Gasohol

Old June 5th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

Default Gasohol

("Roger (K8RI)" wrote)
What I have seen is the stuff evaporate in the carburetors and leave a
shelac. However I always turn off the gas and run the carbs dry. The
next season I turn the gase on, wait a few minutes, prime and pull.
They usually start on the first pull.

I would run Dad's snowblower a couple-three-four times per summer.

1. Mother's Day. Run the snowblower out in driveway. Yes, rev it up some.

2. Put in about a 1/2 quart of fresh gas. (It was run dry the last time)

3. Repeat around The 4th, again in September/October, and again before
Thanksgiving.

4. Do something else while the snowblower was running. Front "step" with a
beer often got the vote.

5. I tried all the other stuff. I liked this method best ...for the
snowblower.
(I think the idea of running the snowblower, in shorts and a t-shirt, was
the real appeal to this method)

Montblack
The boat - I did the fogging oil routine, emptied the carbs and filters,
blew out the lines, sloshed the 6 gallon tanks with straight oil, etc.

Old June 5th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("David Lesher" wrote)
I can assure you they will. When a pipeline delivers a tender [batch] of
gasoline into storage tankage; they let it sit for a while, then drain the
bottom of the tank ("water-draw") until they get gas...

At the Brewery (in the 80's) during beer changes, there were these sight
glasses in the lines - at the valves. We'd flush out the line with water,
watch the sight glass ...when we saw bubbles or a definite color change,
we'd wait a few seconds then throw the valve. The water in the line was
pumped out onto the floor, and/or "dumped" with a few spins of the bowl
(a.k.a. the filler).

Montblack

Old June 5th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

I ran out of gas twice with my latest vehicle. I had it before the gasohol
change and I knew where it ran out because I intentionally ran it out while
I was carrying gas for the plane. Since gasohol, I've run out twice well
above the empty mark set before.

Had to shake the car some to get it going when I put gas in, too.

mike

"Bryan Martin" wrote in message
With gasohol, the gas stations no longer have to bother draining out the
accumulated water from their tanks. The small amount of water that
condenses out in the tanks simply dissolves into the next load of
gasohol that gets poured into the tank and you pump a little bit of it
into your car every time you fill up. Of course, if you get too much
water in the gas, it settles out to the bottom of the tank and takes all
the alcohol with it. You end up with a mixture at the bottom that won't
burn worth a damn and the rest of the gasoline with a much reduced
octane rating.

Old June 5th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Cubdriver" wrote

Well, the alky presumably was shipped in full tanks / barrels /
whatever, so we can hope it's undiluted.

But, it is _very_ difficult (it takes some expensive chemistry tricks) to
get all of the water distilled out of alcohol, in other words, stronger than
around 98% alcohol. Is that all the alky producers go for, or do they use
the expensive tricks to get the last two percentage points of water out of
the alky?

I doubt that they would go for the expensive tricks, since the alcohol
will absorb moisture out of the air and from the bottom of the fuel
tanks as soon as it contacts either. There is no point in trying for
higher purity.
Old June 5th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Call up Sportys and tell them you need an MSDS for it.

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message
. ..
Sportys used to sell a test kit that contained a chemical that would turn
purple if added to a fuel sample that was gasahol.

I have no idea of what the chemical was. It was a very easy to test the
fuel. They claim that their supplier no longer exists. I bought a bunch of
the kits and have about 1/2 a vial of the chemical left.

I sure would like to know what the reagent is that was used.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old June 5th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:37:37 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

But, it is _very_ difficult (it takes some expensive chemistry tricks) to
get all of the water distilled out of alcohol, in other words, stronger than
around 98% alcohol.

I think that's correct. When I was a student in England years ago, we
used to buy a liquor known as Polish White Spirits, which was 180
proof or 90 percent. The local wisdom (university students) held that
anything stronger would promptly dilute itself back to 180 proof from
water in the air (this was England, remember, very humid).

Google tells me that one can buy 190 proof (95 percent) "Everclear"
grain alcochol in British stores today.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

(Proof = the concentration of alcohol at which gunpowder soaked with
it will still explode, or rather flash up. It was therefore called
"proof", which later became 100 proof. It just happened to be 50
percent alcohol, so 200 proof is 100 percent.

(More student wisdom.)

(Wiki tells me that 100 proof is actually 49.28 percent alcohol BY
WEIGHT. By volume, it's less, so the student wisdom is a bit shaky.)

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
forthcoming from HarperCollins www.flyingtigersbook.com
Old June 5th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 04:43:05 -0700, Denny wrote:

denny - who is old enough to see the wool over his eyes\\

Denny, you won't see much with the wool over your eyes. For example,
you evidently don't see the difference between gasoline (in economic
terms, a commodity) and whiskey (a franchise).

Do you drink much gasoline in the course of a week?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Old June 5th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer

The reagent is a light purple color and when it is introduced into a sample
of fuel with alcohol it turns the sample purple. A chart is included to
determine the percentage of alcohol. The kits were put together by a "B.B.
Travis Co." PO Box 287 Lodi CA 95241 and are supposedly Patent Pending.

I haven't found any sign of a BB Travis Company but my searching skills
aren't the best.

I have a small amount of the reagent left and would provide it as a sample
to someone who could analyze it.

Paul Anton
N1431A
KPLU

" What is the color of the unreacted reagent? Water clear? I'll as the
chair
of the chem department what it is and maybe buy a gallon or two and sell
it by the vial for only a thousand percent markup {;-)

I'm in training to run a pharmaceutical company

Jim

Old June 5th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Darrel Toepfer

"Tri-Pacer" wrote:

The reagent is a light purple color and when it is introduced into a
sample of fuel with alcohol it turns the sample purple. A chart is
included to determine the percentage of alcohol. The kits were put
together by a "B.B. Travis Co." PO Box 287 Lodi CA 95241 and are
supposedly Patent Pending.

I haven't found any sign of a BB Travis Company but my searching
skills aren't the best.

I called the Lodi Post Office, they handle that zip as well, but can't
give any alternate contact info over the phone...

Post Office - Lodi
(209) 369-2351
120 S School ST
Lodi, CA 95240

Looking through the people and not businesses, I find:

B Travis
(209) 366-1559
Lodi, CA 95240

I left a message on the machine...
Old June 5th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Youngquist

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Morgans wrote:

I have seen pictures of fuel line swollen to the size of sausages, and
who knows what the other rubber parts (O-rings, fuel bladders, if you
have them) would look like, and how much alcohol it would take to get it
to swell.

I'm no expert on the matter, but it's my understanding that that sort of
damage is done by methanol, as used in the early gasohol, but not by the
ethanol that's used in more recent times. Is that incorrect?

-Dan

Gasohol Blueskies Piloting 240 July 6th 07 12:42 AM
How scary is gasohol? Charles Talleyrand Owning 27 March 1st 04 12:39 PM