seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan

Old July 9th 03, 03:04 PM
David Megginson

Default seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan

"Mike & Janet Larke" writes:

1) Can I clear customs at Atikokan (it is listed in AOPA guide
2003-4 as Airport of Entry)? But I've heard rumors that owing to
government cut-backs there's no customs available there this
summer. Any info confirming the situation please by anyone who has
been to CYIB recently?

2) Assuming I can't clear customs etc. at Atikokan, the next nearest
airport on the route appears to be Fort Frances (CYAG) but I do not
see that listed as an Airport of Entry, but I don't really want to
schlepp over to Thunder Bay if not necessary. Is customs available
at CYAG?

Call 1-888-CANPASS and ask them: that's the only way you'll know for
sure about hours, availability, etc.

3) Is lack of emergency landing spots on direct routing over the BWCA/
Quetico something that local pilots (like night single engine) generally
accept as an increased (but acceptable) risk factor . . . or not? Looks like
about 60nm of solid lakes & forest from Ely Minnesota to Atikokan.

When I was flying over Northeastern Ontario, there were a *lot* of
logging roads up there that did't appear on the charts. I wouldn't be
so happy at night, but during the day, I think you'd have a reasonable
number of options if things are the same in Northwestern Ontario and
Minnesota. Besides, ditching on a calm, inland lake should survivable
for you, if not necessarily for your plane.

wondering if there are any free sources for Terminal Procedures for
CYIB (which I know has an NDB approach) / CYAG / CYQT / & CYPL (a
possible side trip) on the Web as per US charts on AOPA?

No. Sadly, Canada does not have the same rules against copyrighting
government publications that the U.S. has, so people are not allowed
to reproduce the charts online.

The current cycle for the CFS, Lo, and CAP is 10 July to 4 September,
so you should be safe ordering now. The prices for Canadian charts
for U.S. suppliers like Sporty's is a bit silly; Canadian FBOs and
flying clubs sometimes have excellent prices, if you can figure out a
way to get them to ship to you, but otherwise, you could try a
Canadian mail-order supplier like World of Maps

http://www.worldofmaps.com/

It could be that they'd be cheaper even with the cross-border
shipping, though I find them pricy compared to my local flying club
(not to mention my Nav Canada subscription).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/