Seminole Lake Owner Arrested

Old February 16th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seminole Lake Owner Arrested

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 9:25:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
https://www.caymancompass.com/2015/1...nian-fugitive/

Extradition approved for Romanian fugitive

By James Whittaker -

December 31, 2015

The founder of the secret police service of Romania will be sent back to his home country to face jail time for corruption, a court in the Cayman Islands ruled this week.

Mihai Tanjala, a politician and entrepreneur in the former Communist country was sentenced in 2011 to five years in prison for a fraudulent business deal. He fled Romania and has been on the run ever since.

According to testimony from an Immigration officer and an Interpol agent, he arrived in the Cayman Islands from Cuba, undetected, in September. It was only when he tried to enter Jamaica after boarding a flight to Kingston on Oct. 14 that anyone noticed there was an international warrant out for his arrest.

Romanian authorities were alerted and he was sent back to Grand Cayman to face an extradition hearing.

Tanjala, who appeared before Chief Magistrate Nova Hall in a two-day hearing either side of Christmas, attempted to argue that he had been unfairly convicted in his home country for political reasons.

He claimed his life would be at risk if he was sent back to Romania and pleaded with the magistrate not to approve the extradition request.

At one point during the hearing, Tanjala suggested that if the authorities did not believe he was innocent, he could serve out his sentence in the Cayman Islands.

"If it is expensive for Cayman to keep me here, I will pay for jail."

He maintained he was not guilty of the crime for which he was convicted. "I didn't make any crime," he told the court in broken English.

"You can't extradite me for something that didn't happen. I am not a criminal, I am innocent. Please try to see the truth. If I was convicted by abuse, what do you think will happen to me in Romania?"

The magistrate, in her ruling Tuesday afternoon, said the court had no jurisdiction to make a determination on Tanjala's guilt or innocence.

She said the court was satisfied that he had been convicted in Romania and said his claims that he was victimized for political reasons could not be substantiated.

She ordered that he be handed over to Romanian authorities. Mr. Tanjala has indicated he will now file a writ of habeus corpus in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands to officially contest his original conviction.

The court heard that he had absconded from Romania immediately after his conviction and had been a fugitive ever since. He claims he was fleeing an injustice and was attempting to reopen his case from exile in the U.S.

Tanjala was convicted of deliberately underselling property of a company, part-owned by the Romanian state, to a family member.

It was alleged that as administrator of the company IC IGMUG SA Giurgiu, he had become aware of an offer to buy the property from another firm, Zone Libere SA.

Instead of authorizing the deal, he orchestrated the sale of the asset to a company owned by his wife for a fraction of the price. That company then made the deal with Zone Libere SA at a massive profit.

During the hearing, Tanjala repeatedly challenged the evidence and cast himself as a victim of political persecution.

The 58-year-old was a member of the social democratic party that ruled Romania in the immediate aftermath of the fall of Communism and the execution of dictator Nicolae Ceausescu.

In the chaotic privatization of state assets that followed the 1989 revolution, there were numerous allegations of corrupt deals, including the appropriation of state assets and businesses at prices far below their actual value.

Mr. Tanjala, during the hearing, painted himself as a campaigner who had fought for the return of property and businesses taken from the people at the inception of the Communist regime.

He claimed to have won several legal victories in the civil courts against the Romanian state and brought corruption in the privatization process to the attention of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes in Washington.

The media in Romania has reported that he is actually accused of being on the other side of this process and could face potential prosecution in connection with other business deals if he is returned to his home country.

Mr. Tanjala cited this possibility himself as evidence he should not be extradited, claiming in a written submission to the court, "Currently in Romania there is an intensive media campaign on his extradition in Romania and it officially shows that he is expected to open new trials and to be sentenced to life imprisonment for indefeasible criminal offences, but which he did not commit, resulting in being sentenced for life."

Prosecutor Cheryll Richards said nothing had been presented that supported his claims that the Romanian system was not working in an appropriate way..

"There was no evidence for what he said that he was at war with the Romanian state," she said. "It appeared that he was following a legitimate process that had resulted in his favor ...

"He seems to have benefited from the very system he says is being used against him."

She said there was nothing to suggest that his crime was for anything other than the "ordinary criminal purpose of financial gain."

Magistrate Hall ordered that a warrant of committal be signed for his transfer back to Romania.

Old February 16th 16, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen

[...]

To the soaring community,

There are times in everyone's lives we find ourselves facing tough situations. Mr. Tanjala is dealing with some issues that could have a profound impact on his life. Prior to his departure from the U.S., he secured the financial health and ensured new leadership was in place for Seminole Flying and Soaring which is the company that operates Seminole-Lake Gliderport. He did this out of respect for the soaring community. He has enjoyed the camaraderie and friendship with all the visitors, pilots, and Seniors contestants through the years. His commitment to the business is strong and we plan to get better every year. Mihai is always in our thoughts and we wish him a quick resolution to his situation. The Senior Soaring Championship and OLC Camp are on track and ready to go. We look forward to seeing our friends down in sunny Florida very soon. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at 352-394-5450 (office) or 407-325-6500 (cell) Sincerely, Rich Owen, Vice President, Seminole Flying and Soaring
Old February 16th 16, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Rich, I look forward to trailering over and having some fun with the FL thermals.
Dan

Old February 20th 16, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the update Rich. We will try to pull the Discus out of mothballs and get over to our favorite gliderport this Sunday.

Old February 20th 16, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Well, if that were only true.

I have been to Seminole Lake twice in the last few years, and I have found it to be the worst run organization in aviation, of any kind, that I have ever been to. Yes, they have a nice clubhouse and a nice grass strip, but the staff is so rude and disorganized that I will never go back there again..

--Susan

Susan, Sorry you feel this way or believed you were treated poorly. I just left there on Feb 19th, and all staff were professional, knowledgeable, and courteous. I have been to Seminole 3-4 times in the past few years as well and I can not think of anything negative about the place.

While there I saw Cliff performing maintenance on a Pawnee, an AD being done on the 103, the field being mowed, general cleaning, and a lot of socializing. I did inquire to Cliff about the tow ropes that were being used and he was very informative about the ropes retirement time, ect.

I know the office manager is attending school and several different accasions someone else stood by for her, but I saw no discontinuity in operation.

I don't think the amount of money I spent there had any difference in the way I was treated. However, I was not demanding nor treated anyone like they were working for me and I gave an occasional hand to help get a glider in and out of a hangar. Sometimes the way people treat us is due to how we treat others. Just hard for me to believe everyone on staff woke up on the wrong side of bed on the same days.

PS: While there I did notice that Mihai called several times.

Casey
Old February 22nd 16, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, Casey, I'm glad you had a good time.

Unfortunately, you decided to delve into victim-blaming by suggesting "Sometimes the way people treat us is due to how we treat others."

I have heard this so many times. "Maybe if she didn't wear that top, then guys wouldn't stare." "Maybe if she didn't say that, then guys wouldn't proposition her".

Whether I am a woman or a man, stop assuming that somehow I deserved to be treated poorly.

Regards, Susan

Old February 23rd 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

He didn't suggest it was because you were a woman, he suggested you were maybe not nice. But that is probably unfair too. We weren't there. All we know so far is what you posted here.

Boggs
Old February 25th 16, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henry Retting

Now Susan Honey....you are obviously from the North. Those boys were only
doing what a Southern Lady wants...to be notice and admired for her beauty.

If it happens to be her bosoms, which yours must be lovely base on the
level of your anger, it only means they admire your lovelyness. Yes, some
can lose track and become 'loss' in the moment, but here is a chance for
you to show your grace.
Simply wait to catch their gaze , smile, and say "Lovely, are they not?".
And if they proposition you.or take flirting a little far...well no harm or
foul ....
thank them for their interest but your heart belongs to another.
Tell them how good looking they are even if they are the ungliest creature
to walk the earth.
And understand that at least you were bless, for so many others live a life
in the dark.
You all play nice when Susan returns now, ya hear?
All the best , Susan.

Old February 25th 16, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

It is hard enough to attract and retain women in this sport, and posts like the last one, while tongue in cheek, are counterproductive to what we want in our sport IMHO.

Boggs