Which of these is cheating?

Old October 12th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
vincent p. norris

Default Which of these is cheating?

My days as a Naval Aviator ended in 1954. Carrier approaches were
made quite differently from today's. We dragged around the base leg
just above the altitude of the deck at whatever power it took to
maintain airspeed just above a stall, and chopped the power when (if)
we we got a cut.

"Got a cut" means you were hooked by the cable?

No, it means the Landing Signal Officer waved his paddle across his
throat, telling the pilot to chop the throttle for landing.

If you didn't get hooked, what did you do, given that you were already
just above a stall?

If an a/c missed all the arresting cables, it was stopped by the
"barrier"-- a large net stretched across the deck-- to keep it from
running into planes that already landed.

Today, approaches are "straight in," a lot like a VASI or ILS
approach. Power is not "full," it is whatever it takes to stay on
glide slope and correct airspeed.

When the wheels hit the deck, THEN full power is added for a possible
go-round.

Sounds stressful.

I've also read that fighter pilots are more stressed by carrier
landings than by flying in combat. And they say that a carrier deck
is more dangerous than a combat zone.

I've read that.

vince norris
Old October 12th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dana M. Hague d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net writes:

No, not at all. You can have an uncoordinated turn while maintaining
a constant bank and pitch angle.

Yes. In my recent experiments, the horizon looks stable, but the ball
is still sliding to one side.

Old June 16th 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
mike regish

Flying is energy management. You have 2 types of energy to manipulate.
Converting your liquid fuel to thrust (which can be converted to airspeed or
altitude) and your altitude (potential energy) to kinetic energy (either
airspeed or altitude). Which combinations you use depend on what you want to
accomplish. Your goal at landing is to reach the ground at the lowest
possible airspeed. So basically, your are attempting to greet the earth with
the lowest possible energy.

mike

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Lately I have modified my flying methods in the sim in ways that seem
to produce better results, but I don't know if I'm learning to do
things correctly or simply acquiring bad habits. I want to make sure
that I don't "cheat" too much when flying.

Cheating the ILS [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 6 September 3rd 06 04:22 PM
Cheating the Reaper! JJS Piloting 7 July 19th 06 03:34 PM
Blair Manipulated Intelligence to Justify War, says BBC film [email protected] Naval Aviation 4 March 22nd 05 06:45 PM
Date of effect now 1 April 2004 for revised IGC-approval for certain legacy types of GNSS flight recorder Ian Strachan Soaring 56 December 2nd 03 08:08 AM