Old airframe, new engine

Old October 15th 03, 06:10 AM
Mary Shafer

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:41:47 +0100, "José Herculano"
wrote:

No jet ever made (or that ever will be made) had enough power.

Possible exception of the F/A-22 Raptor under current conditions...

How about the big black twin two-seater I used to work on? Whatever
its limitations, lack of thrust wasn't one.

It's not every airplane that can burn 85,000 lb of fuel in just over
an hour, you know.

Mary

Old October 15th 03, 12:24 PM
John Carrier

Its been over 30 years, we don't remember how it was, only how it should
have been. The gator was perfect around the boat

Perfectly unforgiving. It had the highest ramp strike rate of any tactical
aircraft that operated on angled deck carriers. There was a reason there
were no bad F-8 drivers.

R / John

Old October 15th 03, 02:45 PM
Jim Strand

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:05:49 GMT, "R" wrote:

For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California
trying to sneak up on Yuma it was great aircraft.

Recalling the VFR days of the 60's did you ever fly the VFR High
Performance West departure out of NKX? Or the essentially same
SCAMP-1?

NKX was certainly a thrilling place to be a controller in those days.
Was amazed at how well pilots and controllers managed to mix the Atlas
entries with Mission Bay entries, avoiding MYF and radar traffic.

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
Anti-spam measures in action.
For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Old October 15th 03, 07:53 PM
John Carrier

Only did it a couple times. By the time I got there, 1971, the scamp was
NOT encouraged.

R / John

Old October 15th 03, 09:49 PM
catsrus

Mary -
Is there any sensible reason why your airframe was retired from
service when it still seemed to be viable?

Was it only a money issue or is there more to it than that?

Regards,

Old October 15th 03, 10:40 PM
Charlie Wolf

Sorry Mary - the above posting is mine. I used a different posting
nym to try to solve a NG retrieval issue. My apologies.
Regards,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:49:15 -0500, catsrus
wrote:

Mary -
Is there any sensible reason why your airframe was retired from
service when it still seemed to be viable?

Was it only a money issue or is there more to it than that?

Regards,

snipped...

Old October 15th 03, 10:47 PM
Mark Schaeffer

An A3 (all 3 dead) NFO of my acquaintance called the Crusader the
"Ensign Eater." Sounds like a REALLY steep learning curve...

Mark

Old October 16th 03, 12:44 PM
mah

Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:

On 10/14/03 11:05 AM, in article
, "R"
wrote:

"Jim Strand" wrote in message
Every year or so I post a similar version of this. Always nice to see

SNIP

For me the winner would be the F-8. You never forget your first love.
Whether it was climbing out of Key West after a Cuban MIG, doing a vertical
pass on a Bear, or flying under the power lines in southern California

Something tells me that "under" the power lines was once an "over" but
became an "under" over time.

Check out the F-4 at the Combat Air Museum in Toopeka KS. It is called
the Wichita Lineman since it came back from a mission streaming cable
from the vertical stabilizer.

MAH
Old October 17th 03, 03:15 AM
James Woody

I did not see it listed on the web site.
http://www.combatairmuseum.org/aircraft.htm

Any other information on this bird?

Woody

Old October 20th 03, 01:07 AM
mah

James Woody wrote:

I did not see it listed on the web site.
http://www.combatairmuseum.org/aircraft.htm

Any other information on this bird?

Woody

The aircraft was there 3 years ago during my visit. I assume it is
still there. I'll look through my photos and see if I can dig up a tail
number.

MAH

max altitude and Mach 1 Boomer Military Aviation 22 June 1st 04 08:04 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 03:03 PM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM