll
assume all engines would fit properly. What bird would you like to
fly again if it had modern engines and avionics as well?

My first tour of duty was at NKX when Fightertown meant F-4's and
F-8's. Always wondered what a new series engine would have done for
the Crusader.

From my generation it would be the following,

Attack: I think it would have to be an A-4. An afterburner TF30-3 of about
18,000 lbs thrust would have made it an even better "Hot Rod". I didn't have
a lot of hours in it, but it was pure fun.

Fighter: The F-8/RF-8 would be my first choice. It needed an engine of about
5,000 lbs more thrust. I would have liked to fly the F104 though, just to
see what it would do. I think I would like a ride in an MIG-21 though. It
was the "boogie-man" for so many years it would be nice to see what it would
really do.

For hauling ass: The RA-5C with the dash 10 engines of course. Maybe another
couple 1000 lbs thrust and the ability to pull 4 or 5 G's. A strong second
would have to be the F-105. Although the B-58 that made the low level
supersonic flight from Texas to Calif and back was probably the all-time
champ.

From later generation aircraft: I guess the only one that excites me is the
F-16. Maybe low level ride in a B1B. I don't get turned on by the F-14,
F-15, F/A-18, or any of the others.

Yeah, I know the B-58 and the B1B were not tactical aircraft, but this is
make believe anyway.

For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California
trying to sneak up on Yuma it was great aircraft.

Old October 14th 03, 06:16 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/14/03 9:49 AM, in article 3f8c0d21$1@bg2., "Matt Wiser"
wrote:

Jim Strand wrote:
[...]

SNIP

Ditto.

A-6E (naturally) upgraded to the A-6F would have been good enough for me.
Unfortunately, the tail couldn't handle the normal shock from the 404.

I'd also love to see engines in the F/A-18 that would give it the T/W of the
Viper. Pipe dream.

--Woody

Old October 14th 03, 06:19 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/14/03 11:05 AM, in article
, "R"
wrote:

"Jim Strand" wrote in message
Every year or so I post a similar version of this. Always nice to see

SNIP

For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California

Something tells me that "under" the power lines was once an "over" but
became an "under" over time.

Old October 14th 03, 07:56 PM
John Carrier

For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a

vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California
trying to sneak up on Yuma it was great aircraft.

Well, the F-8U3 had a J-75 tuned to 29,000 lbs of thrust ... that might have
granted your wish. Of course, it would have retained the Gator's endearing
flying qualities at the blunt end of the boat.

No jet ever made (or that ever will be made) had enough power.

R / John

Old October 14th 03, 10:41 PM
José Herculano

No jet ever made (or that ever will be made) had enough power.

Possible exception of the F/A-22 Raptor under current conditions...
_____________
José Herculano

Old October 15th 03, 02:49 AM

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 10/14/03 11:05 AM, in article
, "R"
wrote:

"Jim Strand" wrote in message
Every year or so I post a similar version of this. Always nice to see

SNIP

For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a

vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California

Something tells me that "under" the power lines was once an "over" but
became an "under" over time.

Well it only happened once! I could have sworn that the power lines were a
couple miles on the other side of the Aqueduct.:-)

Heck, I was lucky, one F-8 driver put out the lights in SoCal, (actually it
was daylight, but never let the facts interfere with a good sea story.) Both
he and the aircraft survived, to face the wrath. It just proved that the
titanium intake was a good cable cutter.

trying to sneak up on Yuma it was great aircraft.

--Woody

Besides if it didn't happen that way it should have.

Red

Old October 15th 03, 02:54 AM

"John Carrier" wrote in message
For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a

vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California
trying to sneak up on Yuma it was great aircraft.

Well, the F-8U3 had a J-75 tuned to 29,000 lbs of thrust ... that might

have
granted your wish. Of course, it would have retained the Gator's

endearing
flying qualities at the blunt end of the boat.

No jet ever made (or that ever will be made) had enough power.

R / John

Its been over 30 years, we don't remember how it was, only how it should
have been. The gator was perfect around the boat

Red

Old October 15th 03, 02:55 AM
KenG

HABU, HABU, HABU....

José Herculano wrote:
No jet ever made (or that ever will be made) had enough power.

Possible exception of the F/A-22 Raptor under current conditions...
José Herculano

max altitude and Mach 1 Boomer Military Aviation 22 June 1st 04 08:04 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 03:03 PM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM