Any way to lower Piper Dakota seat height?

Old October 10th 03, 04:12 AM
Bob Reynolds

Default Any way to lower Piper Dakota seat height?

I'm 6'4" tall and just became a partner in a 1983 Piper Dakota, with
standard seats that allow a vertical adjustment. However, what I'm
finding is that I need about 1" to 2" more of headroom to be
comfortable even when the seat is fully down. Does anyone make an FAA
approved seat that will buy me some more headroom?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions. (I know...I should have paid
more attention to this "detail" BEFORE buying!).

Bob
Old October 10th 03, 05:16 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Bob Reynolds wrote:
I'm 6'4" tall and just became a partner in a 1983 Piper Dakota, with

Have the seat cushions been built up? You could have them rebuilt with
less (but better?) padding.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 10th 03, 05:22 AM
Jay Honeck

Have the seat cushions been built up? You could have them rebuilt with
less (but better?) padding.

That's a good point. On our Pathfinder (which became the Dakota the
following year) we just had our seats re-done, and we're now sitting
considerably higher than before. I now have to adjust the seat all the way
DOWN in order to fly -- and I'm only six feet tall. (Mary, at five feet
tall, is ecstatic with the new seats!)

I would think thinner padding would do the trick -- if you can convince the
other partner(s) to do this?

Or, I suppose, you could cut down the seat frame -- but getting that field
approved might be tough?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA