GA Terror Threat

Old March 23rd 05, 01:15 PM
Steve Foley

Default GA Terror Threat

Interesting that they consider a security breach by the media as more likely
than a plane being stolen and used in an attack

TO: All Massachusetts Airports

FROM: Arthur G. Allen, Chairman

DATE: March 22, 2005

New information from Homeland Security and the Transportation Security
Administration indicate that recently intercepted telephone traffic and
other intelligence suggest that there may be an elevated risk for General
Aviation Airports and the small aircraft fleet. We at the MAC have asked for
your cooperation before on this matter and we are back with a new emphasis.
We are now under two threats. First, there is a real attempt to use a stolen
aircraft in a terrorist event. Even more likely, as shown on television last
week, is an attempt to demonstrate a lack of security by a media outlet.

Newspapers and television stations have tried around the country and, on
many occasions, have succeeded in compromising General Aviation airport's
security measures. If a station is able to broadcast footage showing
reporters around aircraft that are not secure, or are able to film from an
Aircraft Operating Area (AOA) without being challenged, we have failed. We
must be sure that people are challenged if they do not have an ID badge.
This is critical. A real incident or a media manufactured incident would not
speak well for general aviation security.

Please notify user groups and staff as soon as possible to:

· Lock all cockpits, remove keys from ignitions and secure aircraft from
flight;

· Wear ID badge on the entire airport property and (AOA);

· Challenge anyone on a ramp (AOA) to show you an authorized ID badge;

· Report unauthorized (unbadged) people to airport management or security
immediately. (This must be done when in doubt);

· If you see a film crew on the airport, ask them who they are and whether
they have received permission from the airport manager to film. Ask for ID
badges. If they do not produce badges, usher them off the airports and alert
the local police.Newspaper reporters are not authorized to breach security
by entering the AOA. See a badge or see them out;

· Don't allow an unidentified person to pass by you because you think
challenging them is someone else's job. If you want to preserve our freedom
to fly without additional burdens and restrictions being forced upon us, it
is everyone's job to insist in security measures. Don't cause the general
aviation industry to be impacted because you were embarrassed to ask someone
for a badge or too complacent to lock your aircraft. We are all counting on
each other.

Please be aware of planned security tests by the Massachusetts State Police
and others. They are coming soon to your airport again, (you are now on
notice).

Call us at the MAC with questions at (617) 973-8881. "Do not assume
anything. Lock up and challenge everyone. Please!"

Old March 23rd 05, 01:51 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:15:27 GMT, "Steve Foley"
wrote in
PZd0e.33768$FB6.23976@trndny09::

Lock up and challenge everyone. Please!"

Welcome to the 21st century. :-(

Old March 23rd 05, 02:13 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Interesting that they consider a security breach by the media as more
likely
than a plane being stolen and used in an attack

First, way to go Mr. Allen. Who'd have thought a Mass government official
would have such a clue.

Second, the threat from the media is probably a factor of 1,000,000 greater
than that of terorists.

Gig

Old March 23rd 05, 03:40 PM
Peter MacPherson

What a bunch of crap. How much of this "intel" is made up so they
can look like they're doing something. Pathetic.....

Old March 23rd 05, 04:21 PM
Matt Barrow

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Interesting that they consider a security breach by the media as more
likely
than a plane being stolen and used in an attack

First, way to go Mr. Allen. Who'd have thought a Mass government official
would have such a clue.

Second, the threat from the media is probably a factor of 1,000,000

greater
than that of terorists.

The same media that has been big-time cheerleaders for the terrorists!!!

--
Matt
---------------------

Old March 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Interesting that they consider a security breach by the media as more
likely
than a plane being stolen and used in an attack

First, way to go Mr. Allen. Who'd have thought a Mass government official
would have such a clue.

This is the Massachusetts Aeronautical Commission, which is pretty much 100%
aligned with GA since that's all they get to run. Logan Int'l and Hanscom
Field are run by the much-larger Massport, which would be indistinguishable
from a parody of itself.

Of course, Massport would likely agree with MAC's sentiment, since the media
are pretty much their only natural predator. Reporters have gotten a lot
more Massport officials fired than terrorists have.

-cwk.

Old March 23rd 05, 08:06 PM
jsmith

Forget all that.
Just shoot them.
They can identify themselves later.

Old March 24th 05, 01:16 AM
Blueskies

I can just see us all walking aound this ol' grass strip, each of us wearing a gov't authorized ID badge, jsut waiting
for some stranger to show up so we can confront them. And if they have a camera, oh boy, look out...

Old March 24th 05, 09:44 AM
Tim Kemp

jsmith wrote in message .. .
Forget all that.
Just shoot them.
They can identify themselves later.

Or, once they've been challenged and escorted off the ramp, walk them
right back on again and take them flying.

More flies with honey etc.

TK
Old March 24th 05, 01:01 PM
Denny

Better yet, call the local newspaper and/or TV station and ask to talk
to whoever does their general news... Offer to buy them breakfast (the
honey) and then take them for a short flight...
Talk up Gen Av at breakfast (do your homework because some of these
"dummies" can ask sharp questions)... Point out that modern airplanes
have keys just like cars which means they have to be 'broken into' to
be stolen, so why is it the pilots fault that his airplane that might
be stolen, but it is not the car owners fault that his car might be
stolen......
What we are doing here is promoting attitudes and view points that will
influence how they report on aviation in the future - perhaps we can
get rid of the old, " ... and NO flight plan was filed." gasp,
horror...
Point out that any SUV/Pickup/Van can carry many times the load of
explosives that a single engine airplane can, and so forth... Also
stress that the national airspace is public property just like the
parks, sidewalks, streets, highways, lakes, rivers, etc. and that you -
and they - have a constitutional right to use these public spaces, so
why should the owner of a small airplane be subjected to restrictions
that do not apply to cars, boats, trucks, etc.?
Also try to make the point that statistically we kill 110 people a day
in vehicle crashes, 99.9% of which never make national news, yet let a
small airplane slide off a runway and ding a wing, and it's "DETAILS AT
11" and splashed across the front page the next morning...

denny