USAF Phantoms on deck?

Old May 3rd 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Default USAF Phantoms on deck?

The T-2A was a joy in formation. You couldn't maintain 250 in the breakup and would be in trail FOREVER to get back up to speed. There was an alternative accel check on the runway IIRC, something like 70% to Mil in 10 seconds if you couldn't make the idle-mil specified time. The A also had greater speedbrake extention than the B/C to allow the engine to operate at higher, more responsive, RPM.

The B's had J-60's, somewhat more robust than the C's J-85's at the expense of a slightly slower accel to military. VT-9 had 50/50 split of A's and B's and in the old serial form of jet flight training, you did all the early work at VT-7 in A's and then went to VT-9 for Form, Night Fams, and OCF. 1/2 the studs transitioned to the B to start, half just prior to OCF and their trip to Pensacola for guns and CQ in the T-2C at VT-4.

When new, the T-2B/C was a rocket with outstanding thrust to weight. Climb angles around 20 degrees nose up. The engines were so used up by the time I returned as an IP in 1986, they probably didn't have more than 60% of the original advertised thrust. The T-2 was not as rewarding to fly as the TA-4 advanced jet; but even so, it was an outstanding introduction to jet aviation and was ideal for the basic jet / intermediate strike mission.

R / John
"Mike Kanze" wrote in message . ..
OBTW, the T-2A (Had the misfortune to fly iy in basic jet all the way through forms) had a J-34. Idle to Military in 17 seconds. YTou could smoke a cigarette in that amount of time.

Before entering A-6 type training, I was stashed in VT-7 in the final days of the T-2A's existence there. On a hot summer day (plenty of those at NAS Meridian, MS) if the single engine in the A didn't spool up to its 3400 equivalent mousefart in 16 seconds, SOP was to turn around and taxi back to the ramp. Otherwise you'd go nowhere but into the swamp that surrounded three of the four sides of NMM.

By contrast, the T-2B & C were "two-holers," with the C (which replaced the A at VT-7) having a pair of J-85 GE4s. The T-2C was a great little bird that one could also battery-start if needed on a cross-country.

I never flew in the T-2B so can't comment on it.

--
Mike Kanze

"The Internet is like one of those garbage dumps outside of Bombay. There are people, most unfortunately, crawling all over it, and maybe they find a bit of aluminum, or perhaps something they can sell. But mainly it's garbage."

- Joseph Weizenbaum (1923 - 2008), MIT computer science professor and inventor of ELIZA

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:59:27 -0500, "John Carrier"
wrote:

After the C, did USAF had bridle attach points? Were the landing gear identical in spec (IIRC, they were less robust on the E)? I think it's likely that the E had structure optimized for its mission and may no longer have been carrier suitable. USN J/S had fat tires too.

OBTW, the T-2A (Had the misfortune to fly iy in basic jet all the way through forms) had a J-34. Idle to Military in 17 seconds. YTou could smoke a cigarette in that amount of time. By comparison, I can remember a mishap board suggesting an F-4 ramp strike had as a contributing factor the "slower spool-up time" of the J79-10B (smokeless) versus the straight Dash-10. In my opinion, a J-79 had essentially instantaneous throttle response. But what do I know?

R / John

No bridle attachment points on C, D or E. As I recall (and I
occasionally...or maybe often...recall incorrectly), the E had fat
tires and the tell-tale wing bulge to house them. And, as far as I
know the C model had pretty much the same landing gear as the B.

I got to go for a ride in a J off of Forrestal in the Med and remember
being more impressed by the cat shot than the trap.

Sounds as though the T-2A had a similar situation to the T-37 with
it's J-69s--slow spool-up. But, of course like all AF aircraft the
Tweet was generously over-powered...

And, just like you, I share the opinion that the J-79, with or without
smoke, was virtually "power-on-demand". And gobs of it.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old May 3rd 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

SNIP alot

No bridle attachment points on C, D or E. As I recall (and I
occasionally...or maybe often...recall incorrectly), the E had fat
tires and the tell-tale wing bulge to house them. And, as far as I
know the C model had pretty much the same landing gear as the B.

Didn't know one way or the other about the bridle on the USAF versions.
Thanks.

I got to go for a ride in a J off of Forrestal in the Med and remember
being more impressed by the cat shot than the trap.

AKA an "E Ticket" ride

Sounds as though the T-2A had a similar situation to the T-37 with
it's J-69s--slow spool-up. But, of course like all AF aircraft the
Tweet was generously over-powered...

Methinks the F-22 might have "sufficient" thrust. Saw the demo and it was
impressive.

And, just like you, I share the opinion that the J-79, with or without
smoke, was virtually "power-on-demand". And gobs of it.

All things being relative. I envied the F-4 guys for their power (while
flying the Crusader) till I found there wasn't really THAT much more.
Biggest problem adapting to the beast was its tendancy to bleed energy, I'd
find that in a particular maneuver I was always be 50 knots shy of where I'd
be in the F-8 and of course there was all the buffet cues: Light buffet,
moderate buffet, heavy buffet, Jimmy Buffet.

R / John

Old May 3rd 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Sat, 3 May 2008 07:25:08 -0500, "John Carrier"
wrote:

All things being relative. I envied the F-4 guys for their power (while
flying the Crusader) till I found there wasn't really THAT much more.
Biggest problem adapting to the beast was its tendancy to bleed energy, I'd
find that in a particular maneuver I was always be 50 knots shy of where I'd
be in the F-8 and of course there was all the buffet cues: Light buffet,
moderate buffet, heavy buffet, Jimmy Buffet.

R / John

And down in the wardroom, All-You-Can-Eat Buffet.

Old May 4th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

wrote:

All things being relative. I envied the F-4 guys for their power (while
flying the Crusader) till I found there wasn't really THAT much more.
Biggest problem adapting to the beast was its tendancy to bleed energy,
I'd
find that in a particular maneuver I was always be 50 knots shy of where
I'd
be in the F-8 and of course there was all the buffet cues: Light buffet,
moderate buffet, heavy buffet, Jimmy Buffet.

R / John

And down in the wardroom, All-You-Can-Eat Buffet.

Sliders and Auto-dog. Who could ask for anything more?!?

R / John

Old May 4th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
JR Weiss

"John Carrier" wrote...

Sliders and Auto-dog. Who could ask for anything more?!?

Grilled ham, egg, & cheese at Midway Midrats!

Old May 4th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
~^ beancounter ~^

chiefs mess was the place for good grub on
uss ranger.....i got to do my mess duty there and
enjoy the "perks"....nice kp duty...we even had
a few video games then ( 1974-1976)

"John Carrier" wrote...

Old May 6th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
MajorOz

On May 4, 2:02 pm, "rwildes" wrote:
Wake Island wasn't any better! Loved flying the old recips across the big
pond!

....yeah...

36 hrs Travis to Tachi, with two engine changes on the 121 at Midway
(wearing winter uniforms)

cheers

oz, much more comfortable on a C-5

Old May 7th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
WaltBJ

As for the F4C/D/E landing on a carrier - they sure couldn't use the
meatball - my outdated E dash-1 gives the limit sink rate of 720 fpm
at 33000 pounds. 122 KIAS was the basic fence speed on a D before they
axed the BLC. Using that as the minimum coming-aboard speed and 720
fpm gives a glide slope of 3.34 degrees. USN standard is, I believe, 4
1/2 degrees. BTW 122 KIAS is for a clean bird with zero fuel and you
were supposed to add 2 knots for every 1000 pounds above zero fuel.
That of course included your remaining fuel and all the junk hung on
the airplane. The USN tests their birds at around 1400 fpm sink rate
touchdowns before accepting the design for production. I apologize to
the Navy guys if I've got this wrong. AFIK the USAF Phantoms all had
different main landing gears. I know the tires are wider since the
wing above the wheel wells was noticeably bulged. ISTR our D/E tire
pressures were about 100 psi less than the Navy Phantoms' narrower MLG
tires.
As for the BLC-less E model, the lowest practical 'on-speed' (19.2
units AOA) was 145 KIAS @ 32000# right off the graph in the dash-1.
Guess the captain would have to crank up about 30 knots into a stiff
wind to get a USAF Phantom aboard and stopped without dinging
something. The tailhook would certainly take it; I witnessed a 160
knot field engagement with an E carrying 11 Mk 82s once when I was ex
officio 'Mr. Barrier' at Da Nang in 1972.
Walt BJ
Old May 7th 08, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dan[_2_]

WaltBJ wrote:
snip

The tailhook would certainly take it; I witnessed a 160
knot field engagement with an E carrying 11 Mk 82s once when I was ex
officio 'Mr. Barrier' at Da Nang in 1972.
Walt BJ

The one time I saw an F-4E use its tail hook for real, as opposed to
testing the rope, I was surprised at how far the rope paid out. I think
it was at Zaragosa. I don't know whether the hook would have been strong
enough to stop it on a Navy boat, but it sure looked like the stopping
distance was much longer than anything I have seen in the footage of
Navy landings on boats. I'm not sure there would have been a reason to
redesign that part of the airframe to a different standard than Navy F-4.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old pics - new scans 3 - VC10 from 101 Sqn RAF, leading 2 FG1 Phantoms from 43 Sqn Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 15th 08 09:48 PM
What happened to the US AF RF-4 Phantoms ? Prowlus Military Aviation 4 August 28th 04 04:30 PM
gunpods on Phantoms Rob van Riel Naval Aviation 32 March 27th 04 12:37 PM
ECM pods on navy phantoms Rob van Riel Military Aviation 4 October 23rd 03 03:34 AM
Question about GAF Phantoms landing SA Military Aviation 5 October 7th 03 05:17 AM