AutoGas question.. Jay Honeck, Jim Weir.. others..

Old November 3rd 04, 03:41 PM
Dave S

Default AutoGas question.. Jay Honeck, Jim Weir.. others..

The folks here who are running autogas.. I have a question for you.

Preface: When I was tasked by my volunteer fire department 10 years ago
to stamp out fuel credit card abuse and fraud, I secured the services of
a certain brand's fleet card system. The sales vendor who set up our
account told me that any of our OFF ROAD engines were eligible to be
billed free of the state and federal highway fuel taxes. In the fire
dept's case this was for generators and free standing pumps.. but our
"off road" gasoline useage was so light that it wasnt even worth the hassle.

So.. Since aircraft (with the exception of Mr Moller's wannabe Skycar
and a few others) are not considered licensed motor vehicles for the
purpose of the fuel taxes, do you guys make an effort to obtain fuel
with a special account that gives credit for these taxes? In Texas the
amount is 38.5 cents/gal and over a year or so that can add up to real
money (especially in light of the discounted price of autogas compared
to 100LL)

I'm presuming some method of accounting would be needed in the event of
an audit.. but just wanted to see if 1) anyone else was aware of this 2)
does it still exist and 3) does anyone do it?

I figured Jay Honeck would be a perfect example of someone who could do
this, since he has his Mighty Grape (TM) fuel shuttlemobile. If the
Texas rates apply I would guess this could drop Atlas's operating costs
by $4-$6 per hour (40 cents x 10-15 GPH). Fillup of the Grape's 60 gal
tank would be about $23-$24 cheaper. Every little bit helps.

I was planning on contacting Fuelman/Rushce about their fuelcard setup
but havent gotten to it just yet (many months out from flying the
Velocity with auto conversion)...

So.. anyone have input, feedback, comment?
Dave

Old November 3rd 04, 03:46 PM
Jay Honeck

I figured Jay Honeck would be a perfect example of someone who could do
this, since he has his Mighty Grape (TM) fuel shuttlemobile. If the Texas
rates apply I would guess this could drop Atlas's operating costs by $4-$6
per hour (40 cents x 10-15 GPH). Fillup of the Grape's 60 gal tank would
be about $23-$24 cheaper. Every little bit helps.

This is an intriguing idea. I've heard about doing this, but have never
pursued it.

I hope someone here can point the way for the rest of us (as far as what
paperwork is required, the procedures to follow, etc.), as this is a
significant savings!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 04:07 PM
TripFarmer

You need to check with your state. In Alabama it doesn't apply to
airplanes. It's meant to apply to large machinery like front-end
loaders, road machinery (scrapers, etc.) and the like. But your
state will let you know it's laws.

Trip

In article et, says...

Old November 3rd 04, 04:12 PM
Dave S

Umm.. why WOULDNT it apply? You are using it for an engine that is NOT
being used to operate upon public highways? In theory you could even do
this for your gasoline lawn mower but at less than a gallon a month
useage its just not worth the hassle..

Oh well.... I WILL check into it for my state... and I am sure if I
check with a national fuel card vendor they can tell me if certain
states disallow or permit such things..

Dave

Old November 3rd 04, 04:50 PM
Rosspilot

I haven't looked into it, although it would be worthwhile to save the tax
portion of a gallon. I have been somewhat happy to pay the $1.90 and be
grateful my plane runs so well on it.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old November 3rd 04, 04:52 PM

It depends on the state. There are a few pages (too lazy to google for you
now) that specify which ones and how much. I know firsthand that Virgina (where I'm
located) will refund $0.175/gal for some things (e.g. boats). For aircraft, it's
$0.125/gal (I'm assuming a nickel out for airport taxes). I fill my PA-28 from 6
gallon cans shuttled from the nearby service station. I just have to submit the
receipts along with a form within 1 year of the purchase.

I've gotten back over $225 so far between post cross-country flight fuelups
and my instrument rating training.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old November 3rd 04, 05:42 PM
John Clonts

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Hello Dave,

For Texas:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu....000162.00.htm

look at paragraph "162.125 (c) 4"

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf.../06-forms.html

under "refunds"

Note, I have no experience with this, but it does sound pretty interesting!

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old November 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
TripFarmer

Like I said, check with YOUR state. They are the controlling entity.

Trip
Some people will argue about anything.

In article .net, says...

TripFarmer wrote:
You need to check with your state. In Alabama it doesn't apply to
airplanes. It's meant to apply to large machinery like front-end
loaders, road machinery (scrapers, etc.) and the like. But your
state will let you know it's laws.

Trip

In article et, DoggtyredRN

says...

Old November 3rd 04, 06:00 PM
RKHenry

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
The folks here who are running autogas.. I have a question for you.

I've also read that in some states you can get a refund of fuel taxes on
avgas.

I'm not sure how members of the "Can Clan" who tanker fuel from the corner
gas station in jerry cans would handle this. It's one thing to send the
state a fuel invoice from the FBO, it's another to send in a cash register
receipt from the convenience mart.

Would it make any difference to anyone if you knew that the tax was going
into the Airport & Airways Fund instead of the state highway fund? I worry a
little about that now that the airlines are arguing that the reason that
they're all hemorraging money is because General Aviation isn't paying for
100% of the cost of ATC--which was mandated by the airlines.

RK Henry

Old November 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Allen

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

I know that in New Mexico the road tax is added to avfuel also, you had to
apply for the refund just as you would for off-road auto fuel.

allen